Search the forum,

Discuss Glow Worm Ultimate boiler no ignition and no pilot... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, I came in tonight and turned the central heating up. Nothing happened. It was working fine this morning. There is no pilot light and the igniter is not firing. Power is getting to the controls, as I can here a click as I turn the power on, after turning it off from the switch. I am going to call out an engineer (I have left a message for one to call). I have no intention of fiddling with it myself, as I am not qualified. Having said that, I do have a pretty good idea of how it works, in principle. What would stop the igniter from firing? I was hoping that someone might be able to give me a few pointers to help me evaluate what the engineer says, when he calls.

Thanks,
Suds.

The only thing that you can try is this button. See if it has popped out.

01F6DE47-20AB-4D9C-ADB8-EAB79CB67CDC.jpeg

The only thing that you can try is this button. See if it has popped out.

View attachment 38513
if not gsr you should not go in there or are none gsr allowed to go into the bottom bit ? .....rest assured the problem will be quite straight fwds. its not the boiler from what you say....I know these ones inside out, apart from fan problems they are unburstabke.
centralheatking

Why does no one trust what their engineer tells them anymore it rather does my head in

How many times have people been on here asking for advice because they’ve had said engineer(s) out already, and quite often the answer is to get another competent engineer in? :):)

How many times have people been on here asking for advice because they’ve had said engineer(s) out already, and quite often the answer is to get another competent engineer in? :):)
I suppose the answer is that we at UKPF are here and if ultimately it builds up trust in our industry and re inforces gas safety then its a service we volunteer freely Rob Foster
aka centralheatking

I totally agree with what you are saying, what I meant was he and others are probably sceptical because of all the horror stories and TV shows like rogue traders, which is both informative and puts doubts in people’s minds. I’m one of them, taken my car into garages on occasions to find out it needs this or that, and wonder, did they put that fault there? Or are they pulling the wool over my eyes?

We had an old Heatline combi in our old house, nothing fundamentally wrong with it but cheap and nasty and badly installed. Sods law it always broke when I was away with work.

Getting anyone out to fix it was a nightmare, in 4 years we probably had 5 breakdowns. We tried about 10 local family roughly 5 of just never turned up. 3 were only interested in swapping it, one fired up the parts cannon and just started changing bits at random until it worked.

After a that guy I gave up and set her up with a service contract with BG. After taking a subscription for 18 months they came out on a call and told us they couldn’t get parts so wouldn't touch it.

The only one who seemed to offer a fair service was a young lad, actually turned up when he said he would (or kept us updated if running late). Was competent in repairs, courteous to the Mrs and always left the place tidy.

In my experience it’s not just the rouge trader type shows that have impacted the public perception of those in plumbing and heating. I may mustn’t have been unlucky, I’m sure there are good guys/girls out there but possibly so busy they don’t always answer the phone.

if not gsr you should not go in there or are none gsr allowed to go into the bottom bit ? ...rest assured the problem will be quite straight fwds. its not the boiler from what you say....I know these ones inside out, apart from fan problems they are unburstabke.
centralheatking
The control knob for the thermostat is a user control.

We had an old Heatline combi in our old house, nothing fundamentally wrong with it but cheap and nasty and badly installed. Sods law it always broke when I was away with work.

Getting anyone out to fix it was a nightmare, in 4 years we probably had 5 breakdowns. We tried about 10 local family roughly 5 of just never turned up. 3 were only interested in swapping it, one fired up the parts cannon and just started changing bits at random until it worked.

After a that guy I gave up and set her up with a service contract with BG. After taking a subscription for 18 months they came out on a call and told us they couldn’t get parts so wouldn't touch it.

The only one who seemed to offer a fair service was a young lad, actually turned up when he said he would (or kept us updated if running late). Was competent in repairs, courteous to the Mrs and always left the place tidy.

In my experience it’s not just the rouge trader type shows that have impacted the public perception of those in plumbing and heating. I may mustn’t have been unlucky, I’m sure there are good guys/girls out there but possibly so busy they don’t always answer the phone.
simple answer for this is its a heatline and they were crap thats why more than likeley people wouldnt turn up. i wouldnt touch them. breakdowns and servicing was 95% of my business first question most breakdown engineers ask is what boiler is it.

To be fair I can see why many people want a rough idea what might be wrong before (or after) an engineer turns up. 'Competent' is the issue here with faults and diagnosing. Most engineers would probably turn up and look at a 20 year old boiler and say new boiler time rather than try and find the fault.

It's evident on my estate, that's full of 15+ year old Ultimates. A few people have had them replaced when in reality most of them a very easily repairable, most of them just not working from the lack of servicing (GSR engineers will know what I mean here) or external factors such as controls.

simple answer for this is its a heatline and they were crap thats why more than likeley people wouldnt turn up. i wouldnt touch them. breakdowns and servicing was 95% of my business first question most breakdown engineers ask is what boiler is it.

If people don’t know enough to fix them and decline the offer of work that’s fair enough. But to accept the offer, set an appointment and then not turn up makes you look pretty unprofessional.

I have the same issue as Suds. My hive hub broke and on the same day my boiler stopper working, (I assume it was just the HIVE). Ive replaced the hive kit and the receiver is working fine. Water heating comes on occasionally when prompted, but CH will not start. NO fan noise, leds or pilot light or sparking? I'm ging to replace the PCB as looking online its the most likely issue?

Any further advice would be great??

Reply to Glow Worm Ultimate boiler no ignition and no pilot... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi I have a Glow-worm back boiler which is giving me grief (I would have upgraded it by now but its a listed building and there's issues with venting through the external wall and I'm reluctant to go with an electric boiler instead (because of the consumption cost)). It's a sealed system. The...
Replies
Views
Can anyone tell me of a boiler equivalent to a Glow worm micron 30ff. I am not sure what one I should get?
Replies
Views
The flue for a glow worm micron 30ff is apparently obsolete but there must be other flues that would fit it surely, it's just a standard 100mm horizontal flue right? I mean when a bg gas engineer tells you that you'll have to change the whole boiler as well because you can apparently no longer...
Replies
Views
P
Does anyone know where I can find the decibel rating for the British Gas 330+ boiler? I'm looking to get it replaced and wanted to compare it against the Glow worm energy 18r or 25r boilers (18W or 25W) or does anyone have any experience of these two models in terms of how noisy they are?
Replies
Views
C
I have a old glowworn hideaway boiler which has been working perfectly until a few days ago, had a engineer come out and change the thermocouple and it now ignites and stays lit.. that is until the central heating is turned on, stays on for around 10 mins and then completely cuts off. Reset...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock