Search the forum,

Discuss Gas fire mystery problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I'm a member of the public with a persistent problem with a gas fire that's been looked at a couple of times and is still not right. I'm not looking to repair it myself but just want a bit of impartial input before I spend any more on it!

Basically it's a new (less than one year old) gas fire and it's a stored gas version as we have our gas in a tank outside. The problem is that it lights up fine but it will then cut itself out anywhere between 15 mins and 2 hours later. It was first thought that a new interupter would cure it (my baby son had pulled the wires out of the other whilst the fire was off!). That didn't work. Then we had all the logs taken out and replaced and the whole thing hoovered out. That hasn't worked either. As it's new, I don't know what else could be wrong unless it has a fault caused during delivery or manufacture etc

Does anyone on here have any further ideas for what it might be before I get another engineer out or get on the phone to the manufacturer?

Thanks in advance.
Steve

best idea dont work on it it yorself as you are not gas safe certified.

As I said, not looking to repair it myself just for some opinion before I get engineers out or call the maker. Thanks.

Hi all,

I'm a member of the public with a persistent problem with a gas fire that's been looked at a couple of times and is still not right.

Basically it's a new (less than one year old) gas fire and it's a stored gas version as we have our gas in a tank outside. The problem is that it lights up fine but it will then cut itself out anywhere between 15 mins and 2 hours later. . As it's new, I don't know what else could be wrong unless it has a fault caused during delivery or manufacture etc

Does anyone on here have any further ideas for what it might be before I get another engineer out or get on the phone to the manufacturer?

Thanks in advance.
Steve

Have you a CO alarm, properly sited? Your symptoms COULD be due to the flue not clearing the products of combustion (fumes).
Who fitted the fire - have they been back? Were they GasSafe registered?
Has any returning engineers conducted a smoke flue test and spillage tests?
Why havent you yet contacted the retailer or manufacturer?

Got a CO alarm fitted when the fire was put in. All was done with gas safe engineer with smoke flue and spillage test. All tests were repeated when the engineer fitted the interrupter. I contacted the manufacturer to get the replacement interrupter and will contact them again this week. I just wanted to get some opinion here so that I would be best informed when I do. Many thanks for the replies.

Do you have a vent for fresh air ?

We have a vent to the outside through the wall. Is that what you mean?

Yes that's not been blocked / covered over it's free so you can see outside?

Sounds like oxy pilot.
Symptoms of lack of oxygen.
Gat a GOOD recommended gas safe engineer. Could be simple, but needs air source, flue etc checking out.

Yes, the vent is not covered and we can see outside. I'll mention the oxypilot over the phone tomorrow. Thanks.

Modern gas fires have a safety mechanism that senses spillage or dangerous situations and shuts the fire off. Get the flue checked and the installer back, I wouldn't use the fire until its been thoroughly checked, if the flues ok it might be a faulty part.

It's a Broseley Desire
Is it fitted into a fireplace opening, or against a flat wall? Is it a "proper" flue or precast?
Okay. That is a gas / log effect stove?
List of possible problems:
Logs/cones not positioned properly
Minimum Clearances between stove and surrounding walls not met.
Is flue lined?:
How tall is flue from appliance, and is the flue internal to to the house or in an outside wall?
Incorrect / inappropriate / incorrectly sized terminal
Do you have the one with the timer? Timer set incorrectly?

It probably has two safety devices - an oxypilot and a TTB switch (thermal switch). The oxypilot will shut the fire down if the oxygen level in the room is reduced (it doesn’t monitor CO). The TTB switch will shut the fire down if the flue gasses aren’t going up the flue correctly. The times it’s going off at could indicate a flueing issue so it’s really important to have it checked over again and not to use it in the mean time. If your flueing and ventilation check out ok it’s probably a faulty gas valve or loose connection in the thermocouple circuit.

Hi Waddycall,
Thanks for this. Those are very helpful suggestions that I will mention to the engineer when he comes. We've had the flue checked three times: once before the fire was fitted, again when it was fitted and finally when the interuptor was replaced so I don't know if it can be that. Hopefully, it's the faulty part but we'll soon know.
Cheers,
Steve

Hi Waddycall,
Thanks for this. Those are very helpful suggestions that I will mention to the engineer when he comes. We've had the flue checked three times: once before the fire was fitted, again when it was fitted and finally when the interuptor was replaced so I don't know if it can be that. Hopefully, it's the faulty part but we'll soon know.
Cheers,
Steve
It could also be a partially blocked pilot (if the fire has one that is).
Obviously this can only be dealt with by a Gas Safe registered person with the Gas fire ticket!!
You already know that but I felt like I should say it anyway.

I know the other guys are thinking flue-ventilation problem , But just a thought, a shot in the dark, has the jets been checked to make sure they are LPG ?

It probably has two safety devices - an oxypilot and a TTB switch (thermal switch). The oxypilot will shut the fire down if the oxygen level in the room is reduced (it doesn’t monitor CO). The TTB switch will shut the fire down if the flue gasses aren’t going up the flue correctly. The times it’s going off at could indicate a flueing issue so it’s really important to have it checked over again and not to use it in the mean time. If your flueing and ventilation check out ok it’s probably a faulty gas valve or loose connection in the thermocouple circuit.

TBH, I have never seen a fire with both an Oxy pilot AND a TTB. This fire has a TTB. Otherwise I agree.

If NG injectors are fitted,there would be a very disappointing flame picture. But I have learnt over the years that anything is possible :)

OP: I asked if the fire is built into an opening or against a flat wall/chimney breast. Any chance of a picture?

Keep an eye out for situations when it misbehaves ..more clues .
Any other gas / ethanol gel devices operating in area, at same time it happens .
What are outdoors wind conditions ... Still / gusty ..blowing steady + direction.
( Occupants of a wooden hut , all started yawning 20 mins after door was closed, unless window was left open a crack !)

Hi all,

I'm a member of the public with a persistent problem with a gas fire that's been looked at a couple of times and is still not right. I'm not looking to repair it myself but just want a bit of impartial input before I spend any more on it!

Basically it's a new (less than one year old) gas fire and it's a stored gas version as we have our gas in a tank outside. The problem is that it lights up fine but it will then cut itself out anywhere between 15 mins and 2 hours later. It was first thought that a new interupter would cure it (my baby son had pulled the wires out of the other whilst the fire was off!). That didn't work. Then we had all the logs taken out and replaced and the whole thing hoovered out. That hasn't worked either. As it's new, I don't know what else could be wrong unless it has a fault caused during delivery or manufacture etc

Thanks in advance.
Steve

Last edited:
Why is this thread still open and being replied to
He's (by his own admission) not gas safe, so why are we helping a non GSR break the law and possibly put his and his families life in danger
FFS mods, get your act together
Are post counts and traffic more important than safety???

Why is this thread still open and being replied to
He's (by his own admission) not gas safe, so why are we helping a non GSR break the law and possibly put his and his families life in danger
FFS mods, get your act together
Are post counts and traffic more important than safety???

sorry missed this one

closed

@jonnyswamp tag me in any others / use the report button

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas fire mystery problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock