Search the forum,

Discuss Gas MDPE in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riley

Super Moderator
S. Mod
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Went to price a couple of issues left by another gas guy who has fallen off the face of the earth. He has done a gas pipe running under a screed floor in MDPE and then 5 meters exposed along an internal wall to the meter position.

Basically my question is can MDPE be run on view? It's clipped more than enough and is tidy but I've never used MDPE on something like this. Usually use Gastite or Tracpipe

Any guidance appreciated

matt

has he oversized the mdpe? if he has you could run trac inside it

and no as it doesnt like sun light

Cheers Shaun

It's inside still in like a converted garage no direct sun as no windows. I realise that's not an excuse but this customer has been left with a lot of snags to pick up after a building firm and their GS guy left them unfinished. The customer did ask if it could be boxed in with suitable ventilation. I didn't think it should be exposed but can't see an issue with it being boxed?? Can you see any issues

Cheers Shaun

It's inside still in like a converted garage no direct sun as no windows. I realise that's not an excuse but this customer has been left with a lot of snags to pick up after a building firm and their GS guy left them unfinished. The customer did ask if it could be boxed in with suitable ventilation. I didn't think it should be exposed but can't see an issue with it being boxed?? Can you see any issues

as long as its vented and protected should be fine cant you cut it low down and run the rest in copper?

problem is it might need to be boxed in fireproof stuff

whats the garage being used as?

Last edited:
It's purely storage. The way the layout has been altered you cannot get a car in anymore

It's purely storage. The way the layout has been altered you cannot get a car in anymore

think it will be ok best bet tho phone gas safe and get it in writing from them but cant see any problem as long as the regs are followed

That's my thinking. As I say the pipe is already in, connected and operational. I just picked up this exposed section so wanted to advise properly. If they can get away with suitable boxing then I suspect this will be preferable

That's my thinking. As I say the pipe is already in, connected and operational. I just picked up this exposed section so wanted to advise properly. If they can get away with suitable boxing then I suspect this will be preferable

:D you know what your doing tomorrow morning

BS 6891:2005
Installation of low pressure gas pipework of up to 35 mm (R11⁄4) in domestic premises (2nd family gas) — Specification
8.5 Installation of PE pipework
8.5.1 Polyethylene installation pipework and fittings shall only be used for exterior installation pipework.
COMMENTARY AND RECOMMENDATIONS ON 8.5.1
It is preferable to use metal gas pipe entries into domestic buildings. The GSIUR [1] require that where polyethylene pipe is used to enter the building, that part of it within the building is placed within a metal sheath which is constructed and installed so as to prevent, as far as practicable, gas escaping into the building if the pipe should fail.
8.5.2 Polyethylene pipe and fittings shall only be used above ground to extend underground polyethylene installation pipe above ground level for entry into a building. The polyethylene pipework above ground level shall rise vertically to the point of entry into the building, which shall be as close as practicable to the external ground level. The length of pipework above ground level shall be protected against daylight and mechanical damage.
Customer is not going to be happy I know but it will all need to be replaced even the run in the screed.

If they know the GSR number of the first installer they should report this.

Last edited:
Cheers Chris. Was definitely right to query it then

Cut at ground level and transition to copper all ok then

I was just going to say it cannot enter the building and that it has to be terminated externally.

As well as not being UV rated PE isn't fire rated.

Thanks cropster. If it terminates externally then surely the compression type fitting must need to be underground?not doubting you just trying to get my head round it

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas MDPE in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock