Search the forum,

Discuss gas safe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevetheplumber

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
i wouldnt dash out and change your staitionary and signwriting just yet in this weeks trade press its been revealed that corgi have registerd the trade name gas safe and capita may not be able to use it for there scheme

thanks for the info, I sniff a legal battle brewing between them two

Reading the latest Gas Installer magazine they are already bitching with each other. The only good thing about the magazine was the gallery of scary installation photos

As the new name will be owned by the HSE and licensed to capita for the duration of the contract it will probably be the hse picking up the tab for any legal expenses.

Mike

Might be silly question, but has CORGI not realized they have upset us yet??
if theyd been a bit more reasonable from the beginning maybe id shed a tear for them
now, personally i hope the business and there pensions disapear in a gas explosion
nothing personal... ( well maybe as personal as the way they treated me and my wallet, monopolistic
shaun

Shaun, of course CORGI won't have realised they have upset us. That's the whole problem. THEY HAVE NEVER LISTENED!

Might be silly question, but has CORGI not realized they have upset us yet??
if theyd been a bit more reasonable from the beginning maybe id shed a tear for them
now, personally i hope the business and there pensions disapear in a gas explosion
nothing personal... ( well maybe as personal as the way they treated me and my wallet, monopolistic
shaun
i couldnt have put it better

Any when is anybody/somebody going to inform joe public of the big change over. ive just replied to a post and said the same there. the public still have no idea of the "the gas safe register"
its all being left to the last moment and its gonna be to late.
on a more pleasant note will someone tell me where they are planning to bury CORGI so maybe i can go visit put some flowers on by the tombstone........ or not.
shaun

my boss told me today that the gas safety register will be on trial period for 6 months then if all goes well will get the longer contract, any1 know if thats true
if it is it explains, why there has been no media coverage, the hse can hardly say that corgi is no longer what you need then 6 months down the line say "just kidding"

well they could politicians and the like!?

shaun

Your boss has been given duff information. Capita have been awarded the contact to run the gas safe register for a period of 5 years, if all goes well they will automatically get another 5. After that it will go out to tender again but it will still be gas safe register as the HSE own the title.

Supposedly the lack of publicity has been to minimise confusion in the run up to the changeover. Capita will be given financial penalties if they don't meet targets for public awareness.

Mike

thanks mike. i didnt think it could be true, but he was really convinced. yesterday read thru the gas safety register web page and that cleared up a bit to.
thanks again.
shaun

When on earth are they going to start advertising that CORGI is not the name to look out for now, or at least by the 1st April 09
I would expect that the public need to know what they are in store for for the next few years!

Err! I worked for years on gas and although I was registered through my companies CORGI registration and had a gas card. Only on about two or three occasions out of many hundreds was I ever asked by a customer for it.

The thing is of course, its not when things go right do you need proof your competent its when things go pear shaped and you are asked to prove your competence.

The gas safe scheme to me, sounds a bit like the very old CORGI way of doing things i.e. They inspected your work on a few jobs before they would accept you.
Then it was your own problem if you contravened the gas regs, as it is now. So the onus is on you to ensure you can prove you fall into the category of competent.

So far I have not seen much of the Gassafe stuff that would tell you how you could prove competence. I know CORGI asked for ACS or further back ACOPS certification, but I get the impression that Gassafe just inspect your work when you join and again if a complaint is made about you.

That leaves it open as to where you can gain your competence from i.e.Proven track record of gas work experience and system of updating your information about technological advances in gas fitting. May be enough. But what will the training agents do with all those expensive courses?
If your sensible you'll go on them. But if they cost a packet and you no longer need them, will you go on them?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the biggest can of worms you have ever seen is about to roll into town.CORGI has had its problems, but was really behind a massive increase in the quality and awareness of gas proceedures by installers and the general public

yes leaky they were behind an increase in gas awareness, i refuse to believe they improved quality of gas installers work.
corgi is over for the while, only because the installers who paid their wages became extremly upset with them, they ran a business, nothing more, inventing ways to obtain more money with their registration schemes and numptified charges. all whilst claiming to be a charity. just like oxfam charity or not, the big bosses are driving around in the nice cars and have posh houses on expenses. seriously i wish them good luck. however if they had been slightly fairer to us maybe we wouldnt of rebelled!!
hope gas safe will learn by the lesson and if they havnt, good luck to the next guys.

shaun

As to CORGI improving the quality of work. Well all I can say, is no I don't think they did. They never inspected much and when they did it was all pre-arranged. Inspectors I knew told me they where worked off their feet. I must admit I have seen work done by a very respected CORGI company that was terrible.

Its true enough having a sack full of qualifications doesn't prove you can do the job all it says is that you should have some of the knowledge to do a good job. And lets be honest examination doesn't cover half of what you need to know.

That's why if Gassafe makes random calls and regular short notice inspections it may work perhaps.

I rather fancy though its a government thing. They did not like the idea of CORGI being paid by the installers. The balance was not right as the interests of the installer may come before the customers. And training costs where passed on, making the price of gas installation work very high.

So if it ever becomes compulsory for every household to have a regular gas check, the cost would cause a political outcry.

So if they make installers responsible for safety under law which are already, they can reduce the training requirements and so the price.

Gas safe register are still looking for ACS qualifications but new entrants will have to notify all of their work so that they can be randomly inspected. The idea is that existing registrants will have the inspection burden eased while new entrants will be strictly policed to ensure their work is of a sufficient standard.

Mike

Since the 1st of April this year I have taken it upon myself to ask each and every customer if they know who is responsible for gas safety. You can guess what the reply EVERY time was!? CORGI! It seems the only thing Gas Safe has acheived is confusion. Even some engineers I speak to don't really know what is going on. And I just feel this is not on. The odd advert in the tabloids is just not going to cut it, because whilst the public still think CORGI is the name to look out for, the cowboys are going to cash in. So why the should decent law abiding people like us pay for this new scheme when they are not carrying out their word. However, a boycott would mean we couldn't work legally on gas and so more than likely wouldn't. What to do??? Probably nothing like we did with CORGI. These aren't interested in us only our money!

Hiya royalflush...you think they would have a massive advert campain...but nope...i haven't seen 1 advert...

p.s...no swearing thank you.....we all get mad but lets keep it clean for the viewers as well as members..

what nexts acs then gas safe then some other out fitt like a extras plumbers tax. you keep takeing it stand up and get some back bone
you need a front like a plumbing union

to here all what you say on here.

to start with set up a poll vote online
then with that send this large letter of content to hse, gas safe ,etc
and see what becomes

Anyone can buy gas boiler etc
install it
then or not get a gas safe man in for cert about 100quid....

or non reg gas plums can buy and install
when confronted by corgi with a super installation, no action is taken
and pay in euro?

if you are a plumber keep what you know it your braed and butter
some posts reply may place people in more danger there a reason for break downs etc tobe repair by plumbers and to veiw the installation in complete not to think what if maybe or look at 1 photo.

a person i know this week sent me photo of a boiler installation,look at my work.
no vent in cuboard no scale mag unit here think the fernox in the system
will look after the hot side of the combi ,not commision
again i can only see this
may be the rest of it is ok or not

try a online current job offers. post only to the union. no agent ish
there are some good plumbers out there sitting indoors because free info
plum centre only sell to gas safe reg men good for them
more shops should follow suit

more to follow next time

Mate you really need to sort your grammar out. I couldnt understand any of that!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to gas safe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
We have 2 brand new cordless, battery powered press tools in stock, and flying off the shelves. Our TekTools TZ1930 & TZ1550 are packed with advanced features - these cordless press tools are engineered for speed, precision, and ease of use across various applications. Just reply to this thread...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock