Search the forum,

Discuss Gas / Plumbing Course in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

I am looking at starting a Level 3 Diploma Gas course which is one day per week at college and 2-3 days per week with an engineer. This course is a total of 34 weeks and is a City and Guilds qualification; however, I am in a dilemma whether or not to do the Plumping course first.
It would be the Level 2 Diploma Plumbing Course, which is also 34 weeks and after completion I can then either do the Level 3 Diploma in Plumbing which is also 34 weeks.
I am not sure whether to do the quicker option of just doing the Gas Course without doing any Plumbing course or do you think if I do the Plumbing first this would put me in a better position for future employment?
If I do all of the courses (plumbing at level 2 and 3 + the gas course) it would take 3 years whereas if I just do the gas course it would take 1 year.
I have no experience. Also what is the difference between the fast track courses and the college ones which take 34 weeks, are the college ones generally more respected when seeking employment?

Training to be a good knowledgeable plumber/gas engineer takes years. It's a marathon, not a sprint and in this game, qualifications mean nothing if you haven't got the experience to back it up. Do the level 2 and 3 courses first and then go onto your gas.

First up, how old are you, what do you do now and why plumbing?

I am 35, and I work in Customer Service. I have been thinking of doing theis course for months and I also want to be qualified and in a decent trade before I am 40.

You can be qualified ie have the bit of paper but still have no idea what it is you’re doing. Not being negative just honest

What is your long term aim? Going down the route you are looking you will essentially have the option of self employed

You can be qualified ie have the bit of paper but still have no idea what it is you’re doing. Not being negative just honest

Do you think 1 year doing a level 2 diploma and then 1 year doing a level 3 diploma will give me lots of experience...I would be on work placement twice a week.

What is your long term aim? Going down the route you are looking you will essentially have the option of self employed

Initially after gained qualifications to work with a company. Would want a few years before venturing out on my own

Depends on the work placement. More often than not you will be stuck with someone too busy to train you and to assist with evidence for portfolios etc particularly on a two day basis. My honest recommendation is speak to a proper college. It will be slower but you WILL learn

Initially after gained qualifications to work with a company. Woukd want a few years begore venturing out on my own
And there lies the problem. No one will touch you without experience

Training to be a good knowledgeable plumber/gas engineer takes years. It's a marathon, not a sprint and in this game, qualifications mean nothing if you haven't got the experience to back it up. Do the level 2 and 3 courses first and then go onto your gas.

If I successfully completed the Level 2 & 3 Diploma in plumbing & the Level 3 diploma in gas I would have a good chance of employment? That would be 3 years training.

If I successfully completed the Level 2 & 3 Diploma in plumbing & the Level 3 diploma in gas I would have a good chance of employment? That would be 3 years training.
Hard to say. All depends on you. I know people who have been in the trade for over 20 years and I still wouldn't trust them in my house.

They will look for apprenticeships and nvqs. Diplomas really don’t count for much

I’m not trying to offend mate and I may be wrong as I know recognised quals change all the time but if you look at any job site they are asking for nvq level 2&3

I’m not trying to offend mate and I may be wrong as I know recognised quals change all the time but if you look at any job site they are asking for nvq level 2&3
No offense taken. Your right though, the nvq 2 and 3 is the preferred qualification and when a potential employer is looking at newly qualified plumbers. The nvq qualified will always win over the diploma.

So as I say I implore you to
Investigate the college route. It will take more time and commitment on your part but will stand you in better stead going forward

Completely agree. Paper proves nothing it's about the individual. Only time will tell I suppose.
If your serious about becoming a plumber and your hearts in it, you'll make it work. Keep a portfolio of your work, not just for your diploma but also to show future employers how you have progressed over the years.

So as I say I implore you to
Investigate the college route. It will take more time and commitment on your part but will stand you in better stead going forward

Sorry for any confusion caused but it is the college route I am looking at. It's one day per week in college and 2 days on placement over 34 weeks. It's a City & Guilds Certificate at Level 3 in Gas or alternatively I can initially do Level 2 in Plumbing (also 34 weeks) then a Level 3 in Plumbing...again 34 weeks. Hope this makes sense.

If your serious about becoming a plumber and your hearts in it, you'll make it work. Keep a portfolio of your work, not just for your diploma but also to show future employers how you have progressed over the years.

Thanks Craig. I am serious. It's something I've wanted to for a long time and I am willing to put the time & effort in.

Thanks Craig. I am serious. It's something I've wanted to for a long time and I am willing to put the time & effort in.
I should reiterate I’m not saying don’t do it. If it’s a proper college and NOT a training centre then speak to someone there about what your options are at the end of the course(s) I’d be surprised if a college will tell you you’ll be employable

Nothing wrong with changing career.

But.

IMHO its all about the individual and the choices they make.

90% will fall by the wayside and will only excell in lining the pockets of dodgy training centres.

Another 8% will realise all the bull the training centres is just that, bull. There's not a skills shortage and you won't earn 100,000 a year.

The other 2 % will go on to succeed in the trade. After a long period of hard work and earning feck all.

Good luck.

I should reiterate I’m not saying don’t do it. If it’s a proper college and NOT a training centre then speak to someone there about what your options are at the end of the course(s) I’d be surprised if a college will tell you you’ll be employable

I know and it's good advice thanks. I will definately speak to them first. It's not a training centre...It is a proper college. Best thing for me to do is have an initial interview with them & take it from there.

Definitely I don’t know many colleges offering a work placement that’s all

Ahhhh then that’s a different kettle of fish you didnt day that. I’d still strongly recommend you speak to the college and explain that as it may open up better course options

Ahhhh then that’s a different kettle of fish you didnt day that. I’d still strongly recommend you speak to the college and explain that as it may open up better course options

Sorry I'm not the best at explaining. I will speak to the college & see what they say. I am glad for the advice on this site.

Ever thought of laying tiles, it is quicker & cheaper to learn, easier to be SE and pays the same day rate.

Hello, Can anyone give me some advice on gas/plumbing training courses. I have worked in the Marine industry for over 25 years. My work involved plumbing, Hydraulics, electrical single phase, 3 phase, air con and diesel engines etc. I am not qualified as a Marine engineer but have a lot of experience in this industry. Could I manage a training course and are they worth the money. I have one near me and they offer placements to build your portfolio..Any advice would be great thanks

Reply to Gas / Plumbing Course in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock