Search the forum,

Discuss Gas meter display blank in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Darren Jackson

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Come to service a boiler, fire & gas hob, but the battery in the E6 meter display appears to be dead or the thing is broken. So there is no way I can gas rate the appliances! What would you guy's do? The home owner has just moved in and says she has been in touch with BG as she can not take a meter reading, there coming out in 6 weeks to have a look and say as long as she has gas coming through it is ok. I think that I should AR it as I cannot tell if the appliances are working correctly etc... Your oppinion much appreciated.

Call the guys out they will do it ASAP as it’s not registering how much gas they use :D

Me personally depends on flame pic and burner pressure would leave alone

This is what I have done-

As flame pictures look healthy on fire and hob and all pressures are ok **** all ticked & recorded passed, Boiler inlet is 19.5 and FGA readings is good. I've stapled fga printout to cert and put * in the gas rate box with a foot note saying *unable to gas rate boiler due to inoperative meter display and walked away.

The Regs demand that one tests has rate or burnet pressure. But it also says something along the lines of “unless impractical “, so just go on FGA, meter and burner pressures where applicable, and flame picture. And make a note accordingly. How can it be AR?

The Regs demand that one tests has rate or burnet pressure. But it also says something along the lines of “unless impractical “, so just go on FGA, meter and burner pressures where applicable, and flame picture. And make a note accordingly. How can it be AR?

Modern boiler so could not take burner pressure and I could not gas rate it due to faulty meter display. So that is why I was asking for opinions. See my last post ^^ as to what I did in the end.

Inlet pressure is acceptable

Modern boiler so could not take burner pressure and I could not gas rate it due to faulty meter display. So that is why I was asking for opinions. See my last post ^^ as to what I did in the end.

Fair enough, Darren. I think I was probably composing my message (on phone which is a pain and slow (big fingers, small buttons) as you were posting. Also, I said "where applicable", regarding Zero governors

Not sure that it is, Shaun - inlet pressure proves nothing except that pressure is available

And your fga proves the boilers running ok / within spec so aslong as you have enough gas your fine

What’s unsafe with just not checking the gas rate

And your fga proves the boilers running ok / within spec so aslong as you have enough gas your fine

What’s unsafe with just not checking the gas rate

I am not saying it is neccessarily unsafe, Shaun, but I don't make the rules - and 26/9 DEMANDS a gas rate or burner pressure test (unless impractical). So inlet pressure does not comply.

Last edited:
I am not saying it is neccessarily unsafe, Shaun, but I don't make the rules - and 26/9 DEMANDS a gas rate or burner pressure test (unless impractical). So inlet essure does not comply.

Some have inlet pressure or gas rate on the forms

Don’t forget you can’t gas rate on lpg normally

Some have inlet pressure or gas rate on the forms

Don’t forget you can’t gas rate on lpg normally

You ean CP12's? if so, it is irrelevant. The ones we use ask about Co alarms and smoke alarms! But what is relevant is that the regs ask for BP/GR unless impractical - which covers LPG. If it is practical to GR or get BP then the egs insist that you do.

Having reread your post, I think you may be mistaken. The forms, I am reasonably confident, will say BP or Gr. They may have a section to record IP, but not as an alternative to GR.

ok not practical as the meters faulty

Jeez, Shaun,which is what I said in my first post.

But that is not what you were saying.

so on this occasion inlet pressure would be acceptable as this would prove with the fga results safe operation

Sometimes you just have to make a call on things utilising your knowledge & past experience.

If you are really worried then once the meter &/or battery was replaced by gas provider you called out you could go back to confirm gas rate with the FGA & pressure as mentioned above & annotate the CP12.

If I cannot do a GR or BP then AR for me.

Nonsense, if everything else is okay. Have you actually considered what you are doing? WTF are you making up your own rules? The regs aactually allow for not being able to. Why are folk so keen to turn everything off. There is a danger of over estimating nes importance, IMO.

Because I am the one signing the ticket and for the sake of 4 hours. I can go do another job or 3 and then go back and finish the cert.

But you said you would A. Which is overstepping your remit and powers.

Fair enough, abort the job and return if you wish, but it is totally wrong to stick DO NOT USE labels everywhere unless they are justified.

If I was a LL and you pulled that stunt and had tenants hassling me, you would be answering questions.

I passed everything and recorded the fact that I could not GR due to faulty display on meter and left the CP12. So I did not AR and left everything as it was.
It was niggling at me all last night, so I phoned Gas Safe technical for guidance this morning. The chap says as long as inlet is within 1mbar from the meter reading proving correct pipe sizing so it is not under gassed and FGA readings are good then pass it and record on cert that you could not GR and the reason why. And report it to the gas supplier. So I am happy I made the right decision in the end. Thanks to all for your opinions in this matter. You never stop learning in this game.

But you said you would A. Which is overstepping your remit and powers.

Fair enough, abort the job and return if you wish, but it is totally wrong to stick DO NOT USE labels everywhere unless they are justified.

If I was a LL and you pulled that stunt and had tenants hassling me, you would be answering questions.
We Will agree to disagree mate. You do what you need to and so will I.

I passed everything and recorded the fact that I could not GR due to faulty display on meter and left the CP12. So I did not AR and left everything as it was.
It was niggling at me all last night, so I phoned Gas Safe technical for guidance this morning. The chap says as long as inlet is within 1mbar from the meter reading proving correct pipe sizing so it is not under gassed and FGA readings are good then pass it and record on cert that you could not GR and the reason why. And report it to the gas supplier. So I am happy I made the right decision in the end. Thanks to all for your opinions in this matter. You never stop learning in this game.

Which is exactly what I said. But nobody knows everything, and it is right to take steps to be certain that you are acting properly. At least you don't have to go back :)

Reply to Gas meter display blank in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock