Search the forum,

Discuss gas hob cp12 check or not ????? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
since most hobs these days have very few identifing names on them i end up taking the oven out to find the label under the hob so i can fill in the formwould it be correct to just put unknown ?

Yes I dont see why not, most of my hobs go down as unknown or -

I have just passed my acs and have just registered with gas safe I would agree with the last combat two reasons above and I would love any of you that think you don't need to to a tt to call up gas safe and tell them that you do work on gas and are not doing a t t I bet you get a some one coming out to check you are safe a t t is always a must. And as for the Cp 12 question it's up to you how far you check the app install it's your head on the line and if it's not a safe install it's a chance to make some money making it safe

I have just passed my acs and have just registered with gas safe I would agree with the last combat two reasons above and I would love any of you that think you don't need to to a tt to call up gas safe and tell them that you do work on gas and are not doing a t t I bet you get a some one coming out to check you are safe a t t is always a must. And as for the Cp 12 question it's up to you how far you check the app install it's your head on the line and if it's not a safe install it's a chance to make some money making it safe

as you have just passed your ACS you should know the rules, and i'm telling you IT IS NOT MANDATORY TO DO A TT WHEN YOU DO A SERVICE FOR A PRIVATE CUSTOMER, you should read the posts on this before making such a comment, and i will bet you any amount of money you can raise to any childrens charity you care to mention that if you phone Gas safe back and tell them kirk doesn't do a TT on a service you see if they say "right we are away out to check up on that cowboy" if you want to discuss/debate whether it is good practice or not then search for all the posts we have already made on it and you will find reams of conversations on it, same as where we draw the line on LGSC, (my take on this is that i do a TT on LGSC as i need to confirm the safety of the landlords gas pipe) but there are defined situations where it is mandatory to do a TT and you should be aware of these having just proved competance, if you choose to be "safer or better" than me by doing a TT every time, you better be ready for the flak you get when you turn off someones gas who subsequently find out you doing a TT was your choice, and the subsequent invoice/hassle to them could have been avoided, (and dont think for a minute they will thank you for saving their life, you will be accused of scamming them for more money, which i dont think you would be but that is what you will be accused of) make sure you invoke the No1 gas rule CYA at all times, forget being nice and trtying to help people, these same nice people will rip your head off and mess down your neck when it suits them, and there speaks experience

Last edited by a moderator:
imho tt is an absolute must when doing any check or work for 2 reasons
1/customer cannot claim that ""it was fine before you came now find my leak"" you will have no alternative but to comply
2/how can you leave a property after cp12 or any work and be sure that there is no gas leaks regardless of whether you have caused them surely as an engineer no 1 priority is safety(and getting paid)
whats important is you are happy that you have left that property safe and if that means doing a bit extra then fine after all are we saying we want to do the least amount of checks we can get away with doesnt seem much of an advert for standards does it

without a TT a sleepless night is all you will end up with..

i still have them and i do everything by the book.

why woould you do a tightness test on a condensing service if the mi's dont require you to break into the gas line, gas rate ,flue analyser visual check of flue and terminal jobs a good un even on a back boiler strip down you only need to test joints disturbed with ldf

Last edited:
Tommy. The book doesn't require a tightness test as some people have stated but I do understand why you personally want to carry one out; I've yet to see someone state it from a specific procedure as it's not in one.

I have looked at all my manuals and an appliance service has never required an installation TT (and have trained guys for ACS, ACOPS and C&G over the last 32 years).

As regards a CP12, the CORGI manual states "Carry out a visual inspection of exposed areas of pipe work. A gas tightness (soundness) test is also recommended (but it doesn't state mandatory).

As for the hob hose, we had a Gas Safe business manager out once to confirm to the guys 'Face to face' that the check is a visual one without removing appliances; but, it he didn't say don't if you really want to.

Now obviously everyone has their own thoughts about what they would rather do for peace of mind. The guys not doing it are following the book and the ones doing the additional checks are for peace of mind or what they feel is 'Better practice' but where do you stop.

I've seen a post on the forum where is states that people carrying out a full tightness test on a service is purely a money making exercise as it is not required and they are searching for work. I think in most cases this isn't true but as soon as a customer calls Gas Safe to see if it is madatory you'd better hope you didn't tell them it was.

Anyway, i'd never criticise anyone for overdoing a job but it's generally better for some people to check the book before quoting from it.

i suppose technically you could put unknown down on your form. however if you dont see the data plate with the burner and operating pressure on then how can you pass it on the form or declare it safe to use ?
what if the data plate used to say, use on lpg only or something daft (extreme example) you need to see a data plate or positivly identify an appliance to state that it is safe to use.
oven has to come out and you need to see data plate. might as well check if it is connected with rigid or a lump of garden hose.
no data plate - how can you say the appliance is safe to use. no data plate at risk in my book.

i agree with you over the data badge.

with a cooker hose you would have to find and consult manufactures instructions to know if its correct or not.

Tend to agree with kirk on tt as you only have to find a drop, then be daft enough to isolate all the appliances to find a drop in pipework pressure to find you are either stuck there all day to find a very small leak or get thrown out by an angry custard who has never smelt any gas and accusing you of ripping them off.

I went to an old boy recently to trace a leak transco had cut him off for which his homehelp had reported. He was a ex bg mains installer, 4" plus pipes and had popped his coooker in 30 years back and an elbow in the wall behind his built in monster oven unit was leaking. After detroying his cupboard back to reach the elbow, and broken it out of the brickwork the elbow fell off, he has only soldered one end and "as it was only a small leak" he put everything together and not bothered about it. 30 years of paint jobs and new units had kept the leak small, and he said if the smell got to bad, he'd open the window, blessed nurses had just cost him money getting me in!!

The gas had dissipated in the floor and cavity vents, was very minor but there. He lived with it 30 years, hence why regs allow for drops dependant on meter sizing. Not the right attitude, I know, but we can be a little tetchy about tt of systems when the book doesnt make us do it. LLC different matter, but if all you have done is a combi service whats the need? If you have been to the property before, and tested it previously why would you stand in the rain for 4 minutes getting wet! when you are doing an annual combi/fire service

Kirkgas

Yeah I'm agreeing it isn't mandatory. Lameplumber, your one is interesting though as even if the leak was in tolerance, if you have found the pipe not soldered then you recognise there is a evidence of a risk. In this case I would say that as a minimum you have an 'At risk' situation?

If you hadn't looked for the leak and it was in tolerance, appliances attached and no smell then fair enough, but you have found a leak source?

Or that's the way I read it (shoot me down if you don't agree but don't rattle that pipe!).

Do you not need to take out the oven to see the data badge for model number and kw?

from info from received from ex bg engineer, tt not done on appliance service. Personaly I believe that onec you walk into a property you are resonsible for gas safety, TT is a basic test.
Another concern about BG serviceing is not removing boiler cover etc aslong as fga is ok, how many times have potential / current problems been spotted when looking inside boiler. Couldn't believe this when i was told didn't need to remove covers if fga ok, didn't stay on that contract for long.

landlords cert a completly diferent thing, check hob connections if owned by landlord, visual only if owned by tenant, thats how it goes in social housing (although I always check, for the sake of 5 mins and piece of mind) .
sorry rant over.

Yes have to agree with last enginnears comments you are right to make shure all gas work you work on is safe The book stops with you when you sign off on any gas work i feel could be wrong .Its a good job you dont ply your trade in ireland just before xmas did work on vokera boiler that done and dusted just happened to notice gas fire when i was packing up tools no gas terminal on flexie flue comeing off gas box and a vent with fly trap that can be closed . Then went to another job notice of Hazzord issued by gas company gas leek etc tested gas line which was GALO screwed joints low and be hold joints no gas tape on any joints Red stag used this was used about 20years ago but with hemp gas line ****ed needless because no PTFA gas tape Plus Gas box breached with big hole in it wanted new one fitted gas board in ireland said it was ok was told to ring RGI for addvice on hole in box they said if they said it was ok its ok funny thing is RGI run the GAS in ireland Just goes to show you REGS MY ARSE DONT THINK YOU WOULD GET AWAY WITH THE LIKE OF THAT SH T in UK ANY COMMENTS PLEASE DAVE 01

Hello Have just worked on a biasi boiler 15mm pipe conecting gas line to boiler off a gas fire under gassed either that or muppets that installed boiler had not got a clue Put gas anylisear on same boiler ALARM BELLS RANG MUPPUTS MESSED AROUND WITH MULITFUNCTION GAS VALVE HOW CAN CONTRACTORS IN IRELAND GET AWAY WITH THIS SH T SOME BODY WILL TAKE NOTE WHEN SOME BODY GETS KILLED IS IT ANY WONDER THEY CAN UNDER CUT PRICES AND HAVE LOADS OF WORK IT BEATS ME DAVE01

tamz no joke standard of work over here is **** shure you could get anybody on a gas course over here if you have the money but some were along the line they come un stuck have not got a clue when it comes to centeral heating DAVE01

I went to check a gas hob once on a big landlord contract of about 100 house refurbs. It showed a slight leak fortunately, but when I investigated the pipework it was all done in Conex and no piece appeared to be more that 150mm long. I just touched it and the gas poured out. The guy had done it himself. If the slight leak had not been there would I have found it without a pipework inspection?
Hey ! guys when your on bonus and people are asking "How long are you going to be?" or "Are you finished yet?" It is tempting to skip anything you think you may not have to do.what

The whole idea of the Gas Regs is safety not a series of laws to be followed. If you think it may be dangerous or could be potentially dangers, investigate don't ignore just because inspection is not in the Gas Regs. I would think that is what the HSE would say to you in a case of an accident.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh it just gets better and better worked on a baxi solo to day 15mm gas pipe from boiler to gas meter length of pipe 7m and a gas hob conected no earth conection or bonding Dont think you would get away with that in uk only in mother ireland would you see this

well i use to drive gas company mad when i found a gas leek when we changed from town gas to nat gas it would only be on a cooker injector or gas tap but i use to say if it was a water leek would you leave it so i would allways work with safety first or pay the price works for me Gas company got report 10 years ago around xmas time put it in as a not to bad a leek killed 3 people blue side off appartment block so hope this answers your question just a guess would say light switch arched good night then DAVE 01

just to mix things up a bit but if the hob isolationvalve has to be in a visable position and by the way i can see the sense in that what is the point of the new type of built in isolation hob connections that are on sale in lots of places including bes that make the removal of the oven necessary for service purposes or to simply see if a isolator is present.i personally prefer to pipe in from the side fit iso and can neatly bend pipe into hob making both clearly visably for the next person along but thats just the way i like to do it and we all have different ways of doing things

just to mix things up a bit but if the hob isolationvalve has to be in a visable position and by the way i can see the sense in that what is the point of the new type of built in isolation hob connections that are on sale in lots of places including bes that make the removal of the oven necessary for service purposes or to simply see if a isolator is present.i personally prefer to pipe in from the side fit iso and can neatly bend pipe into hob making both clearly visably for the next person along but thats just the way i like to do it and we all have different ways of doing things

:whatchutalkingabout:whatchutalkingabout

The hob isolation valve doesn't need to be in a visible position although it is preferable. Its purpose is as a service valve, not for everyday use.

Dave
A 7m 15mm pipe on a 50000 solo would be fine and a lack of meb wouldn't worry me other than the extra 5 minutes to fill out a bit paper that will go in the bin. i'd just give out the usual card and NCS

since most hobs these days have very few identifing names on them i end up taking the oven out to find the label under the hob so i can fill in the formwould it be correct to just put unknown ?

I just put "silver one" or "black one" lol just joking I do the same a lot of the time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to gas hob cp12 check or not ????? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock