Search the forum,

Discuss Gas rate app in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Doodlebug

British Gas engineers are being advised not to use gas rate apps as tests have shown them to be inaccurate and unreliable.

When i had my gassafe inspection not long since, he asked me why when i had an i-phone i wasn't using an app. for this. I replied that i had it but thought he would want to see me work it out to which he replied , use the app !!!

This is fresh news briefed today, British Gas have instructed the whole workforce not to use any gas rate apps, we have had to sign to say we have had the brief.

I had same brief a month or so ago.
I have compared the apps, to BG's computer and also manual calcs and there is a difference between all, but nothing more than 5% or so.

but it's just a stopwatch and a calculator in one how can they possibly get it wrong, and if they did it would be wrong every time rather than here or there.

Gas rating is hardly an exact science anyway especially with these new card meters that you have to push buttons and wait etc, as long as you are in the ball park area your fine! 5% above and 10% below isn't it?

Last edited:
All I know is we have been told they are immaculate and can't be relied on.

I believe it is BG just trying to standardise the process for itself by making sure all its engineers use the laptop.
The G/R calculation process by any means is not an exact science.

hi all ,new to these forums, anyone know if theres an app for blackberry? can't seem to find it if there is, thanks

People still use those blackberrys?
I know what I would be asking santa for.:tongue3:

It's just a mathematic equation it can't be wrong. There is more chance of human error recording the figures or timing it wrong!

Well when it goes Pete Tong, you can say you heard it here first. ;-)

mine works good enough for me. Probably a BG engineer failed internal audit and blamed his iphone LOL.

Or B.G not liking the fact that something without a Britsh Gas logo and overinflated price tag is being used on one of their jobs.

when the bg app comes out it will abort the test halfway and demand the system is powerflushed and a co detector fitted before you get the answer

To be fair to them you can't blame them if they don't want their blokes to use it. The laptop has a programme to do it for you. So if they want all their blokes to use that then everyone's gas rate will be as per their own programme and everything confirms to what they want.

If their has been known discrepancies on the iPhone app then you can't blame anyone fr not wanting to use it, especially a firm the size of BG. If they made a mistake using this app then coud you imagine the uproar, so they've banned it and their till getting stick. They can't win either way really.

I personally don't this app I use a calculator. I was toying with paying for the app but this post would be enough for me not to bother.

Last edited:
The calculations will vary region to region according to the calorific value of the gas. Unless you know and use that in your calcs you are working to an approximation.

The calculations will vary region to region according to the calorific value of the gas. Unless you know and use that in your calcs you are working to an approximation.

I was thinking same, how many check bills for correct CV?

No mention of checking the cv of the gas in any text book or reg I have seen. The difference is probably that minimal it has no affect.

Sutely the badged input rating of the boiler would have to make an assumption on the CV of the fuel as well though, so in effect it doesn't matter. Only gas rating to determine the correct quantity of fuel is being used by the appliance, not to actually calculated heat production.

Well if BG say so then I'm ditching mine :willy_nilly:

Be better teaching some of the lads the back boilers need ventilation!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas rate app in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this for suitability. The thing is my son panics during tests/exams. Is there any book I can buy him to practice the multiple choice test for the exam? What...
Replies
Views
I am in process of replacing an existing sink with a new stainless steel one. The existing tap is plumbed directly to copper which means that it is earthed. The new tap will use flexible tails and so will not be earth bonded. My initial search for information suggests that there is no legal...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock