Search the forum,

Discuss Going self employed... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Q

Quinn Ransley

Currently working for large company doing a range of work from commercial plumbing and heating in schools and hospitals to new and refurb flats domestic houses, bathrooms (can tile too) and large plant rooms, domestic and commercial boiler installs and even started supervising large jobs and Id like to say I've got a large amount of experience.
I've been plumbing now for 6 years. I'm currently 24 living at home not many out goings at All. I'm seriously thinking of going self employed for various reasons such as, it's what I've always wanted to do, I have people I know but in trades and not offering me work privately all the time, money potentially being better as money on the company I'm on isn't too good.
The only thing holding me back is although I have experience/ learnt about gas, e.g. Done a gas foundation course and done work under someone with gas safe I actually don't have my gas. The company in with won't put me through it either, so the plan I have is to go self employed and build my own work, work with people I know with gas to gain experience and maybe even others if I offer working with them voluntarily to gain experience and slowly fill the portfolio I have to fill before I can take the CCN1.

Might be over thinking but just comments or anything too see if this is a realistic plan from some more experienced guys would be great, thank you.

Being SE isn`t for everybody and in the last year or so some members have gone back to PAYE.

PS. Welcome to the forum.

Go for it bud before you get tied down with a family mortage ect you only get out what you put in so be prepared to work hard, you will need a certain amount of money behind you to start with for a van , tools public liability best of luck regards kop

Have a go not for everyone, more give it up than stick it out, can involve longer Hrs than you are doing now for a lot less money and no guarantee of constant work even harder if you cant do gas

TBH, why work for free and spend a fortune getting CNN1, when you can earn as much doing quality plumbing and charging properly for your time?
There are muppets with gas doing LL certs and fitting boilers for peanuts, you have to either work for crap rates like them or convince enough punters (and yourself) that you are worth a lot more.
Personally, I would hold back, and look for a job where the employer will encourage and pay for your development. Not that it will be easy finding one!
How much are you earning now? You could do worse than try with BG. They come in for a lot of slagging, but when trained your basic is around £42K, I beleive.

I've gone self employed a couple of months back so can give you some fresh advise, some not relevant as I'm gas safe registered. Whatever you think you will spend on initial set up, double it. Whatever you think you will earn, half it. Don't expect to be able to look at a mortgage for at least 4 years as they take into account your last 3 years reading and year 1 probably won't be that good. I've been in the industry for just over 8 years but am 40 in a few months. I am finding a lot of people trust me as I am older. You may find that although you sound like you know what you are doing, it may be a bit harder to get private customers. Try and find a couple of builders that will give you some regular work until you can stand on your own 2 feet. For me it was largely so I could be around for my children more as the missus works a lot. It's working out well so far but that's because I am only looking for a few jobs per day. I probably only work a total of 3 days spread over the week. If you want it, you will do well but don't expect to be flat out after just one week. And as previous comments. Become a good plumber and you can earn a fortune without all the stress of gas regs, ticket renewals etc.

Hi, I am due to renew my Gas licence next Feb but probably won't bother, finchy01 is correct about plumbing in regards to delivering a quality product at a good price. I do a few boilers and Gas work but loads of general plumbing. The gas industry is good but comes with lots of hassle. Become the best plumber you can, understand how the systems work because believe it or not many gas people know about gas but struggle with real plumbing problems. Good luck.

Hi, I am due to renew my Gas licence next Feb but probably won't bother, finchy01 is correct about plumbing in regards to delivering a quality product at a good price. I do a few boilers and Gas work but loads of general plumbing. The gas industry is good but comes with lots of hassle. Become the best plumber you can, understand how the systems work because believe it or not many gas people know about gas but struggle with real plumbing problems. Good luck.
Exactly. I have never made a secret of that fact as far as I am concerned. I raced through the courses to get my qualifications for gas. What this means is that I haven't done a great deal of plumbing. I leave the bathrooms to the plumbers and I do the heating side. I know some very successful plumbers as people are happy to spend £1000s on a lovely new bathroom but whinge when they have to spend £3000 on a new heating system as they can't really show a new boiler off to all their friends in the same way as they can a new bathroom!

I'm not a plumber but I did start my business when I was 24. In general, I would say go for it or else you will look back in 10 years and ask yourself "what if...?"

But remember that all business are the same. Just because you can do a job well does not mean you will get customers. Most new restaurants go bust because the owner thought all they needed to do was cook well. Your potential customers have never heard of you. They can't call you because they don't know you exist. Even when they have heard of you, they won't trust you.

Marketing is the answer to both of those things and is the single most important aspect for any new business. Make sure people know you exist and set about creating a trust worthy image. Just because you can knock out a fancy website doesn't mean anyone will visit your website. Make sure it and you are listed everywhere. But don't forget the old school - flyers in local letterboxes and an ad in your local newsagent window still work. Make the most out of publicising positive feedback from your jobs.

Very best of luck :)

DC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Going self employed... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock