Search the forum,

Discuss Gas pressure problems, use of MDPE pipe outside? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
So basically you are saying that you are not going to abide to Gas Reg's??
Well you go ahead.
P.S Looks like your horse needs some water...................

lol , 20 odd years in the game mate, this thread is the first time i v been called a cowboy.
rollin , rollin , rollin

i don t set out to break regs and always try to follow them , but sometimes a bit simple common sense, experience and engineers discretion are also required.
so do you calculate IV for purging on every install ? if not then you must be a cowboy , no?
i know you would ve been delighted to find a gas leak on an inspection and riddor the installer, who would ve probably lost his job. if i knew him i d have gave a phone, but i aint going to grass him up. it may actually have held a TT when the job was completed, who knows. it was a very small leak, couldn t find it with LDF, traced it with the sniffer, the tenant must have a great sense of smell. 8mb permissable on an exsiting with E6 and appliances connected (its 6 month old, i did not install it so its existing), and no i wouldn t leave a new install of mine with any drop. we re gas engineers , not the polis, shouldn t fall on us to grass up other engineers.

If its an outdated regulation I am sure it would have been amended or removed. As all us fitters know the reg's can change from day to day.
But again i will say it, if you want to carry on breaking reg's then do so.

It is an outdated regulation and will be changed. The British Standards don't change from day to day, they take a long time and a lot of consultation before they do.
The current 6891 was published in 2005. Band A's were not the norm then.
ZPG's have changed a lot of things and ways of thinking.

Changing the regs to suit one type of appliance would need very careful considerations as it could lead to many poor installations. Many engineers dont need any more excuses to avoid altering gas pipework and i would expect to find more installations with appliances competing against one another which could have major problems when appliances without fsd's are starved. I guess we will see what happens.

If that's the case we should all be rushed off our feet 'cos there's plenty of it around...prepare for a payday guys n gals :rolleyes4:

yes there are many, im waiting for op to clarify his statements, he has agreed to do so without fear of prosecution

as they must be bonded anyway can anyone tell me what difference it makes to have the copper pipe run outside?

Sorry, I’ve been working away last week and see there’s been a lot of discussion in response to my question. Thanks for all the positive points of view and healthy debate.

I feel I should reply to the discussion points about my statement of risk with exposed metal work outside a building. As I’ve said this is only one of the reasons why I’d prefer to have an outside mdpe gas pipe from the meter to the boiler.

The electrical dangers here shouldn’t be confused with the bonding requirements for services within a dwelling as these are very specific and are needed to reduce danger within the home as discussed below.

The wiring regulations use terms like “Persons shall be protected against dangers that may arise from contact with exposed conductive parts during a fault” they also have requirements to limit fault current magnitude and duration to such a level as will not to cause danger. With this in mind, consider the following: -

Danger can arise when any metal work, be it a copper water pipe (with tap), copper gas pipe or even an outside metallic security light is fitted to a building where the electrical service to a home uses the combined neutral/earth arrangement offered by the electricity supply company. Why? If a neutral fault occurs the earth conductors of the whole installation can become live at a voltage above true earth. As most users of this forum know, the wiring regulations call for equipotential bonding within a building (gas services included) to reduce the risk of injury in these circumstances, but this measure is only effective within the building. If this metal work is taken outside (e.g. gas service in copper around the house or a copper water pipe and tap) a person can make contact with the metal work and if this is during a neutral fault, can receive an electric shock. Of course, this may also occur inside the house but the risk of receiving a leathal shock is reduced through equipotenial bonding and generally having a dry and carpeted environment. Outside is a different matter altogether and in the extreme, a child grabbing hold of an external water tap in bare feet standing in a puddle of water (during a neutral fault) could have lethal consequences.

Before a reply comes back with “the RCD will protect” argument, it won’t. If the neutral fault is on the mains side of the cut out the earth will become live and this conductor will pass current through the person “holding the outside metal work” to true earth, completely bypassing the RCD.

As a disclaimer, if anyone wants advice about specific installations you need to consult a qualified electrical contractor as this discussion is of a general nature. Hopefully it will enhance debate and questions leading to a safer environment.

I'd also like the comfort of knowing the mdpe pipe I'm laying for my gas safe plumber to connect is within regulations and is one of the better options I have open to me.

Thanks for the responses and keep the debates going.

the risk of shock is no different from being inside the house to outside imo, the pipe is bonded either way, you are more likely to wear footwear outside than in and although moisture/rain may decrease resistance to earth it wont make a major difference. If you have a situation where your earth has a live current you will more likely get a shock inside off any bonded metal work like a radiator, boiler etc... then brushing against an outside pipe.

You will have metal pipework at either end of a mdpe run anyway which can be touched outside and the break from copper to plastic will mean part of the gas pipework is no longer bonded which is worse.

what about a radiator in a bathroom, putting the towell back on the rad when you get out the shower, naked and wet. surely this risk is as much if not more than an external copper pipe run. If it is bonded what is the difference? i see the risk as the same, please inform me as to why it isnt

if there is a fault to earth wont the rcd trip off regardless of anyone touching it? thought it measured what current went out and what comes back, if not the same it trips (in simple terms). So a properly bonded pipe would send the fault to earth and trip the rcd, inside or out?

Please tell me if im on the right lines or not

are we not getting confused with not being able to use a pme system to feed a caravan, this can have an effect, and in these conditions then the system must be made into a TT system and an earth rod used, I cannot for the life of me find any information relating to external copper gas pipes or even external water pipes.

Last edited:
use hep20 its rated upto 15 bar so will easily take the pressure, use metal cable ties every 2 metres so it wont move, make sure you put a ballfix valve on it too for icelation

Hep20 for gas? I don't think so! Not approved unless ive missed something. Ithink you must be refering to water pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas pressure problems, use of MDPE pipe outside? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Non-professional / knowledgeable person here. I'm a Brit in Romania who volunteers for a charity building an old peoples home for needy old people. Out here competence and integrity is harder to come by in a worker, in fact it's hard to find workers at all where we are in the countryside...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am a homeowner but caught between a rock & a hard place. I am trying to get a Vaillant ecoTEC 630 plus serviced but the gas safe engineer & Vaillant engineer say one thing, whilst the SGN engineer says another. I do not know how to proceed and would value some informed advice. The rock...
Replies
Views
A
Hi all - hoping to get some advice here on a plumbing issue in our house. When we are showering / filling the bath and another appliance draws water (toilet cistern filling after flushing, tap being turned on or washing machine filling etc), the water pressure / flow to the other appliance...
Replies
Views
Azonic
A
Hello, I have quite low flow rate for my electric shower (a piddling 5L/min), and would like some tips or advice about how to solve or find the cause. I would like a flow rate of about 12L/min. Here is my set-up: Standard gas boiler (not a combi) in the kitchen, have cold water tanks in the...
Replies
Views
Essaboy
E
The copper gas pipe to my boiler in the loft runs between joists and sits on the plasterboard. I understand that it should not be covered by insulation. Why? Is it satisfactory to create a dome over the pipe with upside down guttering and then put fibreglass insulation over the top please?
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock