Search the forum,

Discuss Gas bottles in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

lucas121

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
My boss is an old school plumber. As a result we still use the big 3.9kg calor bottles for our blow torches.

He uses these bottles because he spends roughly £15 every 6 months getting it refilled, and once you have actually carried it into the house its a lot easier to work with as your just holding the blow torch rather then a blow torch and gas bottle. (That said the hose does get irritating!)

How come everyone else uses the 400g bottles? Doesn't it work out a lot more expensive? Iv never actually used one, my boss says hes happy to pay for the refill of the 3.9kg bottles, but if I want to be using the 400g bottles at £10 a pop I have to pay myself....... Sod that!

I changed over from calor a few years ago. It takes up less space, and the flame is hotter and cleaner.
Thinking about it, I can't say it's easier. And the bottles get very cold when using in winter. I'm not changing back, but your boss is right!

easy of use and dont have to lug a 5kg up about 15 flights of stairs as well :)

Yes, your boss is right, but the Surefire & it's wee bottle are more powerful (bit too much tbh) & therefore quicker for soldering - especially damp pipes, so save gas. Tend to be safer as no hoses to leak.
I do miss the handyness of the blow lamp on a hose & I had a squeeze flame control button, which was great. But nowadays mainly wee jobs just & I don't want to carry a heavy bottle into an attic just to solder one or two fittings.
Tell your boss he must be really old. (When you want fired)

I still have my old Sievert torch and bottle in the garage, only ever gets used when we're working on 42mm or above. I only pay £6-£7 maximum for a new 400g propane anyway !!!

My boss is an old school plumber. As a result we still use the big 3.9kg calor bottles for our blow torches.

He uses these bottles because he spends roughly £15 every 6 months getting it refilled, and once you have actually carried it into the house its a lot easier to work with as your just holding the blow torch rather then a blow torch and gas bottle. (That said the hose does get irritating!)

How come everyone else uses the 400g bottles? Doesn't it work out a lot more expensive? Iv never actually used one, my boss says hes happy to pay for the refill of the 3.9kg bottles, but if I want to be using the 400g bottles at £10 a pop I have to pay myself....... Sod that!

Ive only ever had the chance to use the big 5kg bottles in college once, and 400g always on site, i'd say its a lot safer to have a few small bottles of gas than a 5kg bottle in the back bouncing round, and the 400g take up less space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas bottles in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock