Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Full bore isolating valves- which way round to fit? in the Plumbing Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Andy B

Andy B New Member

Hello chaps,

Just fitting some full bore isolating valves. No arrows on the casing for water flow direction.

The screwed joint is one side of the ball valve.

Is there any preference with which way to fit them ? Does it matter?

Cheers 11495.jpg

2. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

theres an arrow on them but normally the small / split outlet

• Like Like x 2
  3. chris watkins

chris watkins Plumber

If no arrow then shouldn't matter Andy but personally I would install with flow running from left to right in your photo.

I seem to remember when they first came out the joint between the two halves of the valve was alway to be on the upstream side.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Andy B

Andy B New Member

Thanks for the info chaps,

I wonder what the reasoning is??

I fitted them the opposite way around- my idea was there was one less joint to leak on the pressure side.

I might swap them later.

Cheers

5. chris watkins

chris watkins Plumber

I wouldn't worry I have never had a problem with that leaking, it is always around the stem. :eek:
    They don't call them suicide valves for nothing. :D

image.png

image.png

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. OffshoreGas

OffshoreGas Top Contributor!!

Mechanically they are symmetrical so it shouldn’t really matter.

I think most manufacturers add a flow direction arrow because it does matter with some other valve types and people expect to see them.

7. Darren Jackson

Darren Jackson Plumber GSR

I'd go for the lever type rather than the screwdriver one in the picture far less trouble in the future. And if no arrow then it does not matter which way round it is fitted.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. ballvalve

ballvalve Member

I would not use that type of valve they will leak, use the 1/4 turn far better.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. OffshoreGas

It’s a shame they don’t fit a gland but to the valve stem you could nip up to stop leaks. Great cavaliers otherwise.

I do generally find it’s the no brand crap that leak.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Jim Goodenough

Jim Goodenough Plumber

What about full bore lever valves, which way should the handle point?
    In line with supply or feed?
    yorkshire-fittings-pb300-full-bore-lever-valve-blue-handle-p18150-12874_image.jpg

Last edited: May 8, 2019
  11. OffshoreGas

Really doesn’t matter, just make sure you can open/close without obstruction.

12. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Left side in pic supply

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. FG28

FG28 New Member

Fall to off i usually go for

• Like Like x 1
  14. Dw911

Dw911 New Member

If no arrow, id always fit them with the solid inside face on the feed side, the solid machined side when you look inside the valve if that makes sense
    Why, a fellow plumber disconnected the feed side of one of these in some flats, temporarily, as it wasn't letting by he for whatever reason didn't bother to cap it and went home, during the night the ball part blew out of the open end of the valve, the valve had no arrows, but if the valve had been oriented the other way it wouldn't have been able to happen

• Like Like x 1
  15. Brambles

Brambles Member

DW911 -absolutely spot on