Search the forum,

Discuss Gas Landlords Certificate in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

D

Deleted member 100598

Evening All,

I need advise and guidance to set up a small business.
I want to start with doing Gas Safe inspection, for myself.

My experience and knowledge, I done colleges courses Gas techincal level 2 straight after the course I got a job in British Gas were I worked for 5 years, I was Gas Safe registered, however I was installing gas and electric meters. Part of my role when exchanging gas meters I use to check all the gas appliances and as necessary I would do the ID or NC standards ect..., gas leak checks the whole.

Now I am working as a BMS Engineer been in this industry 3 years.

All advices and guidances most welcome.
I have contacted a colleague who are happy for me to come and do the gas safe exam and appliances.

Regards,

Dan.

Your half way there then bud it used to be you could only train if you had a related trade which you obviously have , the only problem I can see is you lack the practical skill you may well be able to identify a fault or faults on a installation but can you repair them and be sure that appliances are operating correctly and are fitted to the regulations it takes years of experience and is not something you learn on a few weeks course, don't be put off by my comments if it's really what you want to do many of these courses offer placements with companies where you go out in the field and work with a service and break down gas safe engineer I would advise you go down that route . All the best kop

Hi,

I completely agree with the fact that courses only give a exposure to the trade the only way to learn it to get your hands dirty.

However I was under impression that doing Gas Safe certificate is only inspection like an MOT and I don’t have to fix things, is that right?

Hi,

I completely agree with the fact that courses only give a exposure to the trade the only way to learn it to get your hands dirty.

However I was under impression that doing Gas Safe certificate is only inspection like an MOT and I don’t have to fix things, is that right?
I own a number of properties and also survey them professionally. Usually the inspection is done and any problems sorted on same visit.
I would not want a stream of people visiting. My vehicles also go to garage for mot and are sorted out on the premises same day. Rob Foster aka centralheatking

I own a number of properties and also survey them professionally. Usually the inspection is done and any problems sorted on same visit.
I would not want a stream of people visiting. My vehicles also go to garage for mot and are sorted out on the premises same day. Rob Foster aka centralheatking
I would love to be able have the time to collect parts and fit them the same day. If they are not stock items I personally wouldn’t have time in the day to run around and fit them. You must be very lucky or your engineer not that busy mate?

I guess you both right, we can’t carry with us all parts but also I should gear myself with a minimum number of equipment to fix things on the go.

For example common issue I use to see, no chain to stabilise cooker, gas cooker bayonet not facing down ect...

It’s making thing that I defo need to skill up a bit more before I jump in the deep end, I work on large plant commercials HVAC ect... so it’s very relavante knowledge.

Can someone list the most common issue found on a gas safety inspection.

Thanks in advance.

Im plaining to start with private and may be move to estate agents, I want to this as a seconde income to start with as I am struggling very much with cost at the moment ( don’t want to get too personal but I’m going trough a complicated divorce ect..)

I would love to be able have the time to collect parts and fit them the same day. If they are not stock items I personally wouldn’t have time in the day to run around and fit them. You must be very lucky or your engineer not that busy mate?
My engineers are part of a large organisation with 50 vans on road , not mine but my friends set up. Two visits cost him dosh so results on same day make sense and we are all happy he covers all n wales and n west
Rob Foster aka centralheatking

Im plaining to start with private and may be move to estate agents, I want to this as a seconde income to start with as I am struggling very much with cost at the moment ( don’t want to get too personal but I’m going trough a complicated divorce ect..)
Divorce huh done twice there are loads of us who have been there ...and there is light at the end believe me, if you want to private msg me no problem no tears but solutionscand sound advice based on my experience with wrongly chosen females

Just so you know
Most landlords don't want to spend any
Money, they just want the piece of paper
Most estate agents will mess you about, waste your time and make you wait for payment.

Feel for ya Dan been there myself bud it does get better mate , the faults list is endless if you know your stuff it should be easy enough to identify simple faults , its the more complicated stuff you will need to work on landlords certs usually go hand in hand with a service and gas safety checks it's not just ticking boxes. Cheers kop

Just so you know
Most landlords don't want to spend any
Money, they just want the piece of paper
Most estate agents will mess you about, waste your time and make you wait for payment.
Not true ...yes to all of that above BUT it’s how you present and sell it ..I know I am a crap plumber but good at managing men an money and also a. Good salesman

but a good salesman and and an even better designer will always do better

In their world b poo baffles their tiny brains ..

So actually it doesn’t matter if they drive off to the supplier to collect parts as they are probably on £120.00 a day with no overheads and get paid no matter what. They only have to do 2 jobs to break the boss even.
The margins are a lot tighter than you might suppose. However this is his commercial business and I cannot comment any further.

Reply to Gas Landlords Certificate in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock