Search the forum,

Discuss Gas hob on Flexy !!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

royston

Some one i know had a boiler fixed over christmas by a gas engineer.And to cut a long story short about wanting a new gas hob and electric oven not going back far enough, the gas man said you are allowed to fit a flexy onto gas hob to get the pipe back to wall far enough for oven to fit.
Now being in the process of completing my gas exams im sure you are not allowed to do this and it has to be rigid copper pipework to hob with a gas tap on, im i right or misunderstood ?

I went to a job that reported a gas leak last year. Fixed the leak,noticed their gas hob was connected with a flexi.Must be connected with rigid pipework. If you think about it most gas hobs are above ovens which vent heat onto the hob pipework.Not the best place for a rubber hose!

Oh dear,

only allowed rigid pipework on any fixed appliance.

Only flueless appliances which have to be moved out for fitting/maintenance etc are allowed a flexi.

Ie a stand alone cooker.

Yeah exactly the reasons i thought were correct. Im glad to see that my memory is still holding onto information !!

Your on the ball mate. Costs nothing to ask. Competant you are.

I lived in Italy for a few years, our gas hob was connected by a rubber tube with jubilee clips. The tube was gas approved and this was a standard way of fitting them.

by flexi do you mean a braided "plumbing" flexi? if so you are all correct, if by flexi you mean a bayonet fitting and hose, they are allowed unless the manufacturer expressely says must be fitted with rigid pipework, however a bayonet hose has a heat limit of about 70 degrees C so if it is behind an electric oven care needs to be taken to ensure the position of the hose isnt subjected to heat above this, however because im saying it is ok in some situations thats not to say i agree, it is laziness of the highest order, and a properly fitted copper supply means the oven fits in no problem, i used to do loads of kitchens as homers and we used to go on a friday night and strip everything out, on checking the MI for the hob and if it was allowed i would rig up the new hob onto a frame and use the cooker hose and bayonet to connect it to leave them the use of the hob overnight, temp work like that i was happy with but never agree it is a finished job,

Kirkgas is spot on... the regs state that flued appliances must have rigid pipework. not flueless.

gb-gas

Im not sure if he had been told rubber or braided as he just told me flexy. Think i will when qualified pipe hobs in rigid copper, seems safer to me.

You know what your talking about.
Free standing cookers, dual fuel, can be connected via flexable pipe with a self sealing bayonet. BS 669
Reasons for this, are to be able to clean behind the appliance and maintenance
Hobs need to be fitted with ridged pipework because they are fitted

Last edited by a moderator:
You know what your talking about.
Free standing cookers, dual fuel, can be connected via flexable pipe with a self sealing bayonet. BS 669
Reasons for this, are to be able to clean behind the appliance and maintenance
Hobs need to be fitted with ridged pipework because they are fitted

you need to be careful to seperate your opinion from the Gas Regs, and/or MI and relevant BS docs, you are wrong to make a generic statement like this, AFTER referring to specific MI you can say a specific model cannot be connected by a hose,

Noteded your comment. The above post was not my opinion ,its in the book.

Sure ive seen this reg in BS but quick google search shows this.

Moffat GAS HOB
MGH 620

Gas Connection

Connection to the gas supply should be with
either rigid or semi-rigid pipe, i.e. steel or
copper.

That Means TacPipe right? Im sure OP means Flexi hose but just thought Id throw it in

thought it was only cookers and stuff like barbaques,tumble dryers were allowed on flexis ie leisure points cos there removable everything has to be rigid pipework

it says in the viper book gas cookers p-7under hobs it is normal practice to install this type of appliance on a rigid connection unless the mi clearly stats otherwise and incoraprates an isolation valve and a means of disconection

Only a muppet would would connect a gas hob with a flexible fitting,Regs or no Regs:)

Just wondering, where a hob has been fitted with a cooker hose in good condition, would you AR or ID the hob, if you were just inspecting it.

Thanks

gfys

apologies if i am wrong, but having looked through BS6891, and BS6172 and my training books many times i stand by what i posted, but am always willing to learn from someone who knows better, so please advise where it shows in "the book" that EVERY hob MUST be rigid piped

Just wondering, where a hob has been fitted with a cooker hose in good condition, would you AR or ID the hob, if you were just inspecting it.

Thanks

it would depend on the situation, if it was behind an electric hob i would AR as i cannot confirm the surface temp of the back of the oven, or if it was behind a set of drawers and scuffed i would AR it, if it was behind a gas oven, (which is connected by a hose for ease of fitting, therefore back panel surface temp will be low) i would note it as possibly NCS (if i cannot confirm by not having hob MI) if connected by a hose inside a cupboard with nothing near it to damage it then again NCS if no MI,

Sure ive seen this reg in BS but quick google search shows this.

Moffat GAS HOB
MGH 620

Gas Connection

Connection to the gas supply should be with
either rigid or semi-rigid pipe, i.e. steel or
copper.

That Means TacPipe right? Im sure OP means Flexi hose but just thought Id throw it in

as i posted earlier you are quoting a specific MI which excludes it, we are talking whether is is a generic requirement that EVERY hob MUST be connected with rigid pipe

Thought that if the hob was installed securly in a mobile unit,ie a worktop built on frame with lockable wheels to allow to be moved for cleaning purposes,you were alloowed to fit with flexible hose,however the hose must remain visible and not odscured

Thought it was only ridged appliances that required ridged pipework and it is possible to make a hob as mobile as a cooker

Backing up kirkgas, as per BS6172:

"Unless stated otherwise in the MI's, a hob shall be connected by a rigid
connection."

As we all know or should know. The Manufacturer is the expert and if they say it can be done or must be done this way then that is the way it goes.

Only a muppet would would connect a gas hob with a flexible fitting,Regs or no Regs:)

thats not what we are debating, we are debating being allowed to do it on some hobs, but i agree and have posted that i think it is the height of laziness

Thanks
If you have access to the MI's that state MUST be a rigid connection, then it is inappropriate fittings so ID.
Otherwise would be inclined to AR to cover myself.

Thought that if the hob was installed securly in a mobile unit,ie a worktop built on frame with lockable wheels to allow to be moved for cleaning purposes,you were alloowed to fit with flexible hose,however the hose must remain visible and not odscured

Thought it was only ridged appliances that required ridged pipework and it is possible to make a hob as mobile as a cooker

a gas oven is a fixed appliance and is connected by a hose

gfys

this is a quote from "my book", which is BS6172, on fitting gas cookers
!​
[FONT=CenturySchoolbook,Bold][FONT=CenturySchoolbook,Bold]11.1.3 [/FONT][/FONT]A gas hob shall be connected to the termination point by means of rigid pipework or, unless stated
otherwise in the manufacturer’s instructions, a flexible connector and self-sealing plug device conforming

to BS 669-1.
"
the bit i have highlighted is the exclusions to using a hose and bayonet

again under the BS for pipework and for cookers and the GSIUR there is no reason why you cant fit a proper cooker hose to a hob, as long as its not subject to heat greater than 70 degrees...

MI will tell you if the back of the oven will be higher than that.

I personaly would fit it in rigid , how much easier is it to fit a hose to a built in oven too...

and as for a valve... if a boyonet or micropoint is perfect but the regs states a valve should be fitted to all appliances where practical... does behind an oven

1... become practical and
2... become a compression fitting that you cant get access to ?

gb-gas

again under the BS for pipework and for cookers and the GSIUR there is no reason why you cant fit a proper cooker hose to a hob, as long as its not subject to heat greater than 70 degrees...

MI will tell you if the back of the oven will be higher than that.

I personaly would fit it in rigid , how much easier is it to fit a hose to a built in oven too...

and as for a valve... if a boyonet or micropoint is perfect but the regs states a valve should be fitted to all appliances where practical... does behind an oven

1... become practical and
2... become a compression fitting that you cant get access to ?

gb-gas
You are not correct as per BS6172. "unless stated otherwise in MI's, a gas hob shall de connected by a rigid, fixed connection."

You are not correct as per BS6172. "unless stated otherwise in MI's, a gas hob shall de connected by a rigid, fixed connection."

you are right in what you are saying but getting ity back to front if that makes sense, the BS says you can fit with rigid or hose, UNLESS the MI demands rigid,

I know, I thought Id seen it in BS, Viper or corgi book the other night. Rememer thinking it strange why someone would use Tracpipe under fixed hob. Got a feeling it might have been on an indesit hib MIs though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas hob on Flexy !!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi. I need a new toilet supply line but don’t know the size type of the fitting at the shut off valve. It is not 3/8 compression. It is a plastic nut about the same size as the one going into the cistern but has a different thread. Attached is a photo. Can you advise. Thanks.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock