Search the forum,

Discuss Gas cooker/Hob pressure testing and fitting questions. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

cmarkr

Gas Engineer
Hi all, relatively new to the gas industry about a year and normally just do fires and boilers.

The only reason i have the cookers ticket is for lgsc's. I am fitting my first freestanding cooker tomorrow and i have a few questions which may sound dumb.

1. Is changing all the injectors (converting NG to LPG)much the same as a gas fire/old boiler injector take them all out and just do them back up tight with no ptfe or compound on?

2. This particular cooker has some strange 1/2" male on it rather than the traditional female thread. Can i just use one of these (https://www.bes.co.uk/1-2in-equal-socket-female-x-female-malleable-iron-galvanised-8089) with ptfe both sides, just seems a bit rubbish?

3. When testing working pressure on NG i normally have the three or four largest rings burning with the manometer hose held onto the smallest injector with the gas tap pushed in which should give me my working pressure. I assume i'm doing this bit right as that's all i ever saw during my apprenticeship.

But when doing the same with the last two LPG cookers i've lgsc the pressure dosn't rise correctly and when i remove the manometer hose a flame flys out of the small injector when removing the hose as if its ignited in the metal connecting pipe and back fed through that injector taking my arm hair off.... Have i just been really unlucky or am i doing something completely wrong here and being a muppet?

4. How much are GSRI like you fellow gentleman are actually giving a massive concern about gas pressures on cookers. As it seems every one i ever go to is under-gased like as if its general conception to just bang it in regardless as long as the flame pictures correct its good enough...??

Thanks in advance

is it a loose nut ?

Bes 23257

Yeah popped in my local city plumbing and they had one of them its exactly what i used.... Thanks. All in and fitted.

Questions 1 & 2 answered but could do with some opinions on 3 &4.

Tried checking working pressure same way i described and the same thing happened had a flame fly out again, if anyone else could chime in if i'm doing anything wrong it'd be great.

what do you mean doesnt rise correctly ?

depends how far out tbh as its an unreg appliance you need it spot on or within limits i would gas rate it first before doing anything else aslong as the flame pic is ok

Sometimes when i do it it'll only rise to like 20mbar, today only 5mbar (when clearly the pipesizing looks correct). Then when removing the hose from being wedged down on the injector you get this flame fly out. Ive never had this issue with NG though. which is why i'm questioning why it keeps happening to me.

When its NG its easy to confirm with a gas rate if you can't see pipe sizing. But on LPG what do you do, other than a visual if i keep experiencing these issues. The one today i wasn't worried about as i fitted everything changeover, pipework etc...

was that on the small burner?

i would say there was some sort of restrictor to prevent flame lift did you try the big burners?

On today's one no i didn't, as i have previously tried that on the last LPG rangemaster which i encounter this problem on and the same thing happened at a larger injector too. Is the way i'm carrying out the test in my first post seeming the standard procedure to you?

yes an acctable method best way would be to cut a test point into the line before the outlet / appliance

Cool thanks Shaun at least i know my procedure is correct. Yeah i will on everyone i fit from now on its just bloody easier. Probably give one off these ago as well to save trying to bodge the hose onto it push in the knob and balance a manometer....

jetad-2.jpg

Thanks for your help i appreciate it

Cool thanks Shaun at least i know my procedure is correct. Yeah i will on everyone i fit from now on its just bloody easier. Probably give one off these ago as well to save trying to bodge the hose onto it push in the knob and balance a manometer..

jetad-2.jpg

Thanks for your help i appreciate it
Got a link for that?

Reply to Gas cooker/Hob pressure testing and fitting questions. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock