Search the forum,

Discuss Getting really fed up with this in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

hammers4spanner

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Basically landlords who ask for you to do a number of landy gas certs .

They email a list of numbers and then spend half your time texting or phoning tenants. You then get a ridiculous time after 5 pm when they are home to do the cert. Or they cancel you last minute and arrange another after hours time.

Its getting to the point where some days I'm sat at home for hours waiting for them to come home.

I dont do 24 hours nor not really into working late like this .
What you guys do??

Simple way

Arrange all on same day eg 6 a day etc
If there not in move on and bill the landlord for a wasted trip

You will either find once he's had a missed call bill or two he will come round and open up with you or give you a set of keys

Just ask for keys to the properties or for him to come around with you all on the same day.

I dont work for many landlords , but I call the shots not them , honest .
I’m with you Town. I’m too busy to worry about landlords. They either work to my structure or they can disappear. I win some and lose some. I don’t miss the ones that I lose as I have probably lost them for a reason. I.e to strict or not cheap enough.

They cant just give you keys the tenant has to give permission for you to enter the property , pita but charge accordingly if he dont pay then dont do the work , i dropped one of mine as i got fed up chasing him for payments plenty more out there . cheers kop

But the landlord gives you permission

The Tenant or family member has to be there you could be accused of all sorts of stuff, then theres animals cats and dogs getting out sod that dont trust anyone me . cheers kop

As some have said, the tenant is the only person that can give permission for anyone to enter the property.
Tenants could accuse you of stealing or damaging their property and you obviously can't walk in on female tenants.
The law basically is that the tenant has rights and not even a landlord/owner can go into the property without tenants permission. And that also includes where tenants haven't paid rent for months and years. Only a court can overrule a tenant who refuses entry.
I have to try to work with tenants who are difficult to arrange reasonable times with. I like to keep texting them and if they mess me about I then tell landlord to contact them.

The landlord doesn't technically require permission to enter a property, but must give 24 hours' written notice before entering. The tenant, however, can legally refuse entry anyway. Sounds like a technicality, but the difference is that if the tenant has been properly informed and hasn't objected, then, if the tenant is out and the landlord, or you as his agent, goes in, there is not a problem. But not much good if you turn up to do work and then the tenant asks you to leave.

But if the tenant doesn't agree you cannot much do about it as it's still tenanted property. They have rights as they pay rent etc. You cannot just walk in as landlord either.

they get notified before hand so its ok

x at x time at x date will be coming to do a boiler service etc

Nothing really a landlord can do though if the tenant decides to ignore them or keeps the property locked.

no but if you phone cadet up they will cap the gas meter for a non serviced appliance on rented

That is nonsense.
There is no regulation that says
appliances should be serviced in rented properties.

yes, need to show you've exhausted all other options and then go down the legal route, in short they either let you in or gas networks cap your supply / meter

Normally this can be resolved one way or the other I have had missed appointments sometimes 2 or 3 but have always got in eventually , the gas transporter has rights of entry and can enter a property if it is suspected there is a danger to life or property from a gas supply or appliance , the landlord can enter the property only with the tenants permission at a agreed time usually every 6 months to inspect the property for damages this is written into the tenants agreement but us as a service engineer no we have no rights, i just leave a calling card stating the legal requirement to have a appliance inspected and serviced every 12 months other than that you cannot do much more . Cheers kop

As an ex landlord i always had in my contracts that 24 hours notice was required for me to enter.
I have had awkward tenants where the refused me entry so i got legal advice and i was allowed if they signed the contract . However i was advised that i should go accompanied if the tenant was particularly awkward.

The govt have made in incredibly awkward now for landlords and to be honest i don't know how they make money these days.

The govt have made in incredibly awkward now for landlords and to be honest i don't know how they make money these days.

Well, by charging rent above the cost of maintaining the property. A well-maintained property makes money easily enough. Unless it's on a mortgage I suppose, but then you're still getting your mortgage paid off.

Tenants often just suddenly disappear without notice, leaving the landlord with a couple months unpaid rent, plus perhaps 3 or 4 months before a new tenant can be found. Then there is the usual "minor" damage, - worn, dirty paintwork, carpets, broken taps etc.
So can be easily 6 months rent lost and a few hundred for fixing the interior.
And that is not an extreme example.
I had one tenant - single lady, who while I was repairing an immersion refused me going upstairs to repair a shower as was arranged. She moved out long after and it was discovered the plastic bath had a hole in it.

Tenants often just suddenly disappear without notice, leaving the landlord with a couple months unpaid rent, plus perhaps 3 or 4 months before a new tenant can be found. Then there is the usual "minor" damage, - worn, dirty paintwork, carpets, broken taps etc.
So can be easily 6 months rent lost and a few hundred for fixing the interior.
Agree with all of that, though my personal experience is that most letting agents are useless so self-management seems to work better as things such as maintenance get done timely and properly.
But yes, a bad tenant is a fine nuisance and nothing else.
What I noticed is that my house sat empty for over a month while the agency was trying to relet it and then I spent nearly a week getting it all cleaned to a hotel standard as the old tenants had had a go but - well, cleaning, whatever they say, isn't something everyone knows how to do. The next people to view paid the deposit within an hour of viewing it: the right house relets easily. Doesn't help if the house wasn't purchased with a view to potentially letting though.

That is nonsense.
There is no regulation that says
appliances should be serviced in rented properties.
You will be surprised, there are rules for rented properties that you have to service the boiler once a year. I've got many friends they work for estate agents and they have to make sure that the boiler or any gas applicant ever is been serviced because the tenant has hardly any influcence on that apart from mentioning.

You will be surprised, there are rules for rented properties that you have to service the boiler once a year. I've got many friends they work for estate agents and they have to make sure that the boiler or any gas applicant ever is been serviced because the tenant has hardly any influcence on that apart from mentioning.

There is no rule or regulation that say a boiler in a rented property must be serviced once a year or serviced at all.

All gas appliances in rented properties must pass a gas safety inspection on an annual basis and the landlord issued with a certificate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Getting really fed up with this in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock