Search the forum,

Discuss Gas work for family in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sparky

Hi all, being gas registered through a company, can we do gas work ie: a boiler change for family?

no you can only legally carry out gas work when employed by the company

yes you can carry out the work. you do not have to be gas safe registered to carry out gas work for no fininacial gain, you have to be competant. if you are registered gas safe then you must have your acs and thetrefore be cometant. check the gas regs

yes you can carry out the work. you do not have to be gas safe registered to carry out gas work for no fininacial gain, you have to be competant. if you are registered gas safe then you must have your acs and thetrefore be cometant. check the gas regs
your wrong read the regs carefully

No fuzzy is right. Gas Safe themselves have told me i can do gas work for family and friends for no financial gain. The problem is you wont be able to register the boiler for part L as you wont have a GS number.

think your mistaken ,in any case the boiler manufactuer would,nt honour the garrentee,as not registered to building control

No fuzzy is right. Gas Safe themselves have told me i can do gas work for family and friends for no financial gain. The problem is you wont be able to register the boiler for part L as you wont have a GS number.

do me a favour and forward the email they sent you confirming this, (oh you havent got one!!, and this was a telephone confirmation,) if you have the email, my sincerest apologies, if you dont please get one to confirm what you THINK you heard on the phone, cause it aint gonna get sent to you, GSR will never condone a a registered engineer working for free for friends and family, as it goes against what they are trying to push through, ie more engineers registering with them = more money for them, it isnt about safety. also an organisation like GSR would not condone illegal work, i work in a training centre, and am registered with them, i cannot do any gas work out with the centre, it doesnt matter whether i get paid or not, and how can it be policed who is calssed as a friend? it just doesnt stack up.it goes back to the old chestnut of "DIY gas work" you can do what you want in your own house until something happens then the brown stuff will hit the fan any way

do me a favour and forward the email they sent you confirming this, (oh you havent got one!!, and this was a telephone confirmation,) if you have the email, my sincerest apologies, if you dont please get one to confirm what you THINK you heard on the phone, cause it aint gonna get sent to you, GSR will never condone a a registered engineer working for free for friends and family, as it goes against what they are trying to push through, ie more engineers registering with them = more money for them, it isnt about safety. also an organisation like GSR would not condone illegal work, i work in a training centre, and am registered with them, i cannot do any gas work out with the centre, it doesnt matter whether i get paid or not, and how can it be policed who is calssed as a friend? it just doesnt stack up.it goes back to the old chestnut of "DIY gas work" you can do what you want in your own house until something happens then the brown stuff will hit the fan any way

sorry, nothing to do with gas safe, its the regs you would be taken to court for breaking, they cannot , i repeat cannot take you tocourt for carrying out gas work for no financial gain, read the regs, you only have to be competant. if you do something wrong, youll have to prove you are competant in a court,, how do you do that? the acs is a good start

however you wont be insured to cover the work you have done as your employer wont cover freebies, and if you do happen to make a mistake and bump off your uncle then youll be in the smelly stuff, so ultimately whether you belive that your competent or not you shouldnt be carrying out freebies as one day you will come unstuck and you wont have any back up to help you.

so if you have your ACS and are gas safe for your employer, you want to do some gas work on your own home your carnt?? of course you can

regulation 3 (1)

I see this is all clear as mud - just like all the other regulations. Does anyone know when the bonfire is going to be lit?

clear to me, employed whether self or for someone must be gas safe, otherwise only competent

Kirkgas, Ive sent you a personal message. Cheers.

give me a spoon so that i can munch into a big slice of humble pie, one of the benefits being on sites like this is to keep learning

I cannt see any reference to financial reward in the regs however part 2 defines work and unless you are competant then you cant work on gas for reward or not. To be allowed to work on gas items etc you must be competant and this is defined as having the correct qualifications to allow you to register with gas safe and this then allows you to be insured to work on the gas side in any property. So if your covered by your employer to work but not self emplloyed, you cant work in accordance with e regs on your own or other friends kit.. Simply put this is to ensure you are covered by insurance etc and if you do cock up somehow and kill your granny, any court is going to deal with you in a severe manner as you carried out work in contravention of the gas regs. Its really simple and despite what the bloke on the end of a phone says its the basrristers in this world who apply the regsin the long term and having chatted to one recently and shown him the regs, my advice is to leave well alone unless you are self employed or have a gas safe number in your own name if your an employee, as you wont win the arguement of relying on regs 3,1 as you need to take into account section 2s definitions, you need to read a bit deeper to understand the regs , so kirkgas is probably right in what he said.

work” in relation to a gas fitting includes any of the following activities carried out by any person, whether an employee or not, that is to say—
(a)
installing or re-connecting the fitting;

(b)
maintaining, servicing, permanently adjusting, disconnecting, repairing, altering or renewing the fitting or purging it of air or gas;

(c)
where the fitting is not readily movable, changing its position; and

(d)
removing the fitting;

I cannt see any reference to financial reward in the regs however part 2 defines work and unless you are competant then you cant work on gas for reward or not. To be allowed to work on gas items etc you must be competant and this is defined as having the correct qualifications to allow you to register with gas safe and this then allows you to be insured to work on the gas side in any property. So if your covered by your employer to work but not self emplloyed, you cant work in accordance with e regs on your own or other friends kit.. Simply put this is to ensure you are covered by insurance etc and if you do cock up somehow and kill your granny, any court is going to deal with you in a severe manner as you carried out work in contravention of the gas regs. Its really simple and despite what the bloke on the end of a phone says its the basrristers in this world who apply the regsin the long term and having chatted to one recently and shown him the regs, my advice is to leave well alone unless you are self employed or have a gas safe number in your own name if your an employee, as you wont win the arguement of relying on regs 3,1 as you need to take into account section 2s definitions, you need to read a bit deeper to understand the regs , so kirkgas is probably right in what he said.

work” in relation to a gas fitting includes any of the following activities carried out by any person, whether an employee or not, that is to say—
(a)
installing or re-connecting the fitting;

(b)
maintaining, servicing, permanently adjusting, disconnecting, repairing, altering or renewing the fitting or purging it of air or gas;

(c)
where the fitting is not readily movable, changing its position; and

(d)
removing the fitting;

sorry but thats a lot of waffle with little substance. where does it state in the regs what competence is please? All you have done is copied the regs where it states what is defined as work, nobody is disputing these regs????

Competence is subjective, the only way to prove competence in my opinion is to have the relevant qualifications, i believe you would need your ACS for this, regardless of being gas safe or not, or as the regs put it "is a member of a class of persons approved for the time being by the Health and Safety Executive"

the only thing you need to work on gas is to be competent, 100% right, you only need to be registered if you are employed or self employed or as i put it for financial gain.

TBH you don't even need to have a current ACS to be deemed competent, its just the easiest way of proving it, for example, a friend of mine is a retired British gas trainer, he help set up the NACS and ACOPS s the ACS used to be known, he had his own ACS up until 3 months ago, would you deem him competent to change a thermocouple, I would and sure as hell a judge would also.

I can only point out regulation 3 (1) yet again, if this dont convince you then theres not much more i can say

Last edited by a moderator:
i stick by my statement you are wrong and if what you are saying was brought up in a in a court case the individual would have his nads cut off simple you must be competent and registered to do anything involving gas work employed,self employed, foc, or fidderling you may in fairness fuzzy be reading the reg and fully understanding its meaning but reality comes back and bites you on the arse and it has sharp teeth so i stick by my original reply to the op ....NO

i stick by my statement you are wrong and if what you are saying was brought up in a in a court case the individual would have his nads cut off simple you must be competent and registered to do anything involving gas work employed,self employed, foc, or fidderling you may in fairness fuzzy be reading the reg and fully understanding its meaning but reality comes back and bites you on the arse and it has sharp teeth so i stick by my original reply to the op ....NO

you dont have to be competent and regsitered, just competent. if you are employed or self employed you must be both, very simple, dont see why people cannot understand that. how can a registration body, which is all what gas safe is tell you what you can or cannot do when not empoyed or self employed??? its like working in a factory, no acs needed or anything to work on gas there

So now all you young guys have a get out when your mothers boiler breaks down.
Just tell her sorry it is not allowed you will have to get someone in.
"Btw where is my dinner..........":confused::D

Ok, its time to understand this word 'Competent' as defined by the courts.
My 'ISOH Managing Safely' trainer told us that competent has been defined by the courts to mean 'SKATE' Skills, Knowledge, Attitude, Training, Experience.
If you've got all that you should be OK.

Last edited by a moderator:
oh the managing safely course, i did the NEBOSH and they defined it as KUTE (cute) Knowledge, understanding, training and experience. The easiest way to prove this in terms of gas is to have the ACS, but it doesnt have to be

so why do the hse keep taking people to court who have previously passed their acs and been corgi/gas safe registered and prosecuted them for illegal works, it must be because they arent competant in the eyes of the law, simple really and therefore fuzz your understanding of the regs cannt be quite right can it!!

so why do the hse keep taking people to court who have previously passed their acs and been corgi/gas safe registered and prosecuted them for illegal works, it must be because they arent competant in the eyes of the law, simple really and therefore fuzz your understanding of the regs cannt be quite right can it!!

They take them to court because they are not gas safe registered and they are contrevning regulation 3 (3)
no employer shall allow any of his employees to carry out any work in relation to a gas fitting or service pipework and no self-employed person shall carry out any such work, unless the employer or self-employed person, as the case may be, is a member of a class of persons approved for the time being by the Health and Safety Executive for the purposes of this paragraph.

If you are doing gas work for family you are not employed, therefore it dont count. Not being gas safe registered does not mean you are not competant does it?

So sorry to put you right, no hard feelings, may i point out once again i am 100% right

think you have it wrong fuzzy ,what if your family owned 300 flats,and you were asked to fit boilers in each one,i,m sure
you could,nt get away with it.the manufacturers state in the mi it must be installed by a gassafe reg installer,and commissioned by one.

They take them to court because they are not gas safe registered and they are contrevning regulation 3 (3)
no employer shall allow any of his employees to carry out any work in relation to a gas fitting or service pipework and no self-employed person shall carry out any such work, unless the employer or self-employed person, as the case may be, is a member of a class of persons approved for the time being by the Health and Safety Executive for the purposes of this paragraph.

If you are doing gas work for family you are not employed, therefore it dont count. Not being gas safe registered does not mean you are not competant does it?

So sorry to put you right, no hard feelings, may i point out once again i am 100% right

Like I said before look at definitions in section 2.1 where work is defined and there is no mention of financial reward just what work is and that is touching.working on gas appliances etc and you are not allowed to do so unless deemed competant and you arent competant in the eyes of the law unless you are registered as gas safe yourself or working for an employer at the time who is. So as you so ,no hard feelings but your a 100% wrong and it will catch up with you one day

A couple of facts (well i think they are facts):-
1. If you do gas work without being GS Registered and it is an unsafe installation you will be taken to court.
2. If you do gas work that is the perfect installation and not one fault can be found but you are not GS Registered and you do it for your mum for no charge, you will not be taken to court.

think you have it wrong fuzzy ,what if your family owned 300 flats,and you were asked to fit boilers in each one,i,m sure
you could,nt get away with it.the manufacturers state in the mi it must be installed by a gassafe reg installer,and commissioned by one.
I think this is a very good question. I think it comes down to the fact that you wouldnt get somebody to do 300 boilers for free without being employed. secondly, the installation of boilers requires benchmarks and registration which would need gas safe registration. This does not however change the fact that gas work can be done for no charge (ie not employed in the regs) and it does not break the regs. We are talking more of one off jobs or moving pipes around or similar. I am gas safe registered through my company but would have no hesitation at all in moving a gas pipe for my Mother since i am allowed to

Like I said before look at definitions in section 2.1 where work is defined and there is no mention of financial reward just what work is and that is touching.working on gas appliances etc and you are not allowed to do so unless deemed competant and you arent competant in the eyes of the law unless you are registered as gas safe yourself or working for an employer at the time who is. So as you so ,no hard feelings but your a 100% wrong and it will catch up with you one day

we all know the definition of work, dont know what your trying to procve by telling us all again. Like ive said before on more than one occasion, section 3 (1) askes that you are competent section 3 (2) (3) talks about employed or self employed having to be gas safe registered (as approved by the HSE etc). Therefore if you are not employed or self employed (ie not for financial gain ) you can do the work.
I think you are just disputing this for the sake of it, try understanding the regs instead of trying to prove something that is incorrect

if you did gas work for a charity for no charge ,then according to your thinking fuzzy you dont need to be gsr,
i cant see it

another gas reg thats not so clear why dont they make the regs in plain eassy to understand english . I would agree in the fact if you are not gas safe registered how can your work be checked and registered the idea of being gas safe registered is to proove your compitent in the work place as they can check up any of your work at anytime .if its not registered it can be checked.just my view.come on gas safe make the regs easier to read.

ant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas work for family in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock