Search the forum,

Discuss Gas Engineering Advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
welcome to the forum btw

the first thing i would do is work out if its finacially viable no point chucking money away on training if you wont get a steady income at the end of it

Have you had any experience in this trade or any others?

My advice would be to try and get in with someone early on, the more experience the better. Also, a3 month placement won't nearly prepare you enough. That's what the guys on here are trying to say.

As for tools this has been done hundreds of times, try the search function.

Exactly. Get your placement first. You'll realise then that tis isn't a hop in and out type of job.

You'll need hand tools, test equipment, van, access equipment.

You'll need PLI, registered body membership, ongoing training.

You need to be earning enough to cover the costs of the above, plus recalibration, plus future costs before you can start thinking about making a living.

you need to keep yourself updated with the current legislations in force plus keep abreast with new boiler technologies.

And still go out and find work.

go get your placement - good luck with that btw! - Watch your mentor closely.

Then perhaps you'll see how rosy your glasses are tinted!

one small point to note that in running my small firm, I'll be out on the job during normal working hours and then spend the evening doing accounts, working out quotes, planning the next days routine etc etc, as well as mentoring on this forum for a bit a relaxation, but most of all always having my phone buzzing most evenings from iriots who dont understand about normal working hours and weekends are mostly office based, so you will never escape it but just be doing twice as many hours to achieve less than most advertising owners make

one small point to note that in running my small firm, I'll be out on the job during normal working hours and then spend the evening doing accounts, working out quotes, planning the next days routine etc etc, as well as mentoring on this forum for a bit a relaxation, but most of all always having my phone buzzing most evenings from iriots who dont understand about normal working hours and weekends are mostly office based, so you will never escape it but just be doing twice as many hours to achieve less than most advertising owners make

addictive tho aint it

thanks guys now this is the sort of information that i've come on here for. Take it we've got the pleasantries out of the way know then :)

LMAO

being a plumbing and heating engineer isnt a part time job so good luck on that.

i want it to be my full time job, but im not naive to think that that i'm going to have continuous work straight away, as that's only going to come with hard work, time and experience

I'll give it that you're capable of taking it on the chin but you see what we're trying to say?

I'll give it that you're capable of taking it on the chin but you see what we're trying to say?

i do see what your trying to say but i've got to start somewhere, yes i agree it's not going to be as easy as i hoped but like i said before, if it was easy everyone would be doing it an there not are they

i do see what your trying to say but i've got to start somewhere, yes i agree it's not going to be as easy as i hoped but like i said before, if it was easy everyone would be doing it an there not are they

doesnt seem tobe the case judging from some of the posts on here, but if you have a spare £30 k crack on and good luck to you and your customers.

As long as you understand that.

Don't worry about rushing out to buy every tool you'll need just yet just in case it does fall through.

Get yourself a decent set of insulated screwdrivers, a couple of adjustable spanners - 8" and 6", a set of footprints, a set of pump grips, a multimeter and a small socket set - I'd suggest this set from Halfords - Halfords | Halfords 30 piece Socket Set.

That's enough to get you going for the time being.

Don't worry about rushing out to buy every tool you'll need just yet just in case it does fall through.

Get yourself a decent set of insulated screwdrivers, a couple of adjustable spanners - 8" and 6", a set of footprints, a set of pump grips, a multimeter and a small socket set - I'd suggest this set from Halfords - Halfords | Halfords 30 piece Socket Set.

Thanks, i've already got most of those tools anyway in the garage that i use to fix cars, so its probably just the expensive stuff that i would need to get like flue gas analyser and other things people have suggested but no rush for that stuff just yet.

Eeee well, i feel like giving some advice! The guys here can back me up on knowing my stuff on starting out..... Croppie can laugh and snigger at that!

Personally i have just finished a three year apprenticeship, i have had great mentors all the way, plenty and broad experience across almost all gas and plumbing aspects and areas.
College and a three month placement is NOWHERE near enough and especially if you intend to be doing gas works and boiler repairs.
reality is you need to shadow a gas safe engineer for at least 6 months to know how to be safe and deal with situations. On top of that you have to become competent on a broad range of tasks. You can't choose to just do just gas or you will never get customers.

The road is alot longer than you realise and at the end of it you can't be part time. To be part time is when you've developed a large customer base and can decide which specific tasks you do. Starting out you have to be available all the time.

Just don't get an analyser till you can guarantee you're using it 4 days out of 7. The cells inside degrade in use or not. Hire another engineers.

I wish you all the luck in the world!

i will solve your problem for 7k you can have van, tools and all my stock including a flusher a core drill and a hoover enough fittings to plumb 3 houses three piece ladder various testers stilsons steps

If it was easy then everyone would be doing it wouldn't they[/QUOTE said:
i afraid they all ready are builders do there own plumbing and heating and everyones a builder

To do this job you also need to be good at dealing with stress, when I've had some helpers out giving me a hand a few of them have wondered why we are not stressed out our brains(I work in a 2 man team)we just laugh it off and say the money makes it worthwhile, as we do price work. You can make good money in this trade if your prepared to put the work in but you also need to be good at your job, and to be good at it you need experience. I have 3 years post apprenticeship experience, so 7 all in, and I can assure you during my apprenticeship I made some expensive mistakes luckily not out of my own pocket as the company paid for that! Nothing quite like pinging a £300 toilet pan when screwing it to the floor haha, and it wasn't just the once either.

We currently have 2 recently finished fast trackers working for us in the company, 2 of them go and do a boiler change between them a day which takes them all day, I work in a 2 man team and we do 2 boiler swaps a day and are finished before them, see the difference? also their efforts at surveys are laughable, when I get their survey sheets alot of the times they have missed obvious things that cost me time in going to the merchants, in effect costing me money! .....but on paper, they are gas engineers, the same as me.

I'm just back from australia where they require everyone to do mandatory apprenticeships to gain their plumbing license and gas license, none of these short courses etc etc, they take our trade seriously and know that it is a skilled trade not just a case of slapping some fittings together, should be mandatory here aswell tbh!!

The job is easy in theory, hard in practice. Long hours when self employed and not for the crazy money your hear about. There are only so many hours in a day and there is alot to do. You can spend what you like on tools and equipment, but keep it simple at the beginning hand tools, impact driver, drill, sds. Hire what ever else you need.

BTW you need a fga it is a must.

Last edited:
I did it fast track and it seems to be going alright for me. I agree though 3 months work placement wont be enough, I spent a couple of years shadowing my mentor. Im still coming across things I need to phone him about (mostly plumbing I think ive got the gas cracked, well at least as much as him anyway). Its not about knowing it all, you need to know where to find the answers and how to apply common sense to a given situation. If you want it enough go for it. There will always be those who dont like the idea of fast track plumbers and gas engineers and tbh they have probably got a valid point. Through hard work and determination we may win a few over though ;-)

i'm not doing a 3 month course, not once have i said i have croppie so don't know where you got that from. It's going to take me over a year to do and then i go on a work placement which they recommend at least 3 months. Don't understand why some people seem so negative about new people coming into the industry, it's not rocket science

Good luck with it mate.

I have several years plumbing and building experience so already had most of the tools. Did a fast track gas course, CCN1 and appliances, Lpg, G3 and part L bought an analyser registered with gas safe for first time and got some insurance.

I reckon I have spent £5,000 on it so far, why? because I kept getting regular gas work that needed to be done as part of my other jobs. I also maintain several rental properties and they need a landlord cert every year and boilers maintaining etc.

Go for it, it's not rocket science but there is a lot to learn on the gas.

Can anyone please tell me what jig to use for a viessmann vitodens 100-W type BPYA 35kw combi ???. URGENT. I don't usually use jigs and doing my own boiler and bought the above boiler from Plumbase, and they gave me a jig that says on it's hanging instructions Vitodens 100-W, WH1B. The fittings to hang the boiler are in a diffrent place. Anyone help with some much needed advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
best look on their website as gas related issues arent discussed on open forum and you seem to be wanting gas related advice, u need 9 more threads to get the right ticks Im afraid.

Hi there 'Lame Plumber', many thanks for the reply. Been in the Viessmann website before coming on here. Could not find what I need to know on there. Tried ringing the helpline, but no reply at all. Stuck.

And Lucas gas pliers best pliers you'll ever have

I lost mine a few year ago, found them again this week clearing an old tool bag out!

Im quite lucky I've got 3 pairs, it's like loosing A leg without them :hurray:
them and little and large footprints wheel type

Are you mad? What's your long term goal? To be 50 and crawling underfloors? You have an advertising company? Can you sell things. To public? If yes why don't you build a business and seek out and employ competent fitters? Use the 3 years to build your knowledge and ability to survey and sell. I wish I hadn't bothered with the practical part. Each fitter earns £500 for the company on every install on every day they are there!

Some cards in , some apprentices, some CIs one ltd sole trader invoices weekly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas Engineering Advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock