Search the forum,

Discuss Fortic tank in loft in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Caballero4

To save space in first floor kitchen of maisonette, and improve hot water flow, suggestion is to move/install fortic tank in loft above. Don't know capacity but from its height in relation to mine must be 200L+. Serious weight/strengthening implications for loft joists?

put in an unvented cyl for best flow rate on hw. obey regs re joists. or seek building controls advice.

Timber supports laid across the joists required then lay over some 3/4 marine ply. Try to position in loft over a load bearing wall if possible.

Thank you all for these very quick replies. Yes, the job takes into account enlarging the loft hatch.

tamz has a very good picture/diagram of how to build a tank stand in a loft space i think. Im sure he would post it up if you ask nice like.

best over load bearing wall, fully lagged etc.....

use tanalised timber and 25mm marine ply.

Thank you A Wheating. I'm new to this - how do I ask 'tamz', just a posted polite request ?

Further to this whole issue, is there another option instead of moving the fortic tank, to provide hot water (no CH, only night storage, no gas) for kitchen and bathroom (bath and [soon] electric shower 8.5kw) ?

Post #2.

If you have the water flow and pressure a direct unvented cylinder.

Many thanks for this link. It certainly looks important to get the platform right. The size/weight of the tank must be the key factor.

We would still need it in the loft to solve the space issue so presumably the platform question is the same.

yes, platform requirements would be the same.
if its a smallish maisonette you could get away with a 100 or 120 litre unvented cylinder.

tamz has a very good picture/diagram of how to build a tank stand in a loft space i think. Im sure he would post it up if you ask nice like.

best over load bearing wall, fully lagged etc.....

use tanalised timber and 25mm marine ply.
why would you need tanalised timber for a interior structure?any leaks in the loft will be apparent long before the frame started to rot away same for marine ply total overkill

BS 4213 requires 15mm marine ply or 18mm TG flooring as a support for cold water storage cisterns so it makes sense to do the same for a cylinder.

why would you need tanalised timber for a interior structure?any leaks in the loft will be apparent long before the frame started to rot away same for marine ply total overkill

I agree with the tanalised timber really, but probably best practice and not much price difference really. Most the new builds i have done over the past few years that have had tanks have used it. As for marine ply seen plenty of tank stands suffering from water damage from slow drips, cheap ply dont last long with water soaking into it. overkill or not its what i would recommend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Fortic tank in loft in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

So after having engineer drawings back I'm limited to around 90cm of loft height. I was thinking of a preplumbed horizontal cylinder. But now wondering if a pump and zone valves on the landing in a separate cupboard with just the cylinder flow return going to the loft. Is this an ok idea of...
Replies
Views
Morning. Looking at installing a DAB Esybox however space at a premium. Thinking of installing a break tank in the loft (above first floor) rather than going for the combined pump and tank unit. This is replacing a vented system so pipe work goes up there already. Is there any reason I shouldn’t...
Replies
Views
D
Hello. In this recent cold snap my loft has been getting condensation droplets form on the bitumen membrane. I had previously installed lap vents and minimised storage to improve air flow. The loft is well insulated apart form an area under the cold water tank. However my cold water tank is...
Replies
Views
DDangerous
D
Hello. In this recent cold snap my loft has been getting condensation droplets form on the bitumen membrane. I had previously installed lap vents and minimised storage to improve air flow. The loft is well insulated apart form an area under the cold water tank. However my cold water tank is...
Replies
Views
Trying to add a shower into a small bathroom, I'm looking at moving my hot water cylinder to the loft. Currently, I have a vented 200L cylinder (in the bathroom) with the principal source of heat being an Economy 7 setup, which gives adequate hot water for our needs. The cylinder also has an...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock