Search the forum,

Discuss Gas hob on Flexy !!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are not correct as per BS6172. "unless stated otherwise in MI's, a gas hob shall de connected by a rigid, fixed connection."
Apologies gbgas001. I have a hard copy of BS6172 that states the above quote. It appears to have been abbreviated. Going in bin now. I looked at my PDF copy which states the info bellow in full

!11.1.3 A gas hob shall be connected to the termination point by means of rigid pipework or, unless stated
otherwise in the manufacturer’s instructions, a flexible connector and self-sealing plug device conforming
to BS 669-1."

Cheers kirky!

think i,ll just stick to what i no,and have been taught and thats rigid with gas iso,when on gas course we were also told if cooker is gas and not going to be moved that has to be rigid aswell

so i asked how do you get to it and answer was, connect it by were kick boards are

Personally, Ive always fitted hobs with rigid copper. A cooker hose IMO is, as already stated, a lazy way to connect a hob up.

think i,ll just stick to what i no,and have been taught and thats rigid with gas iso,when on gas course we were also told if cooker is gas and not going to be moved that has to be rigid aswell

so i asked how do you get to it and answer was, connect it by were kick boards are

i'm not having a dig at you by any means, but some of the things you were taught sound dodgy to me, the statement about cookers not being moved so need to be hard piped is made up, (as i said by your trainer not you)

i realy miss the days when all cookers were rigid conections usually 4 niples 3sockets and a longscrew connector
mind you the cookers wieghed 2 cwt and wouldnt have moved far

Last edited:
carnt agree with ye there kirkgas ,the place ive done my gas is one of the best around like ive said before am not the best at explaining myself on here ,also ave worked with corgi people for yrs as well as gas safe so al stick to the way am doing it as not had any problems up to now and people are happy with me and i havnt advertised for 8 months so must be doing something right

by flexi do you mean a braided "plumbing" flexi? if so you are all correct, if by flexi you mean a bayonet fitting and hose, they are allowed unless the manufacturer expressely says must be fitted with rigid pipework, however a bayonet hose has a heat limit of about 70 degrees C so if it is behind an electric oven care needs to be taken to ensure the position of the hose isnt subjected to heat above this, however because im saying it is ok in some situations thats not to say i agree, it is laziness of the highest order, and a properly fitted copper supply means the oven fits in no problem, i used to do loads of kitchens as homers and we used to go on a friday night and strip everything out, on checking the MI for the hob and if it was allowed i would rig up the new hob onto a frame and use the cooker hose and bayonet to connect it to leave them the use of the hob overnight, temp work like that i was happy with but never agree it is a finished job,

If you are allowed to use a bayonette fitting and hose under Mi's Then it has to be run in a U shape drop and not touch the floor or pass through any kitchen furniture. Far easier to ridigid fix. About time the regs stated ridged fix only.

by flexi do you mean a braided "plumbing" flexi? if so you are all correct, if by flexi you mean a bayonet fitting and hose, they are allowed unless the manufacturer expressely says must be fitted with rigid pipework, however a bayonet hose has a heat limit of about 70 degrees C so if it is behind an electric oven care needs to be taken to ensure the position of the hose isnt subjected to heat above this, however because im saying it is ok in some situations thats not to say i agree, it is laziness of the highest order, and a properly fitted copper supply means the oven fits in no problem, i used to do loads of kitchens as homers and we used to go on a friday night and strip everything out, on checking the MI for the hob and if it was allowed i would rig up the new hob onto a frame and use the cooker hose and bayonet to connect it to leave them the use of the hob overnight, temp work like that i was happy with but never agree it is a finished job,

Agree entirely with kirkgas, there becomes common sense when oven fitted underneath.

A gas hob shall be connected to the termination point by means of rigid pipework or, unless stated
otherwise in the manufacturer’s instructions, a flexible connector and self-sealing plug device conforming​
to BS 669-1.

perfectly acceptable to connect hob with flexi as long as confrms to mi and doesnt come into contact with excessive heat from oven below and complies with regs regard use of flexible hoses.......ps have allways found kirkgas spot on with his advice

Well guys thanks for all the interesting replies, seems i started a debatable thread here. Well as it goes my gas engineer has got the job of fitting a new hob at the guys house so i will be fitting it with him tommorrow, it will be interesting to see m.i.s of new hob.
Im presuming the other gsr was refering to rubber hose and Bayonnet fitting.

i ripped the bosses kitchen out yesterday and found bayonett hose had been used to fit hob. it had been exposed to the heat from oven below aswell, havent dared tell the boss yet. hed be after blood hehe.

perfectly acceptable to connect hob with flexi as long as confrms to mi and doesnt come into contact with excessive heat from oven below and complies with regs regard use of flexible hoses.......ps have allways found kirkgas spot on with his advice

aye right, you know whats gonna happen now dont you, haha you have jinxed me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas hob on Flexy !!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi. I need a new toilet supply line but don’t know the size type of the fitting at the shut off valve. It is not 3/8 compression. It is a plastic nut about the same size as the one going into the cistern but has a different thread. Attached is a photo. Can you advise. Thanks.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock