Discuss Gash in hep heating pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaydebruyne

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
custard called just now, a decorator has nicked the hep heating pipe (see pic). Looks quite deep to me, and as the pipe will soften when heating is on, I’m skepticle about re-burying it behind the wall. Can this be repaired with a tape/compound or you reckon it’ll be ok as is? Or best to replace section of pipe?

346210AD-2A7E-4462-A3AA-AC9DC09AE4A4.jpeg

Replace

It's barely covered by the plaster. Any fitting will poke out

I’d replace the the whole lot too. It’s more work but the end of the day you are the last one wh works there’s. If you are too expensive walk away

If it hasn't gone through the barrier, it'll probably survive some time, probably a very long time if it's an open-vented system. But if you're giving the advice, then I suspect you know it's a replace it job.

UNLESS, I suppose, you can find some kind of high temperature adhesive suitable for polybutylene that you could use to reinforce the pipe wall, but even then you're in uncharted territory, and even so, you don't have the space to do this so it's a double non-starter!

You could use cyanoacrylate with an accelerant/primer (like Mitrebond) which is fine up to 100C to glue a patch (made out of another piece of pipe). That should be fine but if you want to go belt n braces and there's room use a jubilee clip on top of that.

Pressurise the system to 3 bar and leave for 24hrs. If it held I'd be happy with that in my own place tbh but of course its best to replace.

What was he doing to nick the pipe?
What has he nicked it with?
Stupid plastic...you would have to rip the whole length out of the wall to rest easy.

Looking again I see he's been asked to remove dado rail...mmm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gash in hep heating pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back