Search the forum,

Discuss Gas Pipe question 22mm to 15mm in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I have a gas pipe running to my boiler which I think is 22m then reduces to 15mm about a meter before it enters the boiler. When I look from underneath the boiler it looks like there's another 22mm pipe running horizontal over where the 15 mm bit goes in.
Was wondering if this is correct ?

Also wondered about how much it would cost to have a new 22mm pipe fitted in place if the 15mm? It'seems about 2 meters long with 1 bend and will probably need a couple of elbows.

Cheers

Pics please. What do you think is wrong with it

Is it a Worcester boiler that you have? Pictures would be good though.

Also wondered about how much it would cost to have a new 22mm pipe fitted in place if the 15mm? It'seems about 2 meters long with 1 bend and will probably need a couple of elbows.

It'll cost nothing to leave it alone, which is what you should do IMO. When your boiler is next replaced (they don't last forever) the installer will upgrade the run if necessary as part of the deal and it will add about £15 to the total cost.

As an isolated job, with call-out fee, performing necessary tests and a 'small job premium' expect to spend ten times that.

It'll cost nothing to leave it alone, which is what you should do IMO. When your boiler is next replaced (they don't last forever) the installer will upgrade the run if necessary as part of the deal and it will add about £15 to the total cost.

As an isolated job, with call-out fee, performing necessary tests and a 'small job premium' expect to spend ten times that.

If the gas pipe should have been 22mm then it should have been done on the last boiler install. If the last Engineer didn’t do it. What makes you think the next will?

If working Pressure at the Boiler is as it's supposed to be, there's no issue with what size it is.

If working Pressure at the Boiler is as it's supposed to be, there's no issue with what size it is.
Unless the manufactures instructions say it should be a certain size, which they all do.
Prime example of engineers being lazy and cutting corners

Unless the manufactures instructions say it should be a certain size, which they all do.

You're quite right there Harvest, they do tell you not to use pipe work below the size of the connection to the appliance.

This is from Vaillant:-

2.5.3 Gas supply An existing gas meter should be checked to ensure that it is capable of passing the rate of gas supply required. Installation pipes should be fitted in accordance with BS 6891, in IE in accordance with the current issue of IS 813. Pipework from the meter to the boiler must be of an adequate size. Do not use pipes of a smaller size than the boiler gas connection. The complete installation must be tested and purged in accordance with: – IGE/UP /1B for systems up to 0.035 m3 capacity – for larger systems IGE/UP/1A and – for LPG installations refer to BS 5482 - 1 or – IGE/UP1 Edition 2 for larger volume installations.

This is from BS 6891 Which Vaillant refer to:-

5.2 Pipe sizing 5.2.1 When designing an installation, the sizes of all installation pipes shall be determined from the maximum gas rate of the appliances to be connected. COMMENTARY AND RECOMMENDATIONS ON 5.2.1 Allowance should also be made for any future extensions which might be anticipated, especially if the pipes are to be buried. Annex A gives a method of calculating pipe sizes in a system. 5.2.2 The pressure drop between the outlet of the meter and the points to be connected shall not exceed 1 mbar at maximum flow conditions (see Table 1).

If the connection on the appliance is 15mm, it is fine to use 15mm pipe as long as it provides the correct volume of gas and an acceptable pressure drop across the installation, with all the other necessary considerations taken into account.

Thanks for the replies, i've added a couple of photos to hopefully shed a bit more light on the matter

The boiler is a glowworm combi
20180224_113453.jpg
20180224_113523.jpg

That pipework looks a right mess. But it does look like the connector onto the boiler is 15mm which means it is ok. When yor gas Engineer changes the pipework and makes it neater. I would extend the 22mm gas pipe almost right up to the boiler. But thats just me.

Are you fitting a new kitchen around the boiler?

Yep - one of those lead pipes looks like a hot service to somewhere?, you'll be losing a lot of heat in the lead and to the ground where it's covered in soil :eek:

If the gas pipe should have been 22mm then it should have been done on the last boiler install. If the last Engineer didn’t do it. What makes you think the next will?

I don't, which is why I qualified it with the phrase "if necessary". It could become necessary because (a) different model of boiler with differing MIs from the current one, or (b) change in regs, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas Pipe question 22mm to 15mm in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock