Discuss Flux left on pipe - under floorboard?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

marshr02

Hi there. Just curious.....heavy DIY'er....just soldered to vertical coupling close to the floorboards (pipes coming vertically up from the void). Some flux - LA-CO - melted under the torch and ran down the pipe below the floorboards. Should I be worried?...keen to do a good job...and not create a problem in 10-20 years time!! Must say I'm a little confused between active/passive/acidic/non-acidic fluxes anyhow and how aggressive they are after the joint has been made....cheers for any info

laco will eat its way through in v long term like any flux if left on

Obviously the answer is a matter of degree. Flux on a section of copper pipe is likely to pinhole it slower than if left right on the soldered joint? And some fluxes chemical action largely stops after the heat goes? Given that LA-co is said to be okay on gas, I'm guessing a little left behind is going to cause a problem only over a VERY long period - unlike powerflow which I understand is the most aggressive flux?

Last edited by a moderator:
I bet lots of plumbers do this all the time at the radiators - and just leave it. Anyhow, seeing as I'm first fix in the room below I'm taking down the p/brd to check. The thing that gets me is there is SO much conflicting information regarding flux - for every pro saying one thing there's another saying the opposite.

I bet lots of plumbers do this all the time at the radiators - and just leave it. Anyhow, seeing as I'm first fix in the room below I'm taking down the p/brd to check. The thing that gets me is there is SO much conflicting information regarding flux - for every pro saying one thing there's another saying the opposite.

Don't worry about conflicting info. Just do it right.
Flux on pipe only unless specified
(Apparently Yorkshire specify a small amount inside fitting but that's not my words)
Wipe off excess flux
Solder joint
Wipe clean when cooled

Don't worry about conflicting info. Just do it right.
Flux on pipe only unless specified
(Apparently Yorkshire specify a small amount inside fitting but that's not my words)
Wipe off excess flux
Solder joint
Wipe clean when cooled

Thanks for reply. Yup - learnt in last couple of days to just put flux on pipe and wipe off excess flux - used to put it everywhere and flush really well. My issue in this case was I messed up and the joint wasn't complete. In this case I cleaned the entire freshly assembled fitting with wire wool and apply some flux on the outside over the solder joint - then heat and add some extra solder - in this case the extra flux dribbled down. How do you rework a joint? The conflicting info is regards the flux - I would rather do the elbow work and have a less aggressive flux if one exists still? cheers...

Laco Flux in contact with Track Pipe is really bad. allways cap off open ends untill ready to do the final connection. especially with Tracpipe. Tip From Top. Dont let the Flux Drop ;)

ie when soldering pipework on a boiler. when you have a open end bellow where your soldering ^^ allways close open ends

Does flux not neutralise itself after the initial corrosion.... Every action is an equal and opposite re-action...... was it Einstein or Newton?

Does flux not neutralise itself after the initial corrosion.... Every action is an equal and opposite re-action...... was it Einstein or Newton?

A certain amount of flux will 'run out' its corrosive capability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Flux left on pipe - under floorboard?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Short version: I have about 4" of pipe sticking out of a concrete floor in a cupboard. It makes a 45-degree bend as it exists (bent, not with...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock