Search the forum,

Discuss Gas Engineers Toolbox in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Hardy1

Hi there to all the Gas Safe Engineers (and of course everyone else), and to all you cowboys go:33:, i was just thinking of starting this thread, as knowing "Whats in your toolbox"(Gas Safe Engineers). List Please?, many thanks Hardy1

2 adjustable 2 pumps , tpi multimeter , parat case and loads of other stuff, leatherman ultimate tt , no tool case required sometimes using that

which box? the service box, the break down box, the install box, or the i forgot i even had that any more bucket?

I have long pz2 screwdriver, flat head screwdrivers, electrical screwdrivers, multimeter, screwdriver/ratchet set, ratchet and socket set, 2x pump pliers, footprints, shifters big and small, electrical pliers, long nosed pliers, manometer, stanley knife, warning pads/paperwork, smoke pellets, matches, gas tape, gas ptfe tap, closure plate tape, insulation tape, measure, big and wee levels, claw hammer/big hammer, bolsters, wood chisels, brick trowels.

that pretty much covers all my work, prob missed out some stuff but you get the picture

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess this has been done before.

In my tray (I have a multitude of other tool boxes in the van, but this tray covers most eventualities) I have....

Screwdrivers - flat and phillips, two 8" wide jaw bhaco adjustable spanners, two sets of Rothy grips, electrical side cutters, long nose pliers, cable strippers, a claw hammer, a stanely knife, a tap measure, ptfe, jointing compound, a remover tool for polyplumb joints, pipe slices 15/22, a magnetic pick up tool, a pencil, a rad wrench, a neon tester, a boat level, a 15/22mm speedfit stop end, formers for the bender, a pump tool, a set of allen keys (metric only) and a wratcheting screwdriver with a tin of various heads including a small set of hex sockets.

Probably missed something out, but that is my bread and butter tray. I will always need those tools at the least. Things like U guage, smoke pellets, soldering gear etc might all stay in the van on some days, but that tray gets taken out on every single job.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess this has been done before.

In my tray (I have a multitude of other tool boxes in the van, but this tray covers most eventualities) I have....

Screwdrivers - flat and phillips, two 8" wide jaw bhaco adjustable spanners, two sets of Rothy grips, electrical side cutters, long nose pliers, cable strippers, a claw hammer, a stanely knife, a tap measure, ptfe, jointing compound, a remover tool for polyplumb joints, pipe slices 15/22, a magnetic pick up tool, a pencil, a rad wrench, a neon tester, a boat level, a 15/22mm speedfit stop end, formers for the bender, a pump tool, a set of allen keys (metric only) and a wratcheting screwdriver with a tin of various heads including a small set of hex sockets.

Probably missed something out, but that is my bread and butter tray. I will always need those tools at the least. Things like U guage, smoke pellets, soldering gear etc might all stay in the van on some days, but that tray gets taken out on every single job.
Why two 8" adjustable spanners ?

Nah ... just take my shoes off if they are fussy. Had one tonight ... running around in my pink socks.

On the flip side, there have been times where I have insisted on boot covers to protect MY shoes.

Nah ... just take my shoes off if they are fussy. Had one tonight ... running around in my pink socks.

On the flip side, there have been times where I have insisted on boot covers to protect MY shoes.
we all get those jobs wipe your feet on the way out

blue cover shoes are great, especially when you put them on your feet before they even get the chance to tell you to take your boots off

blue cover shoes are great, especially when you put them on your feet before they even get the chance to tell you to take your boots off
Blue coloured shoes are not great down parkhead way, youill end up way one of your boots up your jacksay.

had an assessor for the HA been doing some LLs out with me other week.
2nd call of the day, wipe your feet on way out job. access to casing screws on linea he concealed by boxing around pipes, starts to remove boxing and assesor goes what you doing ? i say gas rate only? he replies yes and lets gtf out of here lol TT , CA , GR , FFD check, visual on visable pipe work + flue & tested CO alarm and smokies filled out report and out door in 20mins, ahhh fresh air .

some good smelling deodrant just in case you bump into one of the "cough" "cough" ye knw

Why two 8" adjustable spanners ?

Because I do compression joints up with two spanners, and don't use grips like a lot of other plumbers. Its the way I was taught and I'll never change. Personally think its better...

Because I do compression joints up with two spanners, and don't use grips like a lot of other plumbers. Its the way I was taught and I'll never change. Personally think its better...
think i would go with 6" & 10" shifters . 10" gives more leverage & 6" gets into tighter spaces. Each to there own i guess.

I've used the 8" for about the last 6 years, and theres no way I would change now! I've said it before, I am so used to them, its like picking up a knife and fork!

I have shifters of all sizes in the van, 6, 8, 10, and 12's. I never use them. I lie. I sometimes use them to seperate the auger on my diamond core cutter! By setting them on the floor and stamping on them!!

I have an 8 inch bacho and a smaller snap on adjustable which i rarely use ,I saw a guy the other day and he had 5 or 6 bacho adjustables , I have never seen so many before

I have four 8" Bhacos....two old ones, which I keep as spare as in all honesty, they're fine....I just bought new as they were on special in Screw Fix.

I love em. Best spanners by far. I could never go back to my old monuments/Rigids and the like.

i think bahco & snap on are same company both quality stuff. 8" shifter is good size but sometimes you need more leverage or shorter spanner for access thats why i prefer 6" & 10"

Yeah, true. I have em in the van incase I need em. But for my day to day stuff, I just stick to as above.

Snap on stuff is very expensive. Even more than Bhaco. Don't personally own any of it, but I know its good quality.

Biggest waste of money (spanner wise) I bought....a Stanely, Fatmax, wratcheting adjustable spanner. 10". Cost me £18.

Never once used the thing. Seems like too much bother. The idea was for rad valves that don't go in with a spud key. The ones with a square part to the shaft of the union. I just do them up with the standard shifter!!

(a spud key is also in my tray, just remembered).

Yes its ok ,got a few years ago off e bay , best purchase I ever made was at a boot fair i saw an 18 inch cresent adjustable which is a USA make the muts nuts for a quid , superb tool

I like to keep a bahco 10" wide jaw shifter in my everyday toolbox , it fits 1" nuts a treat without having to go out to van. Have i not convinced you yet ?

years ago i bought a crescent shifter with a sliding lever for adjusting instesd of a wheel . hopeless thing, never stayed where you set it too.

Going from memory ( i'm only in it 50 times a day) this is what i have in my main box.

Screwdrivers, every size and type i could every need about 15 - 20 of them.
Pipeslices 15, 22 and 28mm (2 x 15 and 2 x 22mm)
Pipecutters, Rigid up to 42mm
Estwing
Feathersplitter
Woodchisels, 1/4" 1/2" 3/4" 1" 1 1/4"
Footprints, 9" and 12"
Knipex Alligators 180mm, 2 x 250mm, 1 x 300mm
Knipex Cobra's 250mm
Knipex smooth jaw grips 250mm.
Bacho adjustables 4" and 8"
4lb club hammer
Cold chisels, 9" 12" and 18"
Multimeter
Test lamp
Socket tester
Knipex pliars, 8" side cut, 4" long nose and wire strippers.
Another old pair of pliars i've had for 20 years!
Circlip pliars
Allen keys, 2 sets
T Bar allen key
Bending springs 8, 10 and 15mm
15 and 22mm guides
Stanley knife and a box of blades.
Half round file and a rasp.
A couple of short rsed drifts.
A load of speed bits in various sizes.
A load of masonary bits 5mm - 25mm
Some metal drills.
A pad saw
A set of metric spanners
A smoke match holder.
2 junior hacksaws, 1 cut back for tight working.
The usual half cwt of screws nuts rings bolts washers and fittings and a few more things i've missed.

There is another box in the van with stuff i don't use much and about another 6 boxes in the garage.

I never carry my own box :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas Engineers Toolbox in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock