Search the forum,

Discuss Gas fitter masquerading as a plumber. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Gas fitter here needing some experienced plumbers advice.

A family member has had a new kitchen + bathroom fitted. The hot water coming from her gravity tank has a very poor flow rate now at all her taps, as does the cold mains, strangely. After checking the usual suspects - stopcock, water in tank etc I then attached a water pressure gauge to the cold mains pipe going to the kitchen sink and was getting 1.5 bar. Hot water was around 0.1 bar which is pretty normal I believe for each. Yet very poor flow rate coming thru the actual taps. I done the same checks in the bathroom sink + bath and same outcome. Toilet is filling fine and electric shower pressure is fine.

Is this due to the “wrong” kind of taps fitted? The old taps were all individual full turn types. Now theyre all mixer tap 1/4 turns. The ones in the bathroom are the waterfall type. Could these new tap choices be designed for a different pressure or could the 1-4 turn type be wrong in some way?

Any advice appreciated cheers.

are they fitted on flex connections some of these are quite flow restrictiong also are there isolations valves if these are not full bore they also restrict flow

Yes onto flexi’s mate and have isolation valves, however the pressure after the isolation valve on the mains side is 1.5 bar, so I don’t think the iso valves are the issue, the pressure after each iso valve is fine as id disconnected and checked, so the only possible things are the flexi hoses and the taps themselves, the water is dramatically reduced coming out each tap for hot and cold, could it be a mixture of flexis and incorrect taps?

I think its more likely that the taps are the main issue although flexis & iso are probably contributing. Could you try scrapping the flexi and iso valve (or swap it for full bore) on one of the taps? Also have they still got the original taps to hand? If so you could swap one of the new taps for an original one, connecting it to the flexi. This would be a fairly cheap and quick way to rule things out.

Ask them where they bought them they could be off eBay. They could be some tat from vp

No ptfe or anything else present, 90% sure now it’s flexis and incorrect taps... for future reference do you guys match certain taps to specific water pressures? As in gravity water = low pressure compatible taps?

The waterfall tap I have on my bath has pre-fitted flow restrictors, I didn't take them out before fitting and I now regret it as the flow is awful.
One day I'll get the time to take the panel off and remove the buggers.
Maybe your waterfall tap has these too?

The waterfall tap I have on my bath has pre-fitted flow restrictors, I didn't take them out before fitting and I now regret it as the flow is awful.
One day I'll get the time to take the panel off and remove the buggers.
Maybe your waterfall tap has these too?

I think you are spot on mate I will check for these too!

Have you checked the filters on the outlet? Kitchen mixer will probably have a high pressure filter on its outlet which clogs up easy and some of the waterfall taps I've came across have a mesh filter in the outlet too.

Could also be the tap isn't designed for low pressure systems, if you know the tap make and model, check the min specs online

No ptfe or anything else present, 90% sure now it’s flexis and incorrect taps... for future reference do you guys match certain taps to specific water pressures? As in gravity water = low pressure compatible taps?

There is much nonsense talked about tap flow rates. There is no formal definition of low or high pressure so one manus hi is another's lo. It's literally a lottery. From what you say in your original post, NO 1/4 turn tap or single lever tap will give you even reasonable flow rates. You are better off converting 1/4 turn to traditional multiturn. Yes, it can be done.

What you are trying to achieve is flow rate i.e. how much water flows into the bowl in a set period. While pressure has an impact on that, its the dynamic pressure (i.e. when open) that is counts not the static pressure (when closed). The static will always be higher.

Flow rate, just like through a combi, is deeply affected by ANY and EVERY restriction. For a low pressure HW system like this one then you MUST use hard tap tails (can be bought seperately) and full bore iso valves. Check EVERY valve on the supply pipework cos ANY valve that is not full bore will utterly compromise flow. If you had 35mm pipework from the cylinder to the tap and a cheap iso with its 8mm hole then your pipework is effectively 8mm in dia. It's NOT the same as gas.

HTH ;)

There is much nonsense talked about tap flow rates. There is no formal definition of low or high pressure so one manus hi is another's lo. It's literally a lottery. From what you say in your original post, NO 1/4 turn tap or single lever tap will give you even reasonable flow rates. You are better off converting 1/4 turn to traditional multiturn. Yes, it can be done.

What you are trying to achieve is flow rate i.e. how much water flows into the bowl in a set period. While pressure has an impact on that, its the dynamic pressure (i.e. when open) that is counts not the static pressure (when closed). The static will always be higher.

Flow rate, just like through a combi, is deeply affected by ANY and EVERY restriction. For a low pressure HW system like this one then you MUST use hard tap tails (can be bought seperately) and full bore iso valves. Check EVERY valve on the supply pipework cos ANY valve that is not full bore will utterly compromise flow. If you had 35mm pipework from the cylinder to the tap and a cheap iso with its 8mm hole then your pipework is effectively 8mm in dia. It's NOT the same as gas.

HTH ;)

Brilliant thank you

Just an aside here, but I got caught out buying a tap in France, where they use mains pressure hot and cold water, the flow rate out of the tap on the hot side was unusable when installed in the UK.

Just that the flow rate was so bad and so different from the cold side. I assume that there must have been some form of prv, but why it affected only the hw side, I am not sure.

Reply to Gas fitter masquerading as a plumber. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I live in an apartment with a cold water tank. The cold water tank feeds the cold water tap in the sink and the bath. Recently, I refurbished my bathroom, and according to the plumber who fitted the new taps, high-pressure taps were fitted. Consequently, the water from taps is of a low volume...
Replies
Views
Hello, I have quite low flow rate for my electric shower (a piddling 5L/min), and would like some tips or advice about how to solve or find the cause. I would like a flow rate of about 12L/min. Here is my set-up: Standard gas boiler (not a combi) in the kitchen, have cold water tanks in the...
Replies
Views
Essaboy
E
I live in an apartment block where generally hot water is supplied from the communal hot water cylinder and cold water to bathrooms is supplied from cold water tanks in the loft. It is a vented system. However, in a basement flat and a ground floor flat cold water supply to bathrooms is...
Replies
Views
The Water Board have just replaced the main water supply to our property. We have a ground floor combi boiler. The central heating system for the whole house is working as normal. Hot water is working as normal on the ground floor. However, there is no hot water to the first floor bathroom. This...
Replies
Views
I have a bathroom in my first-floor loft conversion. The header tank for the vented boiler is located as high as possible but the sink tap is just above the head of water so obviously the pump cannot self-start. A momentary activation of the bath tap overcomes the problem but it’s not very...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock