Search the forum,

Discuss Gas and Plumbing Engineer in Birmingham area? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

macka09

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi, I'm a 32 yr old male looking to get into the gas and plumbing industry. I have relevant funds for the right course but there's so many out their. I've been to a training school in Walsall and they seem fine, but what I cant get my head around is the time frame they say I can pass and the portfolio side of things. The only work I have done regarding plumbing and gas, is stripping down a central heating system with a friend. Also fitting the odd waste pipe and plug/drains for sinks in the house.

The owner of the training company suggested I do a gas foundation course with a level 2 plumbing if I'm serious about getting into the industry.

The time scale I was given for the gas foundation was 2 full weeks at the centre, then however long to do the portfolio which consists of 3 boiler installs and 3 boiler services. Then 3 cooker installs and 3 services and 3 fire services. This is my first issue. I have emailed various companies in regards to helping me achieve the portfolio side of things to no avail, which is why I'm reluctant at spending my money. Although the manager seems to think that people they have go there for their 5 yr refreshers and things would be more than glad to help me out? I wouldn't expect to be paid as it all benefits me anyway, so why can't I find anyone to help me?

Then there's the ACS assessment to be completed, which to me he came across as if that was a certain pass cos they wont let you out the classroom till you do?

I am after lots of advice really if anyone can help?

I'm in full time employment which is why a college course isn't very suitable due to my employer not being very flexible with my hours as I do mornings one week and evenings the next.

Sorry if this isn't in the right area of the forum but I would appreciate any help on offer.

welcome to the forum Macka.
first thing is with only a very limited amount of plumbing experience how do you know this is really what you want to pursue??
I would always say get the plumbing first then progress to gas.
don't know what the foundation course is, but the suggestion is in the name,
that it is only a basic starting point that has to be built on.
there is no way that two weeks would lead to enough knowledge to safely work with gas!

Maybe first try to get some more experience at different aspects of plumbing work,
maybe a short weekend/evening course that doesn't break the bank.
There are lots of companies that will be happy to take your money,
but not give you what you believe you are paying for.

welcome to the forum Macka.
first thing is with only a very limited amount of plumbing experience how do you know this is really what you want to pursue??
I would always say get the plumbing first then progress to gas.
don't know what the foundation course is, but the suggestion is in the name,
that it is only a basic starting point that has to be built on.
there is no way that two weeks would lead to enough knowledge to safely work with gas!

Maybe first try to get some more experience at different aspects of plumbing work,
maybe a short weekend/evening course that doesn't break the bank.
There are lots of companies that will be happy to take your money,
but not give you what you believe you are paying for.

Thanks for the advice. I'm under no illusions that courses that are on offer will leave out certain info that maybe of an importance to me just to get a sale. The thing with getting some experience or feelers for the job is that I can't seem to find a placement or a local tradesman to help me make an in depth choice. I did ask at the training centre what would be more beneficial to do first, as I mentioned originally this is for a serious career change. Whilst I have the funds I want to put them to good use. The training centre do have plumbing courses also but I need to do the course that may help me find employment with in the industry first so that the investment pays for itself. I personally thought gas would be more in demand but I could be wrong. As I'm a 32 yr old male theres no chance really of an apprentice so I need to be able to gain the qualifications first by the look of it. Any other info would be great thanks

Hi Macka
I agree with Simon in that you should stick to plumbing for a few years to see if it suits you before you try going into gas.
Companies want experienced operatives and tend not to want learners however cheaply they offer their services.
Good luck though.

I can't believe just trying to get the right advice about this industry is so hard to come by. I completely understand that a company wants the right people but surely just the fact I'm willing to invest so much of my own money shows that I'm serious and willing to learn.

Not relevant I'm afraid, companies have plenty of choice from experienced guys who can earn them money from day one.
If they wanted a learner they'd take on a sixteen year old.

So that's the attitude I was warned about lol. I wonder if all the plumbing and heating industry guys got into it straight from school. I think not. Now I know why eastern europeans are being employed more and more, thanks anyway

I got into it straight from school, the best way imo but not the only way.

You asked for advice, I'm sorry if it's not the advice that you wanted to hear.

Hopefully someone who has been down the path I'm trying to take will be able to help. You may as well have said theres to many of us lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Hopefully someone who has been down the path I'm trying to take will be able to help. You may as well have said theres to many of us lol

I don't swear!

Truthfully though, what's wrong with you being a plumber?

Gas isn't all its cracked up to be what with wages falling and the costs involved to maintain registration continually climbing.

Don't believe the guy at the training centre when he tells you "everyone will be keen to help you out".
They won't, and the reason is that they will see you as competition.

I can't believe just trying to get the right advice about this industry is so hard to come by. I completely understand that a company wants the right people but surely just the fact I'm willing to invest so much of my own money shows that I'm serious and willing to learn.

So that's the attitude I was warned about lol. I wonder if all the plumbing and heating industry guys got into it straight from school. I think not. Now I know why eastern europeans are being employed more and more, thanks anyway

You asked for advice. You're getting it. Now you're learning that the cold reality doesn't match your rose tinted expectations. Lose the attitude if you want to get anywhere for a start.

And read the forum rules or your visit here could end up a short one!

Got to agree with others. I'm only fitting boilers and fixing stuff because I have to. I studied chemical process engineering to masters,worked as a civil engineer with Jarvis then a project manager with Carillon and other civil companies..... Downturn started .... Went from running ÂŁ275M development to having ÂŁ275 in my bank... I worked for free for nearly 3 years. I didn't even get scrap! It's a ok job but if you know nothing it's going to be hard. Find a greedy small business man and offer your services. You will get abused. Don't listen to training places they just want your money and will tell u were to go when you still aren't earning after 3 years!

What is it that you are so attracted to working with gas? Do you have any dependants? If you are free British gas are looking for trainees, they are however a pants company and want you to give your life!

I might suggest that you look at alternative technology, solar thermal, bio mass, air and ground pumps.... Green deal is set to roll onto commercial systems in 2018 and there will be lots and lots of work as all landlords will need to have an a rated boiler by 2015 or its ÂŁ5k fine and all business will have a similar system in-place in future. Also fuel costs going up so everyone going to want to save a Penny or two.

I would possibly also look at being able to do epc in the interim , green deal is daylight robbery but you could jump on band wagon for the Eco funding part, lots of people 2020 qualified but still short fall of epc staff. Talk to stroma for info.

Theirs nothing wrong with just being a plumber, I just don't fancy shelling out a lot of money for something that isn't worth anything in the industry. I haven't thought about going it alone with my own business due to how slow I assume it would be in the early days. The reason I would like to be able to work along side someone who has been doing it a long time is for there supervision as I assume my course should show me what I need to know?????

Basically what interests me in the industry is being able to learn a skill for life which can help put food on the table as I do have a young son to bring up. I want to be able to provide more than what my current 9-5 offers. As I mentioned earlier whilst I have these funds to hand I would like to put it to good use. I know the renewable energy route is definitely one to look at due to global warming and energy efficiency etc etc.

I just don't fancy shelling out a lot of money for something that isn't worth anything in the industry. I haven't thought about going it alone with my own business due to how slow I assume it would be in the early days.

That i'm afraid is what you are about to do. Shell out a LOT of money for something that is worth very little.
The reality of retainers is most have to go it alone because they can't get a start with anyone. That is hardly surprising when you consider they know less than a 1st year apprentice who can do more work for less money. There are also 1000's of fully qualified guys sitting around scratching their rses willing to take any scraps that are thrown at ridiculously low rates just to pay the bills.
Yes there are a few dedicated guys come into the trade in later life and become very good plumbers or engineers but they are by far the minority. Most fall by the wayside and move on to something else having wasted a lot of time effort and money.
The winners are the training centres churning out the hopefuls with rose tinted glasses of a secure future.
Think carefully before you part with your cash. Tripple Eight in the 4.15 at Rippon tomorrow is a better bet:wink:

If you have a 9-5 keep it I work 07.45 till 18.30 for not a lot ! Why not invest in some training relevant To your current job or perhaps if you have loads if spare cash invest in a more prosperous career?

I came into this trade 6yrs ago, through a training centre like the ones nobody likes. The people who know what they want to do when they leave school are lucky i was 30 before i did.One advantage i had was my motor vehicle background . I was lucky enough to find a good mentor to work with for free for about 18 months before i passed my acs ( the job i had at the time was nights so i had the days to train). I couldn't find any work when i eventually passed as we were mid recession. The person i trained with threw some work my way and slowly away i set up my own business continuously putting all monies earned into buying decent equipment and attending courses. The hard thing to learn is the older systems in my opinion. I now have a good business and some very loyal customers but i will never be rich b

If you have a 9-5 keep it I work 07.45 till 18.30 for not a lot ! Why not invest in some training relevant To your current job or perhaps if you have loads if spare cash invest in a more prosperous career?

You part timer you. What about the extra time looking and paperwork etc.

I actually work for a tile distribution centre so I know tiling isn't the root I wanna go down. How can this industry be such a bad one to get involved with considering gas men and plumbers will always be needed. The hardest part about starting a new career is the opportunity to show your worth first.

Lame plumber and armyash are both late starters and both doing ok however the majority fail thats what you need to consider

I went down the gas route and not the plumbing, via one of the commercial colleges. I did it like that as I could earn decent money straight away, I needed to, mortgages, car loans etc dont pay themselves. Id love to have an NVQ 2 in plumbing to supplement my Gas qualifications however, to the point of considering enrolling in college now to do it in retrospect. I think if you have the money and can afford it from a lifestyle/commitments point of view you should look at the plumbing first. I didnt and I do kind of regret it, Im doing well at the Gas though so it can be done if thats what your mind is set on.

Good luck to you mate I really hope you have success, whatever you end up doing, maybe plumbing IS for you, but there are a lot of plumbers out there who really dislike thier job and would do anything to get out of it, at least if you spend a fortune and fail, you have been warned that it is really tough out there.

i'm a late starter at 36 now 41. what i would say is if you dont come from a mechanical or fault finding background your not gonna find it easy at all. i was a maintenance engineer in a foundry so a lot of my skills i could relate to plumbing and heating. also the fast track course will teach you how to work on gas safely not how how to repair or install or run pipes here or there. i also had to set up on my own they will all see you as competition Luckily it worked for me out of the 12 twelve that did the course over half never did their ACS kerching for the training centre
in all honesty i think you will struggle

Just a little update. Just recently I have decided to go on an NVQ level 2 in plumbing and heating and if all goes well I will pay for the gas qualifications at a later date. I have been advised that plumbing and heating would be more beneficial to gain employment than a quick fix course. It's not with a quick pass company company its with a college. I have a pal who works for the local council who is gonna take me on jobs to help build up my experience. I have recently installed a bathroom suite but only in my own home so it all helps. If any local chaps have any work available I am more than willing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas and Plumbing Engineer in Birmingham area? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock