Search the forum,

Discuss Glow worm 15hxi - dripping water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

43741256-6FD1-4608-9054-C43C29E48CD7.jpeg
43741256-6FD1-4608-9054-C43C29E48CD7.jpeg
Hi, over the last couple of days I’ve noticed that there's water dripping from the corner of the boiler. This only happens when the boiler is in use. Up to now the boiler is functioning and heating water and central heating. I would just like to be advised whether this is going to be a major problem or something that is fixable. It was installed March 2007. The drips are dripping from the locations circles red, the white pipe is the waste water pipe. Thank you

Call an enginner to come look at it, if it's only leaking during use then you may have an issue with condensate sump or trap. Don't ignore it though, condensate water is corrosive so the more you leave it the more damage may be done.

Thank you, would the trap be located internally or is it visible underneath (anywhere on pic). I’m not going to mess with it, it’s so I can observe until I can get an engineer. It’s switched off at the moment and will only use it for a short time later when temp drops.

♀️ Oh yeah. Suppose I can’t complain really this is the first problem I’ve ever had with the boiler it’s been quite good to me. Maybe it’s time to upgrade. Is nearly 12 years old for a boiler?

It’s done well. Would I be right in saying minimal annual servicing has been carried out???

Probably more like minimal usage. From about April to October it’s never or rarely used, I still have a hot water tank with a good old Emersion heater and electric cooker so I don’t need to use gas in the warmer months.

Fair enough but all the same you should really get your boiler serviced annually as even when it’s off things can wear it is still full of water after all

I still have a hot water tank with a good old Emersion heater and electric cooker so I don’t need to use gas in the warmer months.

It's a lot cheaper to heat water with gas than by electricity. My leccy costs 6 times per unit what my gas costs. It's fine to run a boiler on HW for, e.g., an hour a day even when the CH is not required and this is usually what gives best value.

Fair enough but all the same you should really get your boiler serviced annually as even when it’s off things can wear it is still full of water after all
That`s interesting, what parts can wear even when the boiler is off?

Well it’s still full of water mate seals can give etc there is a head of water pressure wise still upon it or It could be a sealed system making it under 1-1.5 bar pressure constantly

That`s interesting, what parts can wear even when the boiler is off?
I wouldn’t say they necessarily wear. Just having the water stay inside the boiler with no circulation can definitely cause issues.

It's a lot cheaper to heat water with gas than by electricity. My leccy costs 6 times per unit what my gas costs. It's fine to run a boiler on HW for, e.g., an hour a day even when the CH is not required and this is usually what gives best value.
Hi, I’ll be honest its a prepayment gas meter so when it runs out then I don’t top up Til it’s cold. Plus I hated going in the cuboard full of spiders. It just became an annual thing I didn’t then. However now I’m smart so my electrical and gas are combined and I don’t run out. It will be interesting to see my annual costs. Monthly costs are shocking ha!
Back to the boiler. If the problem is the condensing thing. (I know you’d need to inspect it visually in person to establish the problem properly) Do you know what the average cost is usually?I know it varies depending on company/GSE used. Just a rough idea
Also is it a minor repair or major. Thank you all

It may not be condense just because that’s where the drip is doesn’t mean that’s the cause. You will just need a GSE

Be aware I only mentioned the possibility of an issue with your condensate based on you saying it only leaked during use. It could be numerous things causing it so please don't go questioning your engineer if he says something different. The last thing he/she will want to hear is "well that's not what Craig on the plumbing forum said" :D.

Be aware I only mentioned the possibility of an issue with your condensate based on you saying it only leaked during use. It could be numerous things causing it so please don't go questioning your engineer if he says something different. The last thing he/she will want to hear is "well that's not what Craig on the plumbing forum said" :D.
Ha no I wouldn’t, I just wanted an average price so i have an idea.
The boiler is currently in use, it’s just occasional drips. But I’ve measured the water collected in 24 hours around 120mls give or take a drip. ( also the water appears to have a a yellow/orange tint).

Reply to Glow worm 15hxi - dripping water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock