Search the forum,

Discuss Gas Boiler Losing Pressure Increasingly Often in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all, I have a student house where over the last 12 months the boiler (Vokera) has been losing pressure more and more often. A plumber has said it might be the heat exchanger but he would need the boiler to go cold to check, which is tricky with 6 students coming and going. It strikes me that if the water was leaking there and evaporating from inside the cabinet, it might be obvious as the boiler is in a tiny understairs cupboard?
We thought we might have uncovered the problem when taking a stud wall down revealed a nail through a rad pipe but still problem persists.
Have treated system with pipe sealant but still problem persists. I'm dreading it being a leak under the ground floor, but the drop in pressure seems random but it is definitely getting worse bit by bit. Thoughts welcome, thanks.

Hi another reason why systems lose pressure is corrosion.
there are steel radiators and copper pipes and brass valves each element if refer back to the periodic table has a different configuration of electrons so voltages occur inside the heating system between metals. This electrical imbalance drags metal from the iron in the radiators to form iron oxide using the oxygen of the circulating water (H2O) releasing the gas hydrogen ( referred to as "air" in the radiators. The gas can be compressed so allowing a reduction in pressure. As the corrosion continues the pressure continues to fall. First shot get a can of Fernox injectable and add it to your filing loop. Fernox bridges the corrosive borders and thus reduces corrosion. You may also have noticed you have to keep bleeding the radiators.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply. Forgive my ignorance but would the pipe sealant (don't know what the brand was or exact product) that has been used do the same job as the Fernox?

Reply to Gas Boiler Losing Pressure Increasingly Often in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Looking to see if anyone can give some advice please. My Baxi boiler has been losing pressure and I am having to top it up approx. every 4 hours from 0-1.5 bar each time. This has been going on a week now. I have also started to notice small drips running down my condensate pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all I have a Vaillant eco boiler at a new house I moved into last week. It’s a combo boiler and the last boiler I had was old (and much easier to use!) This one keeps turning itself off. The hot water seems to work and is always warm. The heating also works but for random amounts of time...
Replies
Views
P
Combi boiler system losing pressure every 2 days. We've been topping it up for months now and have had various radiators replaced and flooring pulled up downstairs around each of the radiators but so far no leaks have been found. I'm at a bit of a loss of where the leak can be because given...
Replies
Views
Hi, I need some urgent advice. I've Just come home after going out for evening, to discover hallway floor and kitchen floor covered in water. On further inspection I discovered that water was coming from boiler cupboard. On looking in boiler cupboard I found boiler has started leaking water...
Replies
Views
P
Looking for some help here - not my boiler, so consider me a proxy. I'm also by no means a heating engineer: I'm just looking for pointers, as the owner of this boiler is now caught firmly between "not us", "not us" and "not us" - nobody will take responsibility, and just calls into question...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock