Search the forum,

Discuss Gas meter in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony Clifton

Gas Engineer
The Polish round here have been claiming free gas on the old U gas meters by disconnecting and putting a vacuum on it to rewind the dial, can this really be done?

This is theft
Fraud
Dangerous
And the gas board can prove when it's been done and sue you for the amount they think you have stolen

The Polish round here have been claiming free gas on the old U gas meters by disconnecting and putting a vacuum on it to rewind the dial, can this really be done?

Just out of curiosity...how do you know this?

yes I agree its like a free for all on knowledge. If the gas company suspect you of stealing gas ,They will remove the gas meter and send it away to an independent lab and they have a way of proving the meter has been clocked , So be warned you will get done

yes I agree its like a free for all on knowledge. If the gas company suspect you of stealing gas ,They will remove the gas meter and send it away to an independent lab and they have a way of proving the meter has been clocked , So be warned you will get done

The new meters won't go backwards. I read a report or I was told that they have a mechanism that doesn't allow it

Without giving too much away ,there are ways of determining whether or not a meter has been fiddled. Even so,gas suppliers software is pretty accurate when it comes to estimating bills so if they see a sudden drop in consumption..well..there is usually only a small number of reasons why.

Without giving too much away ,there are ways of determining whether or not a meter has been fiddled. Even so,gas suppliers software is pretty accurate when it comes to estimating bills so if they see a sudden drop in consumption..well..there is usually only a small number of reasons why.

i shouldnt even suggest this, but IF you did steal gas the best way to do it is to keep your bill the same but double your consumption which means as you say they wont see a sudden dip in gas bill, and the tomatoes you are growing in the back room will be lovely!!!!!

if you fitted a new A rated boiler and some modern controls you would save on your gas consumption. so a certain difference would not be a red flag, now if you used 40-50% less than last year it might look alot more suspicious.

luck for me ive tapped my gas off next door when they were on holiday so its all free! ;)

JOKE

All gas suppliers have division/section know as revenue protection. the have the law in their hands as it is their gas supply (customers only rent the use off) They can come it your home without notifying you and issue mega fines enforced by the CPS if neccessary I have been involved in the past with them (not through steeling gas obviously) I can tell you they are ruthless as it plain and simple theft. The law abiding folk out there like most of us are absolutley hate theives.
I would inform the relevant person/s if I new of a theft / theif / scum who nicked any thing

luck for me ive tapped my gas off next door when they were on holiday so its all free! ;)

hose and jubilee clips. Or speed fit 10mm ??

As another query.

I've always wondered if you can take the gas legally

The gas meter has a flow rate at which it starts working

COULD you set up a very small burner and burn just the little bit of gas that passes through a meter before it starts to register a reading

Not exactly theft. Just finding a loophole in the design of the meter

If you loose 3mb in 2mins it will register surely you know that

I'm taking very small

hose and jubilee clips. Or speed fit 10mm ??

speedfit 10mm throught the wall no sleave then i have increased to 28mm for 1m to supply the 30kw combi. The 28mm was to avoid a 1mb drop from there meter otherwise i would have had to at risk it. :)

The only free gas I get comes from my backside, and believe me:

NO ONE WANTS IT. Free or not.

so what your saying, split a 15mm before the meter then rejoin the outlet 50/50 so to speek.lol.

i was speculating at what percentage less then expected your gas supplier would take note and possibly consider investigating further. After all a new system and insulation could make your bill down quite a big percentage. I do know somebody from years ago that had a spare meter and slowly over the space of a couple of years got his bills down 50% by doing a constant 2weeks correct meter, 2 weeks spare meter all year round.

if meter was turned on side gas flow rate be same and dial would slow down or is this just crap that polish plumber told me today

you do have to wonder how they get away with putting something so dangerous up on a public site like you tube the worlds gone mad

round here the 'jeremy kyle' candidates use a simpler method of spragging the meter. basically the dial turns under impetus from the bellows mechanism, they just undo the couplings drop a screwdriver in which prevents the bellows opening and closing and therefore the meter spinning but the gas still comes through.

a couple of em got caught 'cos the meter was outside on same wall as flue outlet!! boiler pumping out flue gases and meter not spinning.... d'oh!

by what percentage, do you know?

For domestic situations it wont be significant.

You could calculate it using the combined gas laws i.e pv/t where p=pressure v = volume and t = tempurature

Some larger volume installations employ temperature correction devices to standardise the readings.

I think its abit sad nicking gas especially if you have a job ,worse still if your a gas engineer imho

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas meter in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Had conventional boiler and tanks removed last year and new combi fitted and just recently had it serviced but the guy who did it has given me a gas warning notice for at risk as the outside wall meter box has been drilled through for the gas pipe to go horizontal straight to the boiler. The...
Replies
Views
We have an old gas pipe in the understairs cupboard. The previous occupants had the gas meter moved, but this old pipe remained. This pipe goes behind the electrical CU which I'm due to have replaced soon. We are looking to cut the old pipe out, but trying to working out what material it's...
Replies
Views
British Gas servicing the above boiler ramped up the boiler to maximum in the installer menu to do flue gas analysis. They also measured the working gas pressure on the gas valve test nipple. This fell to 8mbar on maximum and 17mbar on high setting. They then removed the isolation valve under...
Replies
Views
Dear all, We were disconnected by our gas supplier. We have no managed to find the money to clear the bill. They have told us it will take 10 days to reconnect us. There is a vulnerable old person in the house and we have no heating or hot water. Also we are worried that the pipes will freeze...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I currently have an external water meter (which is a sub-meter) of my neighbours meter. The mains supply runs into their garden and then splits off into my sub-meter. We are planning on building an extension near to the existing external sub-meter and I have sought advice from Yorkshire...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock