Search the forum,

Discuss Gas fire at risk situation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

hammers4spanner

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
I installed gas fire few months ago and it ended up going faulty so the customer put a warranty claim in.
Engineer came out and repaired fire then at risked it shut it down.
Said it could topple out of fire place due to movement which is impossible as it was difficult to fit and the cables were tight when I left.
This I remember as I recall trying to move it as dont fit that many fires. Obviously customers gone nuts wants to report to gas safe etc etc.

However I'm sure it wasnt loose when I fitted it so my thoughts are the engineer has done something then thought sod it just at risk it. Not been back yet but wonder if these things can become loose all sounds a bit odd tbh

Sounds odd. There are normally four fixing points?
One on each side would need to come loose to allow the fire to fall forward. Unless the cables have slipped?
It must be something more than that though or he would just re-tighten things you would expect?

Sounds odd. There are normally four fixing points?
One on each side would need to come loose to allow the fire to fall forward. Unless the cables have slipped?
It must be something more than that though or he would just re-tighten things you would expect?

I did wonder if fixing point came out somehow, but if not why not just tighten cable . Caused a right pile of aggro here.

I installed gas fire few months ago and it ended up going faulty so the customer put a warranty claim in.
Engineer came out and repaired fire then at risked it shut it down.
Said it could topple out of fire place due to movement which is impossible as it was difficult to fit and the cables were tight when I left.
This I remember as I recall trying to move it as dont fit that many fires. Obviously customers gone nuts wants to report to gas safe etc etc.

However I'm sure it wasnt loose when I fitted it so my thoughts are the engineer has done something then thought sod it just at risk it. Not been back yet but wonder if these things can become loose all sounds a bit odd tbh

What wall plugs did you use?

normally the blue ones then

i hate them wire fixing never feel like i can get them solid enough

I have seen plastic mugs used, which have melted or disfigured, allowing the cables to slip or fall off. Typically, I set fires are supplied with wooden/fibre plugs

Think these were grey but that could of been something else. Off their on Monday to face the wrath of the customer.

Actually looking to sack this trade off now cant be arsed with customers behaviour .

If the manufacturer's repaired the fire then after the repair was done and before the fire is put back into service he has to make sure it is safe. that means the reg 26.9 (****) so they should have removed the fire to do a visual on the flue and smoke test. So in my opinion they should have secured the fire when they put it back. If it was loose when they got there then fair enough don't touch it & AR, but if they did any work on it then I would argue it is their responsibility after any gas work was done to it.

Think these were grey but that could of been something else. Off their on Monday to face the wrath of the customer.

Actually looking to sack this trade off now cant be arsed with customers behaviour .
Know how you feel. Have seriously considered getting in to tiling full time as they are ALWAYS busy. Up my way they want 25-30 quid per m2 and that's me giving them the job, preparing the walls and floor as they seem not able or willing to do anything other than tile. Most of the tilers I have used get in and out in a day grossing on average about 650-750 for the average size of bathroom I mostly work on. There is no chance I could charge myself out at 650 per day.

Reply to Gas fire at risk situation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock