Search the forum,

Discuss Gas Safety Checks Advise. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Afzal Abrar

Gas Engineer
Hi To All Seniors..
I'm Posting This Thread .. as I was Reading This on Gas Safe Website and it really confused me. I Usually while doing LandLords checks Take Gas Fire Out and Check the Smoke Test and Spillage test even though its Proper Blue Crispy flame..
Am I doing Over work or Doing Right ? as its gas checks not servicing.The Following Copy and Paste May help more to understand my question.I hope to get an Advise ..A Big Thank in Advance..
Regards
Ibby[h=2]Gas appliances that are left unchecked could be dangerous and leaking carbon monoxide[/h]All of your gas appliances, including your gas boiler, gas cooker and gas fire should be safety checked once a year and serviced regularly according to manufacturer’s instructions. If you do not have your gas appliances regularly serviced and safety checked by a Gas Safe registered engineer you could be putting you and your family at risk and in possible danger of carbon monoxide poisoning.
[h=3]What is a gas safety check?[/h]A gas safety check involves a Gas Safe registered engineer inspecting your gas appliances. They will check the appliance is working correctly and will check the following four areas:

• Gas appliances are on the right setting and burning correctly with the correct operating pressure
  • Harmful gases are being removed from the appliance safely to the air outside
  • That any ventilation routes are clear and working properly
  • All the safety devices are working
The check will identify any defects which require remedial work. You should have a gas safety check every year. If you are a landlord this is the law.
[h=3]Are you entitled to a free gas safety check?[/h]Your gas supplier may be able to provide you with a free of charge gas safety check upon request. A free gas safety check may apply to home owners on means tested benefits who:

• Are of pensionable age, disabled or chronically sick and either live alone or with others who are all of pensionable age, disabled, chronically sick or under 18
  • Are living with others where at least one is under 5 years old
  • Have not had a gas safety check carried out at the premises in the last 12 months
  • Do not occupy premises where a landlord is responsible for arranging a check under regulations made under the Health and Safety at Work Act
Please note that decisions around eligibility for free gas safety checks sit outside the remit of the Gas Safe Register and this advice is for general guidance only. Please contact your energy supplier for more information.
[h=3]What is a service?[/h]Whilst a gas safety check assesses the basic safety of a gas appliance a service will consist of a full check of a gas appliance and the engineer is likely to take the appliance apart to inspect it. The engineer will assess the physical condition of the appliance, installation pipework, air vents and any flues for deterioration. They will carry out performance tests and take any necessary remedial action.
Appliances should be serviced regularly in accordance with manufacturer’s instructions. Servicing your gas appliances regularly will make sure they are safe to use. It will also maintain your appliances efficiency and performance.
[h=3]Signs that your appliances need servicing?[/h]Gas appliances should be serviced regularly but if you notice any of the warning signs below you should arrange for a Gas Safe registered engineer to service your appliance as soon as possible:

• Your gas appliance is not working properly
  • Your appliance is burning with a lazy yellow flame instead of a crisp blue flame
  • You can see black marks or stains on or around your gas appliances
  • The pilot light keeps going out
  • There is increased condensation in the room

As long as there are no technicalities discussed this could be an interesting discussion and informative to house holders, tenants and landlords.

We'll let it run for now but no technicalities please, this is open forum.

We'll be watching.

seemed to me that he is a landlord doing his own tests or that may just be due to his use of the written word.

a gas safety check is different than a service

Cheers mate ..
I know it's different ..
And it says in the gas safe website too .
But I've seen my mentor doing that with
Gas fires and I just followed it .

Lolxx
I wish I was ..
No mate it's a question for an advice ..
Thing is so many technical bulletin been updated

Regards

Cheers mate ..
I know it's different ..
And it says in the gas safe website too .

depends on situation and appliance tbh, but its better to go above what is required

Hi,
I'm new Sir
Need some time to get used to ..
Had a question / confusion .
Thought I'd post it .
May I get an advice ..
Regards

Hi,
Cheers
I get advices in phrases lolxx
Am I ok to assume if
Gas rate / burner pressure OK
Flame Picture OK not yellowish
What if I used only spillage and
CO room test ..?
Cheers

Was your mentor being paid to do a full service, or a safety check? Or even just doing a visual check after working on a different appliance?

What I'd do on a CO12 is different to what I'd do on a service, although the basic safety checks - flue flow, spillage, ventilation, should never be ignored, even on the "visual".

Thanks for the TB refreshments. Was brilliantly adherent..
And have a merry Christmas and Happy new year from all @UKPF

i wouldnt be testing a flue on a fire if i had serviced the boiler just a visual and on a landlords i would even if the fire belonged to the tenant

Hi,
Cheers
I get advices in phrases lolxx
Am I ok to assume if
Gas rate / burner pressure OK
Flame Picture OK not yellowish
What if I used only spillage and
CO room test ..?
Cheers

What if there are too many dead pigeons inside the chimney!?

Admins are in Lane one.
I'm going before you lot get Chinese burn.
And once again.. merry Christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas Safety Checks Advise. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock