Search the forum,

Discuss Freezing 3yr old son's bedroom HELP! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are supposed to get the expansion vessel air charge checked minimum once a year when boiler is serviced.
Remember you can't open the gas boiler or work on it unless you are gas qualified.
Separate expansion vessel is a different story.

The gas guys are lazy best :) its only us oilies that check the ev on a service :) :) :)

The gas guys are lazy best :) its only us oilies that check the ev on a service :) :) :)

Tell me about it! :smile: I am overworked sometimes on oil. I wish all I had to do is service or replace them wee easy gas boilers.

Tell me about it! :smile: I am overworked sometimes on oil. I wish all I had to do is service or replace them wee easy gas boilers.

The gas stuff may a bit technical.:Angel_anim:

I must admit the gas stuff must be very technical. That's probably why I have to tell people where their gas engineers failed. :smile:
That Goose bloke is a gas engineer and seems to be lost in the complexity of basic oil stuff. :grin:

I would love to see you sorting an oil twin vapour burner rayburn nouvelle in less than 3 hours on a standard service, or 3 days if you've not got a manual

I would love to see you sorting an oil twin vapour burner rayburn nouvelle in less than 3 hours on a standard service, or 3 days if you've not got a manual

I've had a look on other forums, and it's quite simple.

I've had a look on other forums, and it's quite simple.

great, next time I am asked I will give them your number, there aren't that many out there (Aga trained or not ) that will go near them :) the powermax of range cookers, but a lot lot worse..................

Oil is for kids. Afaiac if you can do a 12000 service on ya corsa you can work on oil.

Heating runs on mobil 1 right ???

Last edited by a moderator:
7am update, heating on for 1hr, 1-degree outside..............no improvement. rads 65-degree throughout house, problem 2 still at 50. Going to kick out theem with a mallet when I get back from work tonight

Last edited by a moderator:
7:30am - 52 lounge, 55 bedrom, coming up but slowly as other rads in system start shutting down on thier TRVs as rooms reach temps...........downside of all this is I now have a boiler pressure of 2.7bar!!!!!!!!!1 up from 1bar cold. Clearly increasing pump speed to 3 with current lockshiled settings (most are throttles way down) is raising boiler pressure.......or coincidental problem with EV pressure (which you say I cannot touch evn thought shraeder valve can be seen at back / top of boiler).

Not sure how fast the boiler pressure came up this AM, will get wive to turn on heating from cold this afternoon and watch gauge for 10-min to see if it shoots up (indicating EV issues) or rises slowly over an hour, indicating lockshileds too far shut on too many rads issue

Next step - open lockshileds downstairs more to reduce system resistance and max boiler pressure on pump 3 setting, or just call out an engineer (I know!)

The increase in pressure is not related to balancing system. Opening rads won't cure it!

smglasgow.

Please be aware of our swearing policy on this forum.

This is a friendly reminder of that policy.

Don't swear!

Actually I said, if the case has to come off the boiler you can't do it.

Going to kick out theem with a mallet when I get back from work tonight

Stand to be corrected here but, using a rubber or even a hide mallet wont have the effect of "Shocking" the pin free, needs to be something metallic.

Stand to be corrected here but, using a rubber or even a hide mallet wont have the effect of "Shocking" the pin free, needs to be something metallic.

I use a. Icily waited adjustable, a short sharp tap.

well. after a couple of days tapping the TRV in 3yr olds room, finally bot the bullet and replaced the TRV body completely with new unit. Pump speed 3. with the result .....................NO CHANGE! 55degree radiator temp at top compared with brother room at 65 degrees. Radiator no cold zones and 5 degree difference top to bottom, so wonder if the lockshield is restricted with gunk even thought the head is fully unscrewed. Back to drawing board for now I guess. Current thinking:

- replace loockshield;

if still restricted flow:

- flush radiator from hose - even thought convinced clean!

if still restricted flow:

- investigate blockage in pipework between brothers radiator and 3rd olds (all of 8 ft!)

if still restricted:

- replace pump.

if still restricted:

MOVE HOME!!!!!!!

Glad I dont do this for a living, like forensic science this lot.

investigate blockage in pipework between brothers radiator and 3rd olds (all of 8 ft!)

10ft length of cable ? Sort of 5mm diameter cable used to hang net curtains and maybe a wet vac?

brainwave.........perhaps, just seen brothers hot rad - 65 top, 67inlet, 55 outlet (ideal 12 degrees temp drop) with lockshield at 2 turns from open. Problem rad is wide open on lockshield with inlet of 63 and outlet of 58 (5 degree drop) and top of rad at 58. Surley if I throttle down lockshield on this rad it will effectively reduce the speed with which water flows through the rad and therefore heat it up (paradoxically as I always thought the last in the line needed to be fully open)>

wrong time to test this as system now up to temp, but will throttle down by 50% and see how it looks tomorrow AM

Remove affected rad and fit length of copper between valves, see what temp you get on the pipe
If flow pipe, temp copper pipe and return all get to same hot temp, then rad is the problem
If no better, points to a restriction in flow/return pipe

Remove affected rad and fit length of copper between valves, see what temp you get on the pipe
If flow pipe, temp copper pipe and return all get to same hot temp, then rad is the problem

What he said.

That only proves a rad is faulty if there had been no heat at valves or rad previously.
If the flow pipe to rad valve had been always roasting, then by doing your method all you are doing is extending the pipe without the rad being there to absorb the heat. So your temporary pipe will heat, but will prove nothing if there is a partial blockage in the flow or return pipes

lockshield open 1/2 turn will do!
i will revert back to my first post geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

That only proves a rad is faulty if there had been no heat at valves or rad previously.
If the flow pipe to rad valve had been always roasting, then by doing your method all you are doing is extending the pipe without the rad being there to absorb the heat. So your temporary pipe will heat, but will prove nothing if there is a partial blockage in the flow or return pipes

Didn't realise the flow had plenty of heat or that the lockshield was fully open
I will write 100 lines
"I must read every post, before replying"
I was under the impression that rad wasn't getting hot quick enough, so suggested the link pipe to see if heat got there quicker

Didn't realise the flow had plenty of heat or that the lockshield was fully open
I will write 100 lines
"I must read every post, before replying"
I was under the impression that rad wasn't getting hot quick enough, so suggested the link pipe to see if heat got there quicker

I am not sure myself, tbh. At 7 pages of posts and still going, I think it is hard reading. :smile:

It can still be a partially blocked pipe with a red hot flow.

took a break from this problem as a- we had a temp swing of +15 degree here in Glasgow in the last week and so not so urgent as before and b- head was spinning fault finding. Consensus appeared to be that there was a blockage in the return leg from 3yr olds radiator. Whilst I have yet to investigate this further I would like to suggest an alternative cause of the poor heating on 3yrs olds rad as keep in mind the downstairs lounge performs just as bad as this upstairs radiator. To recap:

- 3yrd olds upstairs rad barely 55 degrees at top of rad after 2 hrs.
- brothers bedroom (8ft away) rad is 65 degrees in 30-min;
- all other (4 upstairs) rads 65degrees no problems;
- lounge rad same performance as 3 yr olds room - 55 max after 2 hours;
- hallway rad slightly better (warmer I mean but only high 50's) - hallway rad is on way back to boiler now;
- next rad in the line is 65degrees (as are remaining 8 downstairs rads on the way to the boiler)

Surely from the above it suggests the issue is with the pumping power of the grunfos UPS 15-60 pump? I have it set to speed 3 and no odd noises, appears to run fine and have confirmed no air in the pump by loosening the bleed screw.

Q - how do you KNOW if a pump is under-performing (ive read about trying to stop the impeller with a screwdriver, but that sounds a bit vague and what sort of force would you need to apply?

- The pump does get hot to touch but not red hot, its circulating 75degree hot water afterall so should never be lukewarm to the touch correct?

Q - if i replace the pump, would you suggest a fully system replacement or just head and would the new grunfos UPS2 be a good upgrade given the VOkera compact HE 35 is 5+ years old.

Thanks again for your comments and patience with my daft Qs

After seven pages a lack of response probably indicates you have all the answers you're going to get so either take it or just wait for the next really cold spell before you panick again.

From memory you should completely replace the TRV's of the malfunctioning rads, ensure the rads (designer) have been fitted the right way around and finally if the system is clean have the pump replaced or you could call in a GS engineer which is what you should've done in the first place.

Thought I would provide an update on this one, as only fair given all the advise given to date. Currently running system with x400 sentinel in it before giving it a manual flush using mains pressure in a couple of weeks time.

What we found to date - 2 problem rads (slow to heat and not heating fully) off the wall and flushed outside, some muck but not excessive. ÂŁ50 spent on new TRVs and lockshields on these rads and others, all to no avail. Flow and return both confirmed as not blocked and decent flow at rad (by removing rad and opening valve on the pipe tails). Rads confirmed as b-directional by manufacturer however interestingly swapping the TRV to be on the OUTLET of my son's rad did add 5-degrees to the rad temp (when rad was off I opened TRV and lockshield to see flowrate and was amazed at how much more flow through lockshield c.f TRV - originally on the oulet leg - gave). Thought, swapping them might be worth while and so it proved (gained 5-degrees) and of course checked the TRVs bi direction setting was set as outlet now.

I then re-balanced system with rads next to bioler closed even further from 1/2 - 1 turno open originally to 1/4 to 1/2 turn open now (tiny amount when you look inside one of the lockshields I replaced, but amazingly the rads still heated up quickly). These LOCKSHIELDS are nearly 5 turns to fully open! This also improved temps slightly. Slight worried the small aperture settings will furr up with gunk and so thinking about installing a magnaclean in due course or re-balancing with the pump speed at 2 to get increased aperture settings on the lockshields. Any thoughts?

Currently runnign the x400 more as precaution given 5 years old and only bought home 18m ago, but hopefully this plus a re-balancing of the system will address the issue (FOR MY SON AT LEAST). His rad is the last in the line upstairs. Unfortunately the front room rad (last in the line downstairs is still not great). Had reason to go under the floor for the 1st time since buying the home at the weekend and was surpirsed to see the downstairs rads are fed off a 22 manifold and all rund 10mm microbore!!!! U/stairs is all 15mm PVC.

All downstairs rads are fine except the front room, which is some 6m from the manifold on 10mmm microbore. The manifold feeding this rad is a JG Speedfit Inline Manifold 4 Port unit.

My Q is, would a 12 m loop, 6m there and back feeding a 1kw rad be OK on 10-mm microbore or shoudl I consider upgrading this pipe to 15mm to help get increased flow to this rad? The issue of getting heat to the rad has never been there - always high 60-s at inlet, just no flow through the rad so huge temp drop and little heat.

Before anyone says it, I know I could have got a GS engineer to look at this weeks ago, but this is now a point ot principal for me that I, with your help, will fix this!

Thanks as always for the feedback.

All downstairs rads are fine except the front room, which is some 6m from the manifold on 10mmm microbore. The manifold feeding this rad is a JG Speedfit Inline Manifold 4 Port unit.

My Q is, would a 12 m loop, 6m there and back feeding a 1kw rad be OK on 10-mm microbore or shoudl I consider upgrading this pipe to 15mm to help get increased flow to this rad? The issue of getting heat to the rad has never been there - always high 60-s at inlet, just no flow through the rad so huge temp drop and little heat.

Before anyone says it, I know I could have got a GS engineer to look at this weeks ago, but this is now a point ot principal for me that I, with your help, will fix this!

Thanks as always for the feedback.

1kW should be okay on 10mm. Wondered if there might have been a problem with the pump not being man enough for the job but the change between 10 and 15mm in terms of pressure drop isn't a lot and if it's 22mm up to the manifold should be plenty. Just a thought, if you can get at the return manifold and check its temperature to see if there's any issues. Even more stupid thought: they haven't taken both F&R conns to the front room rad off the same manifold have they? I have seen it done....

Just checked and flow and returns are correctly plumbed at manifold. Measured length again and closer to 10m each way! Also noted none of the microbire pipework is insulated, so yet another to do job or is the heat loss through 10mm microbore not worth worrying about? Will be draining the sentinel soon, so could run a new 10mm returrn pipe to the prob rad, if a 20m loop is feasible on a 1kw rad. Thing just aint comin up to temp despite hot inlet, New valves and a flushed radiator (taken to garden with hose). Either blocked return or pump not up to the job I guess, but then it pushes water round the other 15 rads ok.

Do you have access to the whole pipe run on the problem rad? Could the 10mm pipe have been pinched or squashed somewhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Freezing 3yr old son's bedroom HELP! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock