Search the forum,

Discuss Freeze machine in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dannypipe

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
A friend of mine has the same machine and apart from it being quite heavy he his happy with it

we had the rothenburg sales rep in our local merchants showing us all how amazing their new pipe freezer was, has it out and was using a u piece of 15 mm with water in it to show how it worked, he said " itll freeze any pipe in no time". "whats the risk of splitting the pipe when freezing it"? i said, he said "As long as theres an open end or no pressure in the pipe it will be ok, if theres pressure in the pipe it would probably split it".

"SO freezing a main to replace the stop tap as a last resort is out of the question then?"

he nodded his head. now that was one hell of a sales man, truely honest lol. turned me right off it.

Yeah he was too honest, plus the rothy machine takes ages to freeze. I had mine on hire, and I was glad to give it back. Hope this thing which weighs a ton is a bit more heavy duty.

My mate said for best results with his machine he uses a couple of layers of wet paper towel between the freeze heads and the pipe

The box, cable & heads look exactly the same as the freezemaster one that I've got - it's an excellent tool !

Cheers for the advice Quality.

I went for this model as it looks identical to the Freezemaster 350D. Which I hear is a great bit of kit.

I need to get round to trialing it, but the guy I bought from has 100% good feedback, so I know it'll be all good.

Its going to be a lifesaver when I do next have to use it. Freezing with bottles is fine, but this is the way to do it properly!

Cheers for the advice Quality.

I went for this model as it looks identical to the Freezemaster 350D. Which I hear is a great bit of kit.

I need to get round to trialing it, but the guy I bought from has 100% good feedback, so I know it'll be all good.

Its going to be a lifesaver when I do next have to use it. Freezing with bottles is fine, but this is the way to do it properly!

Are these freeze machines reliable enough on open vented 28mm pipe? this place has got about 25rads and I don't fancy draining down for a 2 port valve, beside its probably tar in the pipes at this stage.

Yeah they will do 28mm easy. Since this thread started we have bought another freeze machine. Brand new this time. Don't use it often but they are double handy. With your 28mm just ensure you have room each side for the heads (about 100mm with some room to play)

Run it once a month to keep the seals lubricated.
If not you may find the refrigerant may leak out over time due tobthe seals drying out

Ive got a freeze master for sale if anyones after one.
Its a 240 as well which is rare going by ebay

I think its only for upto 22mm

How old and does it freeze immediatelypm me price
Cheers me deers

No Phil it definitely doesn't freeze immediately!
I've been meaning to put it on ebay the last few weeks.
I bought it a year ago and have never needed used it other than turning it on every couple of weeks it doesn't get used. It was regassed when I bought it.
It does start freezing immediately but It takes 15-20minutes before the heads looks well and truly snowed under

The difference between my brand new machine and the old one is stark. The new one gets cold within minutes and within 5/10 minutes it is covered in frost. I wanted to get the old one regassed but the gasses are banned on the old one so I would need to get it done by a dodgy AC guy. Not worth it. Even the old one does still freeze eventually. Takes around 3 times as long and doesn't get to -40 like the new one. I bought 240 as I don't like carrying the tranny around!

You will be able to get a drop in.
Something like r134a.

Probably r12 if its an old old device.
Youll probably find it will work for a few weeks, perhaps a month but will stop as the seals are aged

These gadgets really sound the business for this one particular job but i kind of suspect its gonna spend quite a bit of time in storage like the £1000 powerflush machine! Lets say you gotta freeze in order to take out a 2 port valve, if the heads are within 200mm of the compression nuts, is there not a risk of splitting the pipe as you crack open the comp fitting? I 'd be fuming if i paid £700 for that late night scenario and 25 radiators boxed in behind seating etc needing to be drained down!!
I m guessing, so long as I fit the new valve back within a few minutes, then only a short plug of ice has built up, just a bit weary thats all

Last edited by a moderator:
It won't split the pipe. I've left freezes on all day and all that happens in the plug gets longer.

Thanks turkeys christmas is out of the way...... Anyway fair point, having used the machine, pipe splitting sounds about as likely as the the pope standing by his kids... anyway what I would say to anyone thinking these save time and money: definitely not always and can cause havoc. I was over 1 meter from a circulator and the seals on it went, possibly rubber in stop cocks etc are effected also. So would I run out and hire one again? only if it was the only solution or was a no brainer in saving me time... time time time spent at the hire shop, in traffic .....

I've had a freezmaster for yrs it's been well worth the money yes it does spend time in storage but when I get a pain in the rear end job it saves a lot of time. I have a 350d it will freez up to 42mm it takes around 15 to 20 mins to freez 22mm. The only drawback is it's a heavy piece of kit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Freeze machine in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock