Search the forum,

Discuss Gas pressure question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mr Wormwood , you are out of order disagreeing with my thread closed statement , you are clearly "picking everybodys brains" on here , I saw this thread develop and thats why I left it alone . Leave the gas alone !!!!!!

Mr Wormwood , you are out of order disagreeing with my thread closed statement , you are clearly "picking everybodys brains" on here , I saw this thread develop and thats why I left it alone . Leave the gas alone !!!!!!

What's the point of the forum if people can't come here and ask for advice!

The reason I disagreed with your post 33 is that it agreed with Chalked, who said in post 31 that I should use a GSR. I have already stated countless times that I will not touch the gas myself and will use a GSR!!!

I am trying to establish whether there is an alternative to running 20 feet of 22mm pipe on the outside of the house, across two doors, one window and through one gate. This was the only solution offered by the installer mentioned in post 13.

He was wrong. The solution is to find the 22-15 reducer, which I now know is on the inside of the house. I also know, thanks to the helpful people here (Shaun, Snowhead, GH77 & kop, etc), that I could stick with 15mm if the pressure drop does not exceed regs, or contradict the new boiler's pipe spec.

He was wrong. The solution is to find the 22-15 reducer, which I now know is on the inside of the house. I also know, thanks to the helpful people here (Shaun, Snowhead, GH77 & kop, etc), that I could stick with 15mm if the pressure drop does not exceed regs, or contradict the new boiler's pipe spec.
really !

Question you say that you have a glow worm Balanced Flue boiler, is this a standard boiler with hot water tank ? and is it being replaced (Upgraded to a combi) ? or are you just having a boiler swap ?

Question you say that you have a glow worm Balanced Flue boiler, is this a standard boiler with hot water tank ? and is it being replaced (Upgraded to a combi) ? or are you just having a boiler swap ?

Yes, I've got a bog-standard Glow-worm Fuelsaver MkII with HW cylinder & immersion heater in airing cupboard and a small F&E tank in the loft. New boiler will be a straight swap - it won't be a combi (partly because the cylinder, pump, motorised valve & tankstat etc have already been changed for new ones).

Last edited:
What's the point of the forum if people can't come here and ask for advice!

The reason I disagreed with your post 33 is that it agreed with Chalked, who said in post 31 that I should use a GSR. I have already stated countless times that I will not touch the gas myself and will use a GSR!!!

I am trying to establish whether there is an alternative to running 20 feet of 22mm pipe on the outside of the house, across two doors, one window and through one gate. This was the only solution offered by the installer mentioned in post 13.

If you are really going to hire a fully gas qualified engineer then you could ask him directly as he will surely give you then an update on your questions.

If you are really going to hire a fully gas qualified engineer then you could ask him directly as he will surely give you then an update on your questions.

I have (Friday) and he did. He said the only way to find the existing 22mm pipe run is to lift the floorboards on the 1st floor. Chipboard t&g (nailed down of course, just to make life easy).

Last edited:
Right wormwood your fine asking advice of course , anything we can help with is no problem but when asking about gas and pressures it does ring alarm bells as so many diyers out there , I know u worked or work on rigs and say u won't touch it but that doesn't prove anything as it's only words , everything your asking about should be spoken with your engineer , if you disagree with an engineers advice about upgrading pipe sizes then I can assure you that it's really common nowadays because of the gas consumption difference between older boilers and new condensers , as for members that are posting picks of test procedures , yes this thread should be closed me thinks , I agree with chalked and John,

Right wormwood..... if you disagree with an engineers advice about upgrading pipe sizes then I can assure you that it's really common nowadays because of the gas consumption difference between older boilers and new condensers ...

Right kris. I have not disagreed with an engineer's advice about pipe sizes. I have disagreed with first engineer's advice that the only option is to run the pipe on the outside of the house (post 37).

Fact: there are two options - inside and outside.

Inside is the advice given by the engineer on Friday and this is the route he will use. End of.

Btw, If I say I won't touch something - it means I won't touch something. Full stop.

The picture I posted doesn't tell you how to carry out a procedure, it does clarify that what the gsr said about pressures is correct, was used to reassure that the gsr does know what he's talking about ... the common theme on this thread is people continuously stating " use a gsr" and wormwood saying he will ... but yes now the thread should be closed before it all gets too heated

No need to get offensive mate , I've been quite polite to yourself, but saying you will or won't touch something doesn't give the go ahead to discuss matters which the forum rules clearly state not to, like I said wormwood were happy to advise but when u start getting into gas pressure testing or similar then it conversations you have with your engineer , I wish u good luck with your project ,

The picture I posted doesn't tell you how to carry out a procedure, it does clarify that what the gsr said about pressures is correct, was used to reassure that the gsr does know what he's talking about . the common theme on this thread is people continuously stating " use a gsr" and wormwood saying he will . but yes now the thread should be closed before it all gets too heated

Right mate so post 11 doesn't explain anything, I never mentioned your name so don't presume I did thanks

Please look at the top if this page FLASHING IN RED appearing on the page now and again, we won't give advise related to gas , now we will try give advice even when bridging onto the gas topic but when it starts to get past threshold barrier then we all play by the rules,

It states the pressures, doesn't state how to carry out the test ... that document is readily available to anyone with access to Google ... i'm now done with this thread ... i'm not getting anti or anything i like your input on other threads and respect you as an industry professional

Right mate so post 11 doesn't explain anything, I never mentioned your name so don't presume I did thanks

Didn't you see the new rules kris we help these days instead of just having mods close threads

I would say if he was going to try and do something himself which I'm not condoning or suggesting and it's breaking the law and throws your home insurance out the window that no one could stop him and fyi all my info is in the manufacturers instructions so not hard to find

Education and understanding over just having a go I think is the way to go and it's been made clear all the way down the line your require a gas safe engy to do anything related to gas

Also a little question for you

Your working in someone's house and they ask you what your doing and a few questions would you answer them or say no only for a gas safe engy to know

Shaun out

Wow I'm banging my head , deaf ears ,,,
I know we help Shaun but your twisting the hole thing , if I'm working in someone's house then they HAVE A GSR THERE, THEY ARENT GOING TO TRY THEMSELVES IF IM DOING IT, , Also
Shaun I know we don't close as many as croppie used to and it's more laxed but why o why does it flash across the top of the forum in RED , we don't give advice on Gas , if the rules changed that wouldn't flash , please scroll up to the top and wait till it appears,
Like I said I'll easy help even with gas until it passes the threshold , I'm out

Reactions: rpm
Wow I'm banging my head , deaf ears ,,,
I know we help Shaun but your twisting the hole thing , if I'm working in someone's house then they HAVE A GSR THERE, THEY ARENT GOING TO TRY THEMSELVES IF IM DOING IT, , Also
Shaun I know we don't close as many as croppie used to and it's more laxed but why o why does it flash across the top of the forum in RED , we don't give advice on Gas , if the rules changed that wouldn't flash , please scroll up to the top and wait till it appears,
Like I said I'll easy help even with gas until it passes the threshold , I'm out

I get where your coming from but your still giving info out and these days with everything on line it's not hard to find info, if anyone's going to mess with gas don't think a thread closure or banning will stop them

Gas safe won't do anything hs won't either non of the regulating bodies do, until you stop the sale of gas products to the public you won't do any dent

Last post on the matter don't see anything unsafe in my posts op was just asking

Guess we will just have to either disagree and move on

@Lou if you would like to clean any of my posts / delete them all together if they breach any of the forum rules go ahead

Right kris. I have not disagreed with an engineer's advice about pipe sizes. I have disagreed with first engineer's advice that the only option is to run the pipe on the outside of the house (post 37).

Fact: there are two options - inside and outside.

Inside is the advice given by the engineer on Friday and this is the route he will use. End of.

Btw, If I say I won't touch something - it means I won't touch something. Full stop.
You again have disagreed and it will happen more often because it seems a little bit odd that you want to know things in detail. It's fine with us but it has to be asked outside of this forum when your gas safe installer comes. He will surely explain you all you need to know. It is a public forum and people on he will give you as much as advise which is needed anything regarding gas will be not answered as matter of safety. Do not take things wrong it's just a safety reason that's all it is.

We hope we still could help you.

Kind beards,

Ron

Same as Shaun, if i've broken any forum rules then I would like clarification from the administration ... unlike Shaun i'm new to the site, so I would like official clarification if i'm in the wrong .... if i am then i will hold my hands up and take it on the chin like a big boy ... i only want to help out

Well said ron

Ok what about you get the new boiler fitted to the excising gas supply and if its within guide lines all well and good, but with the understanding that if not ! then there will be an extra charge to upgrade the supply pipe,

Same as Shaun, if i've broken any forum rules then I would like clarification from the administration . unlike Shaun i'm new to the site, so I would like official clarification if i'm in the wrong .. if i am then i will hold my hands up and take it on the chin like a big boy . i only want to help out

Firstly let me start by stating I wasnt a fan of how too many threads used to get closed too easy , the simple mention of gas was mental , I believe it's the same as an engineers call , you know how far to advise in relation to gas, in the past there have been so many folks wanting to know things about gas piping , boiler fixing and fitting and obviously any of that is a no no , but as far as explaining gas pressures etc I feel that's a conversation an op should have with his/ her gsr engineer, They could go online and look up anything to do with gas yes , even boiler breakdown instructions, so we should tell them because they can find it online anyway , no I disagree, , sometimes folks want an answer so they can do the work themselves , now I'm not meaning wormwood I'm being hypothetical, I dare say that's why we need to judge ourselves how far we go with info on open forums,

Nothing wrong with healthy debate, nothing wrong with disagreeing with one another so long as there is respect and I said that I respect you Kris ...

You've asked if the top of the forum flashing red means rules are being broken? ... and as i'm new to the forum then i'd like to know too .... surely the only place to get a definitive answer is admin?

The thing is gh77 there isn't a definitive answer , it's like an engineers call, we need to determine how far in depth you help visitors out, my belief is we help as much as we can until they want to know how to do gas work that they are having done in there home , sometimes that means folks want an answer to break the law and find out how to do it themselves ,

Okay, that's fair enough ... I feel that the information I gave was a confirmation that his gsr was competent and why ... I don't feel that it informed him how to carry out a working Gas pressure test at the meter and/or boiler as that would be too much information in my opinion...

I most certainly agree that this forum should be fun though :)

There was nothing wrong with your post , never said there was mate
When a visitor comes on here and starts asking gas related queries especially when they say they are getting the work done in his or her home, and we say ask your gas safe registered engineer and they say things like Ive one coming tomorrow or next week then you can usually tell if they just want a wee bit further knowledge so that they understand more about the setup so they can have a proper understanding conversation when the engineer arrives , these are the ones that aren't too in depth on gas then there are ones who ask because they intend to do work themselves and want to find out by us how to do it, I've ALWAYS tried to help as much as possible

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas pressure question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock