Search the forum,

Discuss good 18v cordless? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

zackb

hi all,
any recommendations on a good cordless 18v drill within a bugdet of £90?
the one i have now just cant do the job anymore lol
thanks
zack

on that budget you will struggle a bit.
the new ryobi stuff isnt bad at all though and will probably be around 90 quid.

either that or start saving

Milwaukee fuel all the way. out of your budget but are a hell of a lot cheaper when bought from America r

Do you have other cordless gear, if your batteries are ok try finding a bare unit that takes your other batteries that may help in that price range.

True, if you up your budget a bit you can go Makita

Makita DHP453RFW 18V 3.0Ah Li-Ion Cordless LXT Combi Drill | Cordless Combi Drills | Screwfix.com

where I suppose a 3A bat will last twice as long as a 1.5A.

3Ah battery will last twice as long on a charge as a 1.5Ah, but I would prefer to have two of 1.5Ah batteries as only one 3Ah battery. That way I have lighter batteries & always one fully charged, yet same power & run time overall.
My brother has the Hitachi Combi drill for DIY use, but I wouldn't rate it much. It cuts out if you work it hard & it's a bit bulky. But to be fair, it is a very decent drill for the money, but it is not a pro drill. The Bosch combi drill from Screwfix with 2 of 2Ah batteries for £150 has good torque & nice & compact size.

Last edited:
3Ah battery will last twice as long on a charge as a 1.5Ah, but I would prefer to have two of 1.5Ah batteries as only one 3Ah battery. That way I have lighter batteries & always one fully charged, yet same power & run time overall.
My brother has the Hitachi Combi drill for DIY use, but I wouldn't rate it much. It cuts out if you work it hard & it's a bit bulky. But to be fair, it is a very decent drill for the money, but it is not a pro drill. The Bosch combi drill from Screwfix with 2 of 2Ah batteries for £150 has good torque & nice & compact size.

I agree that two batteries are preferable but my reasoning is it starts him on a far superior platform and if he want's to buy an impact driver, SDS or even just another battery he can do so at a later date when he has or is willing to spend more money. Tbh mate I don't think Ive never seen a Makita 18v Combi with 2 bats at that price usually they're £200 + unless I'm mistaken.

Last edited:
I agree that two batteries are preferable but my reasoning is it starts him on a far superior platform and if he want's to buy an impact driver, SDS or even just another battery he can do so at a later date when he has or is willing to spend more money. Tbh mate I don't think Ive never seen a Makita 18v Combi with 2 bats at that price usually they're £200 + unless I'm mistaken.

Yes, you could be right Antdad, - the Makita might be decent enough, although as you know, there are cheap DIY & more professional versions from most manufacturers which all tend to look like same quality & usually with deliberately confusingly model numbers. I decided to avoid the Makita with one battery partly because I think two batteries are essential for times when the drill power dies.
Maybe cheaper versions of Dewalt are also worth a look at. Guess it is what feels good in the hand.
I have some 22volt Hilti stuff now, which are so powerful. I won't ever go with underpowered cheap drills anymore.

I didn't consider the white makita could be a cheaper DIY version, could be or perhaps it has more appeal to female DIY'ers? Dunno never handled one, just saw it advertised.

Perhaps we should ask the OP what the hell he's going to be using it for...LOL.

For £90 you'll be getting plastic gears in all the branded stuff. The macalister stuff in b and q is actually hard wearing and cheap enough to be disposable. Mechanic I know purchased their impact wrench with that notion and still has it 3 years on

At that price you will get a medioca drill but if you could go that wee bit further then the quality rises. Makita have a couple good drills on offer but for 90 quid the batteries supplied although 18v there less oomph at just 1.3 ah as I see there onto 4ah

thanks all for the advice, i think ill get thehitachi-dv18ds 5ah 18v as its in my price range and it wont be used for heavy work just for clipping out pipework and hanging rads and basins

thanks all for the advice, i think ill get thehitachi-dv18ds 5ah 18v as its in my price range and it wont be used for heavy work just for clipping out pipework and hanging rads and basins
They are great drills. More than you will need.

Wouldn't touch those 1.3 a/h makitas , got one myself and absolutely zero oomph batts forever on charge

ordered a hitachi combi drill with 2 x 1.5ah li ion batterys and a titan sds drill cause it was on offer,thanks for all your advice
zack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to good 18v cordless? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock