Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Gas strainers, compulsory? in the Gas Safe Register Forum - Public Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

Tags:
  1. PAUL WARD

PAUL WARD New Member

Hi all, recently qualified and gas safe registered but can't find in gas safe regs anywhere that states that a gas strainer is a must? Is it? On a recent install I also read and reread MI's for an Ideal boiler and couldn't find anywhere they mention it as a requirement either. I did install it anyway but would like some clarity.
    Cheers in advance.

2. king of pipes

king of pipes Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Not on a domestic supply , usually fitted on commercial . Kop

3. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

There not normally fitted when there's a problem or before a regulator on commercial

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Last Plumber

Last Plumber Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

What was the reason you wanted to install one?
    Was it just because you thought you should?

5. PAUL WARD

PAUL WARD New Member

No, it was just for clarity. I had an issue with combustion on a new install and wanted to make sure the manufacturer didn't throw it back to me because one wasn't fitted. I've since spoken to manufacturer and they've reassured me they don't require them as they have sufficient filters within their Boilers. Thanks all for your responses though

• Like Like x 1
  6. Last Plumber

Last Plumber Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

No worries.
    There is a mesh filter on the inlet to the Gas Valve on all boilers but it is best to additionally protect that if the need arises.
    The only time I come across filters or install filters in Domestic premises is when there is an issue with Copper Sulphide.
    If you're interested in that then read this link. If you're new to the job it will help you to recognise it too when you come across it.

• Like Like x 1