Search the forum,

Discuss fog horn sound after changing expansion vessel in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
This a cry for help ! ! and apologies for the lack of knowledge displayed as I'm just a house owner. Nobody seems to have the knowledge to identify what the fog horn sound is and I'm at my wits end! Even Tempest haven't got a clue!

So i have a Combi boiler and a Tempest cylinder in the loft with a zilmet expansion vessel. About 3 years ago i noticed a humming noise coming from the Tempest cylinder and cracked the PRV at the top of the cylinder and at the time this stopped a hum. From that point on i had a drip coming from the tun dish and then being discharged outside. Wasn't a problem until last year when the winter froze it and then we had a small flood in the loft due to the leaking PRV backing up and then just pooling over the top of the tun dish.

So i recently got a new local plumber round to take a look and he discovered it was actually the PRV on the combination valve that was faulty and causing the drip. He also pointed out the expansion vessel was full of water and probably caused the issue in the 1st place. He changed the vessel 1st and then the drip stopped and we were happy. He then drove off i turned the shower on and it sounded like a fog horn coming through the house ! called him back and he didn't really know where the noise was coming from! After further visits he has now changed the combination valve because he thought that might be something to do with it as maybe where the vessel and PRV had been broken for ages it might of effected the it so he changed that.. Guess what ! still got the noise !

I have spoken to Tempest on a number of occasions and they guessed that the pressure needed to be set on the vessel as off the shelf they are 3 bar ??? The plumber set it to 2.2 bar to match the pressure coming in and we still have the noise! Spoke to tempest again as nobody seems to know what the noise is and the only solution they can suggest is that the Zilmet vessel is faulty. Plumber seems to think this is highly unlikely.

This fog horn noise only happens when the hot taps are turned on and its doesn't matter if the heating is on or off, if its a certain time of the day, changing the flow to the cylinder, the moon is full or any other variation. If I'm honest it happens more when the hot taps haven't been used for a while. So when the shower is turned on in the morning or washing up downstairs in the morning its particularly bad. Also if you do the taps as slow as humanly posible and turn on step by step it seems to be less of a noise.

I dont know, they dont know and a plumber doesn't know! does anyone on here have any good advice? My next step is to get it all capped off and just run my house off the combi boiler like we used to have ! ! !

Many thanks for any advice i may get ! !

Get another G3 qualified plumber in.
Not really a good idea to give out details of unvented work on open forum as it is illegal to work on and potentially dangerous for unqualified to do so.
The noise began when vessel replaced should be an indication

He is qualified and has 24 years experience and all the plumbers that have been round are! I'm just looking for advice as im fed up with nobody being able to sort this noise. Thanks

Get another G3 qualified plumber in.
Not really a good idea to give out details of unvented work on open forum as it is illegal to work on and potentially dangerous for unqualified to do so.
The noise began when vessel replaced should be an indication
To your point how do you suggest i ask for advice then and in what forum ?

I am familiar with this problem with similar issues! Four year old new build house, dripping outside from tundish discharge. G3 plumber called who said that pressure vessel had failed. New pressure vessel installed, no drip since (18 months). As part of my annual boiler check the plumber checks the hot water storage cylinder and pressures of the two pressure vessels. All OK and no issues.
However my fog horn noise/vibration only happens when I turn the shower on and appears to be coming from around/behind the shower head. (No noise when turning the hot taps on). With the shower running no noise/vibration! This has been happening for the past couple of years, even before the pressure vessel was changed.
I have put it down to the need to replace the Cartridge Assy of my
Mira Minilite Shower head and will probably do that when I get a Round Tuit!

I think the point is you need another G3 qualified plumber.

I think the point is you need another G3 qualified plumber.
but if 3 plumbers that are all G3 qualified have already been and gone then whats the point in getting another one round ? I dont have an endless pot of money. Even Tempest and Zilmet haven't got a clue! the only suggestions they are giving are its a faulty vessel or the pressure needs to be balanced. Been there done that ! or the plumbers have

Then if it’s a faulty vessel why isn’t the manufacturer looking at it? You shouldn’t be paying if the vessel is faulty. The point we are trying to make is that if the fault lies with your cylinder set up we won’t advise on it as they are exceedingly dangerous if tampered with

Then if it’s a faulty vessel why isn’t the manufacturer looking at it? You shouldn’t be paying if the vessel is faulty. The point we are trying to make is that if the fault lies with your cylinder set up we won’t advise on it as they are exceedingly dangerous if tampered with
I should have said they mentioned it may be faulty but unlikely as signs would be water would be present or it would be loosing pressure, it's not doing either.I'm not looking for someone to walk me thorough the components of a cylinder or how to do anything and I get they are dangerous ! I'm just looking for advice like any normal person would. Cant see how pointers can be dangerous? you could say ask your engineer to look at this or look at that or in my experience its usually something to do with this or that. See that's harmless

Because A us saying look at this or look at that might encourage you to look at this or that. Best will in the world we don’t know you or what you’d be willing to do. And B this stays online and may also encourage someone in the future to have a go and cause issue. All it would take would be someone to say oh I got the info from the UKPF and in this litigious society we live in could come crashing down on us

WOW ! Crashing down on a forum of opinions! Heads up , you should never give your opinion to anyone ! imagine a plumber giving his opinion to a customer and then customer doing something and then blaming the opinion that was given to him. PC gone nuts ! cheers for the input (thats my opinion)

It is your risk and responsibility if you act upon an opinion and thus you cannot sue a person in respect of an opinion given by him. You have no legal contract with the person and thus you have no cause of action to sue the person on account of an opinion posted by him.

Last edited:
Wind your neck in, you wont get an answer due to safety implications.

Simple fix for a qualufied guy.

Hahaha ! Answers ! What answers ! Do one you keyboard warrior. If you think I care if I get the help here you are sadly mistaken. This was the last scape of the barrel.

Should’ve come here first then it’s a simple fix and we’d no doubt have an engineer in your area but if the toys are coming out because you can’t see the safety implications then more fool you. Have a nice day

Should’ve come here first then it’s a simple fix and we’d no doubt have an engineer in your area but if the toys are coming out because you can’t see the safety implications then more fool you. Have a nice day

Don't think anybody on here would entertain the fool. Probably had to get the new plumber because nobody else in the area will work for him.

You seemed to have missed the point ! It’s clearly not a simple fix as everything that’s been suggested by said Managua ties
well it not a simple fix because all the simple fixes have been done!
Don't think anybody on here would entertain the fool. Probably had to get the new plumber because nobody else in the area will work for him.
oh you are good ! well done you

Thread closed if you don't have something helpful or nice to say don't say anything

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to fog horn sound after changing expansion vessel in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this for suitability. The thing is my son panics during tests/exams. Is there any book I can buy him to practice the multiple choice test for the exam? What...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock