Search the forum,
  • Thread starter Dickie
  • Start date
  • Replies 9
  • Views 2K

Discuss Geared up for 2016 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dickie

Like many I'm involved in a lot of new build & it does appear to be enjoying a wee boost over the last few months. One fact that was pointed out to me the other day that I have not given much thought to: After 2016 all new builds will be 'no gas' & only a Green friendly heating appliance should be fitted. Whit this in mind, what action are you guys taking to stay ahead of the game??

I can see it being postponed again until they can provide us with more electricity as we won't be able to cope by 2015 apparently and will start to have power cuts, never mind new houses being fitted with electric boilers etc.

Are you sure that they won't be able to have gas, even for cooking?

I can see it being postponed again until they can provide us with more electricity as we won't be able to cope by 2015 apparently and will start to have power cuts, never mind new houses being fitted with electric boilers etc.

Are you sure that they won't be able to have gas, even for cooking?

I'm not too sure mate, I've not studied the details.

A long time before 2016 for rules to be changed :)

New houses will have to be upto A cerrtain energy rating
But they can't stop you putting in whatever heating you want as long as that is to there energy ratings too
Most new government housing has to be upto certain energy specs now
On average I'd say the plumbing is on average touching ÂŁ20k for a 2 bedroom house
That's water harvesting (tenants turn pump off when they realise it costs them money in electricity )
DF solar to cylinders (and then fit electric showers)
The government departments are a total joke and will be miles behind by there so called deadline as usual then change the date lol

Like many I'm involved in a lot of new build & it does appear to be enjoying a wee boost over the last few months. One fact that was pointed out to me the other day that I have not given much thought to: After 2016 all new builds will be 'no gas' & only a Green friendly heating appliance should be fitted. Whit this in mind, what action are you guys taking to stay ahead of the game??

Sorry, a bit long. It's a good read though.

I found this PDF on www.decc.gov.uk

"The Future of Heating:A strategic framework for low carbon heat in the UK" March 2012
http://www.decc.gov.uk/assets/decc/1...-framework.pdf

From the above:
And, while natural gas will supply the majority of our heat demand well into the 2020s, cutting emissions from buildings and industry means taking the carbon out of heat in the longer term, managing demand through energy and resource efficiency, and replacing fossil fuels with low carbon alternatives.
This does not need to be a threat.We can see this as a great opportunity for the UK; an opportunity to diversify our sources of heat, make our processes more efficient and our companies more competitive, to develop our cities and towns in sustainable ways that prepare us for a low carbon future, and to bring renewable heat into the mainstream alongside gas boilers, a market which currently sees around 1.6 million new boilers put into homes every year.

From Chapter 2: Transforming Building-Level Heating
• In the majority of UK homes and businesses, heating spaces and water means burning gas in a boiler. For some, it means burning oil, or using electric heaters. Low carbon heating offers cleaner and often more efficient alternatives which will prepare our homes and businesses for the future with sustainable and secure supplies of heat.
• While gas will supply the majority of our heat for many years to come, the change to low carbon is already beginning. Many new homes is now fitted with a heat pump, able to operate three to four times more efficiently than a gas boiler, and businesses are increasingly using heat pumps as a convenient way to both heat and cool their buildings.
• We need to start building the market for low carbon and renewable heat now, both to achieve our goal of supplying 15% of UK energy from renewables by 2020 and to deliver affordable, efficient low carbon heat in the future.

Where we need to be
2.1 By 2050, we need to remove all direct greenhouse gas emissions from heating our buildings.This is exceedingly challenging, and means that any heat generated at building level must be set on a low carbon footing by replacing fossil fuel-based heating technologies within individual buildings, such as natural gas or oil fired boilers, with low carbon alternatives.

2.2 Before we do this, maximising the efficiency of our gas boilers will help realise cost and carbon savings in the short and medium term.
Carbon Plan Trajectory

2.3 By 2020, condensing boilers are expected to have reached around 75% market penetration. Condensing boilers already save consumers over ÂŁ1 billion a year; further deployment by 2020 could save an additional ÂŁ1.3 billion.

Hydrogen Storage
2.45 As hydrogen can be generated at the point of use via the electrolysis of water, hydrogen could be produced at building level, and stored until needed during peaks in demand. Stored hydrogen could then be combusted in a modified gas boiler, or converted back into electricity using a fuel cell to run electric heating systems and electrical appliances.

A Hydrogen Grid?
2.47 It may also be possible to repurpose the existing low-pressure gas distribution grid to transport hydrogen at low pressures, which could be used in modified gas boilers and hobs, and in building-level fuel cells.

5.6 Also this decade, the replacement of most of the remaining 13 million non-condensing gas boilers with high-efficiency condensing boilers will improve energy efficiency and reduce emissions.

Looks like the condensing gas boilers are not going anywhere yet!

Thanks Alex, but my eyes started to glaze over after a while.
Anyway, it looks like they're going to try to address the problems of carbon omissions via New Build SAP ratings, rather than discount a gas installation completely.

What a waste of money again! Sbem, air tests bream ............ Load of poop! Hardly any account for how much energy / pollution takes to make the stuff nor a huge weight given to fact that a 25kg bag of cement has a carbon footprint of 24kg factor in footprint for sand, transport and water and its horrific. Fossil files always getting bumped as easy target. Did u know that methane is 25 times worse for the environment than carbon dioxide or monoxide as a greenhouse gas.

What a waste of money again! Sbem, air tests bream ............ Load of poop! Hardly any account for how much energy / pollution takes to make the stuff nor a huge weight given to fact that a 25kg bag of cement has a carbon footprint of 24kg factor in footprint for sand, transport and water and its horrific. Fossil files always getting bumped as easy target. Did u know that methane is 25 times worse for the environment than carbon dioxide or monoxide as a greenhouse gas.

....and one of the biggest methane polluters Ermintrude, cows. :) :)

Ha ha ! Municipal waste is worst. Anerobic digestion is the answer to the worlds problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Geared up for 2016 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Informative
Why am I not surprised? Britain’s gas network still using engines from 1960s RAF fighter jets Ageing aircraft turbines will cost millions to replace, says National Gas chief Jonathan Leake14 January 2024 • 5:49pm Mr Butterworth, chief executive of National Gas, says the network is powered by...
Replies
Views
Morning all, as always can never find an exact existing thread / discussion where I don't feel like I'm making one too many assumptions. Can I get a quick sense check on the below, always wanting to work 1 step ahead, eventually planning to add an en-suite to my existing loft conversion. Got...
Replies
Views
Hello All and thanks Lou i did write a reply but it would not let me send it? i am not sure what I am meant to write and I do not want to come over the wrong way so please keep in mind I am 57 and at school in the 70s back then was kicked out the lessons and put in remedial classes (before...
Replies
Views
I don't work now due to being ancient. I looked at a 'Range cooker' fired on kero. It had a slow leak that turned into a bad leak in a month! It had a welded fabricated boiler. I've seen such heat exchangers leak within 7 years from new. No wonder the Potterton heating production manager said...
Replies
Views
I have a high level cistern and was replacing the toilet pan (waste ceramic completely cracked through) and was hoovering around before connecting the waste and the lead inlet pipe and was just absent-mindely gently sucking lead filings out of the inlet pipe - and whoops, the downpipe grabbed...
Replies
Views
Cast_Iron_Cisterns 486
C
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock