Search the forum,

Discuss Gas pipe in concrete in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

beesley121

Hi guys,

Any offer the best way to lay a gas pipe within a new concrete floor that is being laid? No other way to route gas pipe other than in floor

Can be laid in concrete if sleeved in plastic or removable ducting.

do you mean a screed'd floor? its quite common to lay pipework in a screed.

No guys, the floor in the house is being raised. It will be done in concrete but the screed on top. It's quite hard to explain the layout but there's no other way the pipe can be laid, so a small section, 1 meter will need to go across and then up through the concrete.

No guys, the floor in the house is being raised. It will be done in concrete but the screed on top. It's quite hard to explain the layout but there's no other way the pipe can be laid, so a small section, 1 meter will need to go across and then up through the concrete.
Not a good idea to have gas pipe in the concrete if at all possible, the danger is movement shearing the pipe. Can it not be raised to suit the future new screed level without running in the concrete??

If it has to go into concrete then at least use malleable (type Z I think) 22mm underground copper and try to put it through a continuous sleeve. Failing the sleeve option at least cover it with 13 mm foam insulation and wrap it with a Denso type tape. Better to overdo things as much as possible for greater safety.

eta. Do not have any joints in the pipe work inside the concrete. Continuous pipe only.

(looks like it is type L copper)

Last edited:
Copper pipe can't be laid in concrete slabs....it can only go in a screed and must have 25mm of screed cover above it, the pipe should be sleeved in the screed, no comp joints allowed in the pipe and it should be pressure tested prior to screeding. Preferred method evidently is to lay pipe in purpose made ducts with protective covers.......trac-pipe can be buried in concrete slabs though.......

Seems there are alot of different opinions. Why is there 'bits' within the gas industry that are open to interpretation?

I understand it's not good to have a gas pipe buried in concrete because of various reasons. What I want to know is if there's no other option, can it be done and how? I've tried to find a bs but not find anything that relates to pipe in concrete

Trac-pipe for that section is really your best/only option, BS 7838 compliant corrugated factory sheethed pipe to be really technical about it.....

confirmation of what has already been said ( couldn't copy the picture )
BS 6891:2005+A2:2008

8.8 Pipes buried in concrete ground floors
8.8.1 Installation pipework shall not be buried in concrete slabs.
8.8.2 Rigid stainless steel pipework shall not be buried in concrete screeds.
Pipe buried in concrete screed shall be installed in accordance with Figure 5.
Where a pipe is buried in a concrete screed there shall be a minimum of 25 mm of cover above the pipe.
8.8.3 Pipes buried in concrete ground floors shall be protected against failure caused by movement. Joints
shall be kept to a minimum. Compression fittings shall not be buried in concrete screeds or concrete slab.
COMMENTARY AND RECOMMENDATIONS ON 8.8.3
Suitable methods of protection are as follows.
a) Pipe laid on top of base concrete and subsequently covered by a screed (see also 9.2.1).
b) Steel or copper pipe installed into preformed ducts with protective covers.
c) Steel or copper pipe fitted with additional soft, non-permeable covering material. The coverings should
be soft and thick enough to provide movement yet resilient enough to support the concrete cover while it is
setting.
The covering should be at least 5 mm thick and resistant to concrete ingress which would negate its ability
to allow movement.
Reference should also be made to 9.2.1 for the application of adequate corrosion protection.
8.8.4 Pipes passing vertically through solid floors shall take the shortest practicable route and shall be
sleeved (see 8.10).
8.8.5 Compression fittings shall not be buried in the structure or below ground.

Last edited:
So can someone tell me what the difference is between a concrete slab and a concrete ground floor?

A concrete slab is the basic unfinished floor sometimes it will be the foundation.
Usually cast at the start of the project and finished 1 - 2" below finished floor level. You then come along and lay your services on top of that slab. It is then covered over and levelled with a screed. This is a different mix and is weaker than the slab.

Here is the picture Simon couldn't post.
Sometimes pictures speak a thousand words.

screed.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas pipe in concrete in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have an old steel water mains pipe (approx 45mm) that I need to connect to a new pehd water mains (25mm). I can't get at it to create a new thread so what's the best way of connecting the two? Cheers, Peter
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock