Search the forum,

Discuss Gas meter moved outside but not reconnected. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello
My Parents wanted their gas meter moved outside. It was in the kitchen and was to be moved to the opposite wall outside.
Northern Gas would disconnect the old meter and put a meter box outside and connect the outside gas pipe to the box. Octopus (their supplier) would come after and connect a new meter in the box. Sounds simple enough.

Today Northern Gas came and did their bit and left. When the meter man came however, he could not connect the meter as their was no new pipe going from the box through the wall connecting to the internal pipe. He told he was only qualified to connect the meter and nothing else, so he left.
We rang Octopus and they said they would send and emergency team out to sort it super quick today. (my parents are pensioners) Later we got a call from the same meter man saying they were sending him, but he could not do it and to contact Octopus.
Octopus closed for the night and will only except emails. Parents home with no heating and hot water.

Did we mess up? Were we suppost to have a gas fitter come inbetween Northern gas and Octopus and connect the new pipe up? Or have one of the others missed a step. Hope someone here could maybe shed some light on this, if they have any experience in these matter.

Thanks

Yep needs a gas safe engy to re do the pipe to the new location

Thank you. So their was miscommunication somewhere. Dunno if we were suppose to know this or were meant to be told this at some point first. So Octopus would not have any Gas safe engineers on staff at all and we need to find out own GSR in the morning?

Both Northern Gas and Octopus, mainly, should really have told your parents that someone else needed to move the pipe.
It's probably in the small print on both their sites.
Yes you'll need to find someone.

Where are they, someone on here may help.?

What an effing balls up! Wedgy I sympathise entirely and hope that your old folks don't suffer too much by way of the glaring 'not my problem' mentality of these effing poorly managed large municipals and their pony good for nothing 'computer says no' subcontractors.

At some point in this process your old folks property would have needed to be surveyed by Northern Gas in order to ascertain what works were to be carried out. I argue, it would have been at this juncture through the process of on site survey and inspection that the customer should have been told what exactly their responsibilities are. If this didn't happen that's bad practice, but not entirely surprising by way of todays modern Britain's large municipal customer service practice.

If I or any of the decent contributors on here run their business's like that we'd get a reputation worthy of a visit from that leather clad motorbike riding d!ck from BBC Watchdog.

That being said, it is indeed the homeowners responsibility to ensure this aspect of the gas supply. And yes, it's more than likely stated to that effect on their T&C's on some paper work that was handed to your old folks. Poor bugg£rs. They are of a different generation of trusting '...the nice man who came round from the gas board'!

Get a Gas Safe Reg engineer to install the necessary extension to the pipe work and IF possible get him to be onsite when the useless fcukwits from Octopussy or what ever they're called come back to install the meter so that you can get the gas installation safely commissioned. I'm just sorry I can't help....being all the way down here in Sussex.

Good luck.

Reply to Gas meter moved outside but not reconnected. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock