Search the forum,

Discuss Gas engineers/plumbers scope of work in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Matt0029

Gas Engineer
I had been a plumbers for quiet a few years. I then got my gas by doing my nvq level 3. I just wondered how many gas engineers that do landlord service checks etc... Also fit bathrooms and the like. I ask as I am thinking of adding more appliances to my ticket so landlord certificates could be part of my work.

And you do all general plumbing work too?
Not bathrooms
I will do plumbing jobs though. It just becomes more hassle than it’s worth if the tenant is only available Sunday evening between 7 & 7.15 pm in 4 weeks time, or you have to collect & return the keys

What appliances are you looking at adding?
Cookers. I have boilers, water heaters, unvented and lpg currently on my ticket. I got this through doing nvq level in plumbing. I'm on my firms registration but would be paying for the course myself as they are funny about paying people through courses presently after a few have left after. Anyone heard of someone paying to add an appliance when in a firms registration?

Cookers. I have boilers, water heaters, unvented and lpg currently on my ticket. I got this through doing nvq level in plumbing. I'm on my firms registration but would be paying for the course myself as they are funny about paying people through courses presently after a few have left after. Anyone heard of someone paying to add an appliance when in a firms registration?
To be honest, most rentals I come accross the tenants own the cookers so wouldn't need testing anyway. If you work for someone else, are landlord checks something they want to get into or are you thinking for yourself in future. As for them paying, why not offer a contract where you can't leave them for another year or something.

Why on earth would you pay out your money to aid the company? Do you have your own registration, or do you just do work for the firm?
The normal way of things would be for the firm to pay, but to add a rider for you to agree to pay a proportion of the fees if you left before a certain time.
As commented by Craig, most LL's do not supply the cooker, although newer properties may have built in cookers and hobs, normally owned by the LL. Your firm, to try the market could do LLGSR's but only for those without LL owned cookers. It may be a market that they are not interested in, as they can be harder to manage.

I agree I am starting to think I am paying to aid the company. We manily do new builds. Where hobs get fitted. I am wanting to expand my knowledge really. I don't have my own registeration no.

Not bathrooms
I will do plumbing jobs though. It just becomes more hassle than it’s worth if the tenant is only available Sunday evening between 7 & 7.15 pm in 4 weeks time, or you have to collect & return the keys

Oh you want a Sunday call? Not a problem sir/madam that will be £200 payable up front how would you like to pay?

What I dont pay the landlord pays

The landlord pays the normal rate for me to come out between 8-16:30 Monday-Friday if you want me to come out out of those times you have to pay.

Ok then collect keys.

For landlords checks you want a minimum of boilers cookers and fires. You may have a few estates with warm air units so may want that as well.

I disagree that most cookers are owned by the tenants as a large portion of houses have built in jobs etc.

Oh you want a Sunday call? Not a problem sir/madam that will be £200 payable up front how would you like to pay?

What I dont pay the landlord pays

The landlord pays the normal rate for me to come out between 8-16:30 Monday-Friday if you want me to come out out of those times you have to pay.

Ok then collect keys.
Haha, I don't know why alot of people have issues with leaving us keys. I've been in some very nice houses where I have been left a key with no concern from the owner at all. But then I've been in some real hell holes where you wouldn't even accept a drink, yet the customer insists on been there incase you steal something :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd speak to your boss and ask them to put you through it. Offer them a contract where you agree to pay x amount back if you leave within a certain time period. I thinks it's only around £500 for your cookers, so a years contract should cover it. If your installing them on new builds you should have them anyway, or start refusing to fit them until you have they get you your quals.

I agree I am starting to think I am paying to aid the company. We manily do new builds. Where hobs get fitted. I am wanting to expand my knowledge really. I don't have my own registeration no.
You shouldn’t be fitting hobs with out the ‘cooker’ element.
I would let someone know you won’t be doing any more until they add it to your ticket.

I have known quite a few people refuse to allow the company to pay for them to do courses as they are tied in for 2/3 years otherwise they have to pay the money back. A few of them have stayed working for then for the full 5 years and then paid again to do it. I think they are idiots.

Have a word with your boss and say you would be happy to sign a contract to say you will pay back the full amount if you leave within a certain time going down to not paying anything if you leave after 3 years.

I have known quite a few people refuse to allow the company to pay for them to do courses as they are tied in for 2/3 years otherwise they have to pay the money back. A few of them have stayed working for then for the full 5 years and then paid again to do it. I think they are idiots.

Have a word with your boss and say you would be happy to sign a contract to say you will pay back the full amount if you leave within a certain time going down to not paying anything if you leave after 3 years.
3 years just for the cooker element? That's mad. I signed a 3 year deal for the acs training, ccn1 or whatever it is boilers/water heaters and cookers. Cost £3.6k so the 3 years is justifiable.

3 years just for the cooker element? That's mad. I signed a 3 year deal for the acs training, ccn1 or whatever it is boilers/water heaters and cookers. Cost £3.6k so the 3 years is justifiable.

It's fairly standard to be fair and it's not about the money kind of thing. What's cookers £200? Tops if you leave withington the first year pay £200 back 2nd year £100 3rd year £50.

It's fairly standard to be fair and it's not about the money kind of thing. What's cookers £200? Tops if you leave withington the first year pay £200 back 2nd year £100 3rd year £50.
I think the cooker element for me was close to an extra £500. My boss offered me the 3 years for all of it reducing what id owe by £1k per year if I left early with the full balance cleared if I left after 3.

I think the cooker element for me was close to an extra £500. My boss offered me the 3 years for all of it reducing what id owe by £1k per year if I left early with the full balance cleared if I left after 3.

Then you were ripped off massively. I paid £90 to resit my gas fires 3/4 months ago.

It wasn't a resit, it was a first time qual, I did think it was steep though. Not to bother though as it wasn't me who paid.

Unless your doing training then I dont think the cost of the exam is much different and my local is £90 per day training.

What some bosses do is charge for the time off that you have to do the course which they are not allowed to do.

Reply to Gas engineers/plumbers scope of work in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock