Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Gas Cert Work vs Installations? in the Gas Safe Register Forum - Public Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. rossco

rossco New Member

Hi wondered if I could ask a question about preferences as a registered plumber?

In the process of developing a product for registered plumbers which in a nutshell collates requests for gas safety certificates from our network of customers and estate agents and offers them registered plumbers who are part of our network.

We can provide 5 - 10 certs per plumber per day based on the volume we have and for this volume we normally pay between £30 - £40 per certificate so roughly averages out about £200 - £300 a day plus any work you get out of condemed boilers etc..

I'm a little concerned about reliability of people turning up at time arranged with the client so I just wanted to find out whether there is a preference for certs over installations? And whether this level of work is too much for a single person in a day?

Appreciate any help

2. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Simple don't do more than 5 a day and increase the prices to around 70-100 a boiler service/ check

• Like Like x 4
  3. Ben-gee

Ben-gee Top Contributor!!

I think that's what they are charging the customers Shaun, just paying the plumbers 30-40; just another one of those companies I suspect..

• Like Like x 1
  4. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Your going to get bad service as they would need to do 10 a day no no time for travelling so your not going to guarantee times etc

5. Ben-gee

Ben-gee Top Contributor!!

I could be wrong but I think OP wants to sit in an office and make a load of money by paying plumber half rates and then try to make him do twice as much work so he gets a good days money.
    Don't know why anyone thinks this is morally acceptable.

• Like Like x 5
  6. rpm

rpm Trusted Plumber

Load of smoke n mirrors going on here I reckon.
    Why you asking about developing this product if you have a network of guys and the customer base already in place.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. rossco

rossco New Member

I customer base is for certification on the electrical, EPC, Legionella Risk assessment and Inspections side of things. I think there is more to it than just sitting in an office trying to make a load of money as you put it. These are customers we've spent many thousands of pounds to acquire and maintain a business relationship with let along thousands spent on software to facilitate our current business relationship.

8. rpm

rpm Trusted Plumber

?

9. SimonG

SimonG Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

10. king of pipes

king of pipes Trusted Plumber GSR

You won't get many takers for £30 per service 4 a day is about the norm no more than 5 you need to up that significantly to attract the right candidates. Kop

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. SimonG

SimonG Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

Top rate service at bottom rate pay is a sure fire recipe for failure.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Last Plumber

Last Plumber Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

With all due respect, the Engineers you are thinking of sub-contracting work to have spent many thousands of pounds and many years acquiring the qualifications, skills and knowledge it takes to do their job. On top of that they are the ones taking the responsibility. I think that you offering less than half of what the job is actually worth is why the above members think you're another 'give me a slice of your pie' company.
    If I'm incorrect then I apologise but you must understand how it looks?
    Not only do we hear it a lot on here but in the real world their are many companies (Estate agents are the main ones) who want to take all the profits out of the work involved and none of the responsibility.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  13. AMGasServices

AMGasServices GSR

IMO estate agents or gas work brokers must be gas safe registreted by law then will make sure everything is done right.

• Like Like x 2
  14. scott_d

scott_d Plumber GSR

What do you expect to be done at each appointment?
    Boiler service?
    Gas safety check?
    How many appliances?

15. Last Plumber

Last Plumber Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Good point. If they were responsible for the certificate, maybe they would be more interested in having the job done correctly as opposed to not caring, charging full knacker and paying less than half of it to the individual who does the work and puts their name on it.

• Like Like x 1