Search the forum,

Discuss Gas Meter Bracket - Help! Arguing with First Utility in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

D

Deleted member 102506

Recently I had a gas meter changed, our old one was over 30yr old, and the metal bracket had completely corroded - it was in bits.

After it was changed I checked and noticed they have fitted the new meter to what's left of the corroded bracket.

I've been arguing with First Utility ever since about getting them back to replace it. They insist it is not their responsibility - I know it is.

Please could you advise the rules and regs around this?

I've found the BS 8499:2017 pertains to the bracket but don't own a copy to quote it.

Who do First Utility say is responsible for the bracket?

It's called a Meter bracket, it supports the meter and Govenor
First Utility (or the relevant Gas supplier) own the meter and govenor.
It doesn't support the incoming gas service, it doesn't support the customers pipework.

They say its my responsibility and to contact a gas safe engineer. I keep telling them its their equipment and their responsibility but were just round in circles.

So I'm getting a bit more formal now, hence request for rules and regs

This is the old meter and whats left of the bracket that they have fitted the new meter to!

20181018_173051.jpg

I know, I wasn't there when they changed it to check, just assumed any normal person would have changed it.

Am I right in thinking that they are a requirement? It's just hanging by the pipes now

according to SGN and some others your the owner of the meter box so the responsibility is with the customer who owns the property they will repair or fit a new one for you. but it will cost

Under the Gas Act 1996, the domestic meter box is part of the fabric of the property and as such is the responsibility of the property owner/occupier to ensure it is adequately maintained. All repair/replacement work is chargeable.

ok, looks like I'm in the wrong... just cant believe they installed it to what's left of my bracket. I'd have nipped out for one had I know.

Can any GS plumber remove and refit meter to a new bracket?

Yes any GSR engineer can fit a new bracket for you.

Its a bit of a funny one imo because when they fitted the meter they should have fitted it with a sound bracket, even if they did charge you for the bracket itself, as when you fit a meter you are meant to ensure its securely held in place, but now that they have done it that way its going to be up to you to pay for getting it done properly.

no i dont think they can, they have to have Met 1 i think so they can work on meters. but the bracket is part of the box so you should change it all. depends on the mains coming in also if its attached to the box then he wont be able to touch it. would need to be your supplier. i may be wrong

no i dont think they can, they have to have Met 1 i think so they can work on meters. but the bracket is part of the box so you should change it all. depends on the mains coming in also if its attached to the box then he wont be able to touch it. would need to be your supplier. i may be wrong

I'm pretty sure as long as you are not changing the meter you can, I'll see if can confirm either way.

http://www.igem.org.uk/media/163718...ter relocation _final record _5_ for gsr_.pdf

If you look at table 1 towards the bottom, you can temporarily remove, or reposition a meter if you are GSR, its only if you are relocating it (i.e. new pipework required, rather than just re positioning within the same location) that you also need OAMI and it does not need to be notified. Pretty sure replacing the bracket would fit under the first two scenarios.

My thoughts exactly pickwickpick.. its just dangling by the pipes now, which was why I've been trying to get them back to fix it secure.

It would have taken 5mins whilst the meter was off, now I'm going to have to bugger about and get it changed.

You cant change the bracket without removing inlet and outlet from meter can you? The fiberglass box coving meter etc just lifts off.

Legally you are responsible for the
Maintaining the meter box it should not have got to that condition in the first place if I come across one like that I get it sorted out you would like to think that at the time of a meter upgrade it would have been replaced but in reality they only have a limited time to carry out this work , I often remove the gas meter to work on the gas supply , you have to prove yourself competent in doing this in your gas training i have replaced the whole meter box occasionally anything on the incoming supply and regulator I get cadenet out to replaced or repaired . Kop

The box belongs to the property owner, the bracket is part of the box. What should have happened is the new meter should not have been fitted untill the box has been changed.

Its an energy company, they wont get involved in small issues like a one off charge for a metal bracket. Any gas safe engineer would sort it.

At the end of the day and regardless of 'whose bracket' this is,
if the company replacing the Meter have an issue with ownership, cost and responsibility, then on first inspection of that and prior to commencing work they should, in my opinion, make the responsible person aware that the Meter requires an adequate support and either the responsible person needs to have it seen to prior to the Meter being changed or they can do it for an extra charge during the Meter change.

I think that would demonstrate common sense and fairness.

Last edited:
I agree, Last Plumber. Seems like the installer just decided to get in and out as quick as possible. I find it amazing that they actually re-used that bracket, whoever it actually belongs to.

I think you'll find if the pipe work to the meter is securely fixed and is of rigid pipe work ( copper etc ) it doesn't even need a fixing bracket. That's copper on one side.

I think you'll find if the pipe work to the meter is securely fixed and is of rigid pipe work ( copper etc ) it doesn't even need a fixing bracket. That's copper on one side.

But on the regulator side there's going to be a semi rigid anaconda, if you knock the meter without it being secured to a bracket wouldn't that place strain on the copper pipework possibly leading to a leak?

I'm not saying it's a good thing, that's just the regs if it's and old installation. So the energy company can always get out of doing it. I did one recently where the meter and bracket were replaced but the bracket screws came away from the wall. I removed the meter and refitted the bracket correctly. The energy supplier paid the client who then paid me.

This is what happens when you dont have to inform ncs to the customer.

If you want them to come back to fit a bracket, ring them and demend they remove THEIR meter from YOUR property, inform them you have purchased your own gas meter and will be having your own meter installed.

Reply to Gas Meter Bracket - Help! Arguing with First Utility in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Had conventional boiler and tanks removed last year and new combi fitted and just recently had it serviced but the guy who did it has given me a gas warning notice for at risk as the outside wall meter box has been drilled through for the gas pipe to go horizontal straight to the boiler. The...
Replies
Views
My daughter has just moved into her first rental house with gas stove and hot water in Melbourne. The meter (pictured) definitely has gas connected to the regulator. But gas is not getting to the stove or water heater. The previous tenant had turned the gas tap off at the meter but it's on now...
Replies
Views
So I bought my first flat recently (am in UK) and in a bit of a pickle as the bathroom has turned up lots of problems that weren't picked up by the survey. I have had loads of plumbers over, and have always carefully checked their reviews/tried to vet them as much as possible. However, I've had...
Replies
Views
Hi folks, I'm a bit concerned with what the Gas Transporter is proposing regarding a replacement pipe install to the properties in the close I live on. The demographic is predominantly elderly, but it seems to be the contractors have gone a bit kamikaze & seem obsessed with finishing early...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am just about to move into a new build property. I took the water meter readings and they read 000000,620 I had a look around the property like you do and used the toilet. When I flushed it the water kept trickling into the toilet and not into the cistern. The cistern is built...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock