Search the forum,

Discuss Gas leak on fire (after the gas valve) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Jennie

Gas Engineer
How far do you all go during servicing to test for leaks on gas fires?

Up to the gas valve is easy -- drop test/ LDF on joints.

But I had a gas fire this week, leaking from where the control 'pusher' goes into the gas valve. Visually it looked OK. But after smelling gas while using the fire, I searched for - and found - the leak. The fire is now isolated, and awaiting a new gas valve.

But for future fires, how can we say something is safe when we can't be sure of leaks after the gas valve? Even if I routinely sprayed LDF on everything after the valve, I could miss a leak.

Would be interested to hear your thoughts.

Jennie.

But I had a gas fire this week, leaking from where the control 'pusher' goes into the gas valve. Visually it looked OK. But after smelling gas while using the fire, I searched for - and found - the leak. The fire is now isolated, and awaiting a new gas valve.

But for future fires, how can we say something is safe when we can't be sure of leaks after the gas valve? Even if I routinely sprayed LDF on everything after the valve, I could miss a leak.

Jennie.
I always use a gasco seeker on all live joints on every gas appliance I work on as a matter of habit. It is not just gas fires that need a thorough inspection.
There are lots of gas detection/sniffer type products about now quite reasonably priced.

I always use a gasco seeker on all live joints on every gas appliance I work on as a matter of habit. It is not just gas fires that need a thorough inspection.
There are lots of gas detection/sniffer type products about now quite reasonably priced.

Thanks for that - I've been thinking of buying a sniffer. I'll definitely get one. :)

Jennie.

Flavel?

Reply to Gas leak on fire (after the gas valve) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock