Search the forum,

Discuss Gas Cert Work vs Installations? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Intresting thread :)
With the responsibilty of gas engineers even £60 is a low price. Putting your name on a legal document, we all should be charging way more but then theres competition thats keeps the price too low in my eyes. I charge £60 as thats what everyone else is charging.

Watched a gardener come into my clients garden today, blow away the leaves and left after 10 minutes £40 and not legal document signed......

I've been charging £50 for a cert with a hob, am to cheap, it's going up to £65 in the new year .

I bet the OP thought he was onto a winner offering £30, I hope the £1000s he claims he has spent doesn't disappear down the drain.

I used to rent my house out. Used to pay around £60 (plus VAT, if the RGI was VAT registered) for a certificate on the boiler and cooker, more if the boiler needed cleaning. Took around 30 minutes IIRC. That, I felt, was a fair price, though to be honest I never shopped around based on price anyway and this was years ago.

Now, as a plumber myself, I won't go out for less than £45 if it's local. Tried working for less but worked out that any less than that and I may as well get a full-time National Living Wage of £7.83 job. No van, no diesel, no insurance, no NI bill at the end of the year, no spending evenings quoting, and no need to worry about anything except remembering to take my lunch in, and money in my account every single Friday.

One customer did find someone 'cheaper' than me, he thinks, but I'm pretty sure the work the other guy did was dangerous and illegal, though I only saw a photo.

Generally, I get repeat custom and recommendations, so I must be doing something right.

As someone who has made significant investment in training, tools, and time, I expect to earn over the Living Wage of £9 an hour, counting all hours and after all expenses at the very least and I'm not even gas registered.

I have plenty of sympathy for those who refuse to cut corners and put others at risk by failing to do their jobs properly just so as to give people a cheap job. Tell your clients that if they want a cheaper Landlord's certificate, they may as well write it out themselves for all it would be worth, but you get the job done properly and it costs ---.

Raised on different practice then if you don't even do a tightness test for a gas cert....legal or not!

Presumably, you are qestioning MY training? At what point did I say I did ANY CP12's for commission agents , let alone the cut throat mob? When I do a CP12, any OF appliance is properly serviced, and at a higher rate than is often mentioned here. However, I do kniw the rules, and explain to new clients MY T&C's. I do not lie to them, by incorrectly stating that a TT or a service is REQUIRED on a tenented property. If they want a basic check on a non OF appliance, that is what they get. Their house, their money. A LOT of guys here get basic facts wrong. The fact is that a CP12 does not REQUIRE a TT. This has been discussed countless times, yet you still get it wrong. My point was that the OP will probably not be asking for a service, but a bare bones CP12 - and there are plenty of LL's happy with that, and a lot of RGIs willing to perform. British Gas DO NOT TT even on a "service", except, more recently, when a gas fire is involved.

I was surprised recently when I read in the gas safe mag a tightness test wasn't mandatory for a gas safety check!

Exactly my point. You are, presumably, qualified - and have only recently understood a basic rule.

Reply to Gas Cert Work vs Installations? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock