Search the forum,

Discuss Gas Engineering Advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gileros

Hi, i'm currently doing a gas and plumbing engineering course, now i believe it is going to cost me a bit of money to kit a van out with all the tools, equipment and bit and bobs that i would possible need. If someone has got the time to reply and could kindly give me a list of everything that i would possibly need then this would be much appreciated as i want to start buying the stuff now bit by bit. Thanks

Welcome along. You'll certainly need a couple of spanners and some initiative.

The you can buy the spanners anywhere, as for the initiative. Well have a go on the search button and you'll find this has been covered before.

Good luck.

The person that employs you and provides your van and stock will not only guide you thro' your first few years whilst you gain experience but whilst employed you will be able to work out what stock as self employed you will eventually need.

Don't tell me you intend to miss out the employed bit?

Thanks for the reply guys, yes i am missing out the 'employed bit' i'm going to be on a work placement for about 3 months before i go by myself. I'm not naive to think it's all going to be plain sailing as I understand it's going to be hard, experience only comes with time but i'm confident enough that i will reap the rewards at some point. I'm fortunate to have another income that will keep me going whilst i get this off the ground.

For what reason would i be selling up? I'f the company doesn't make any money for how ever long it takes to be self sufficient then so be it, my other business provides with enough income to live on. I understand that this is probably your main bread an butter, but that wont be the case for me.

Sweeping Brush (hard and soft)
Dustpan and brush (metal dustpan)
Bucket and sponge
Kettle
Cups
T spoons
Tetley or Yorkshire T bags
Bag o sugar
Jar of coffee.

You should be able to grasp all those after your 3 months work experience.

For what reason would i be selling up? I'f the company doesn't make any money for how ever long it takes to be self sufficient then so be it, my other business provides with enough income to live on. I understand that this is probably your main bread an butter, but that wont be the case for me.

You dont get it do you.

Well if it took you that long to learn those things Simon then don't worry mate, at least you got there in the end, i understand that not everyone is the brightest pick of the bunch

Well if it took you that long to learn those things Simon then don't worry mate, at least you got there in the end, i understand that not everyone is the brightest pick of the bunch

So I take it your other income isn't coming in from your comedy skills :)

Hammers4spanners i hope you got your use out of it, a fool and his money is always parted

No. Some of us weren't taken in by the plumber/gas engineer in 3 months scam.

best thing you can do is treat it like a visit to your London tailor, you pop in, get measured up (ie tell them your plumbing and gas soon and oil next year) book another visit and pick up the finished article. So pop along to Williams and chat to Ray, give him a day or so and he will set you up with all you need, dont forget a decent selection of spares ie pcbs and fans that are great to carry for immediate use.

i'm not doing a 3 month course, not once have i said i have croppie so don't know where you got that from. It's going to take me over a year to do and then i go on a work placement which they recommend at least 3 months. Don't understand why some people seem so negative about new people coming into the industry, it's not rocket science

i'm not doing a 3 month course, not once have i said i have croppie so don't know where you got that from. It's going to take me over a year to do and then i go on a work placement which they recommend at least 3 months. Don't understand why some people seem so negative about new people coming into the industry, it's not rocket science

Where have I read this before? I'm not time served either but I sure as hell wish I had been. Your in for a huge wake up call. Make sure you have a good supply of 15 & 22mm stop ends and a pardon the pun water tight public liability insurance !!

Plumbing theory - get water from A to B without any leaks. Easy!

Plumbing reality - no access, seized joints, leaks for no reason. Smelly, dirty, unsociable. And that's a good day!

As I say, how about an intro?!

I believe you might have been better off doing your course, and 3 months mentoring before popping on here and asking what tools youll be needing, get some experience behind you and see if you actually make it first then come on down and start again, by then Supper Plumber will be able to offer a wealth of experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not rocket science but I think somebody's gonna come down to earth with a bang!

why am i being offensive, i went on this forum to get advice from you guys but people are just jumping on my back. Not once have i said it's going to be easy. Think a lot of people forget that they started of at the beginning themselves at some point

Resolute, i no it's going to be plain sailing. I'm 30 years old, now this is where people are going to jump on back back even more, i've got my own advertising company but fed up of being in an office everyday, i'm more of a hands on person and always have been so decided to go down this route

Resolute, i no it's going to be plain sailing. I'm 30 years old, now this is where people are going to jump on back back even more, i've got my own advertising company but fed up of being in an office everyday, i'm more of a hands on person and always have been so decided to go down this route

Have you had any experience in this trade or any others?

My advice would be to try and get in with someone early on, the more experience the better. Also, a3 month placement won't nearly prepare you enough. That's what the guys on here are trying to say.

As for tools this has been done hundreds of times, try the search function.

get a hobby, car restoration or something then!

Lame Plumber, appreciate your advice but everyone deals with situations in different ways, if you would have waited then fair enough but i don't agree with that, if anything it's only going to be beneficial to me to ask the questions now

Like i said Lame Plumber, i don't want to be going to the office everyday

Like i said Lame Plumber, i don't want to be going to the office everyday

So what skills do you currently have that makes you think you might make a reasonable plumber and in the long term a safe gas technician?

i've only done bits of plumbing, joinery and elec work. i do know a bit already but only the basics, i no it's not going to be a walk in the park, it's the gas side rather than plumbing to be fair. The reason why i want to start of by myself is because i'm a business owner already so going to work for someone wasn't what i wanted to do, but yes i do take people's advice onboard. If it was easy then everyone would be doing it wouldn't they

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas Engineering Advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock