Search the forum,

Discuss Flue tape....is it ok? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bunker

I showed this on the Hall of Shame, I repaired it by re-positioning, re cementing and re taping it. The question is - is it ok like that? Personally I recognise its not ideal but it is now sound and sealed. Another engineer has condemned the boiler because of this and the blast tube is fried (£15.55 HWOS). He also says the flue is too small. Im not sure Id condemn it for these, boiler runs fine, just a little old. The baffles are warped and 1 is split, but I rotated them.
cheers

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365443137.489900.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365443137.489900.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 175
It's not the correct flue for the appliance, is it?

You resealed it without using the proper clamps?

Don't get clamps on vitreous enamel. I was told that you can't use fire cement for sealing oil flues anymore. Think it was on my OFTEC assessment. Supposed to use high temp silicone. It's normally a case of economics. I use the silver foil as well does a good job. I swapped a Myson Velaire yesterday for another one. The bloke had been given an old one many years ago. I pressure tested it first and swapped it over like for like. The old one had burst and the bloke didn't have the cash for a new one. Taped and siliconed the flue as it was showing signs of passing poc.

To be honest, that boiler looks terrible. I would be interested to see an 'after' photo.

Lets just say, I'm not suprised it has been condemmed!

To be fair I'm not supriesed, the new eng that came would be scared to touch it I know I wouldn't want to put my name to it lol, it would be good to see a pic of it now tho :)

As I said when you posted it in the hall of shame: I would probably have condemmed it myself.

Nothing wrong with flue tape, thats what it is for, many old oil boilers have vitreous flues, nothing wrong with them as a startersection. Cant be used on condensers.

The other eng that came was after me lol. He condemned it based on the presence of the tape and the other stuff I mentioned. I should have taken an 'after' shot but it still wasn't pretty but those boilers never were. If you go round condemning every old boiler house model you see just because it looks grisly, well, that's not a very bright approach. I'd rather nurse one back into life than spank a custards pocket for poor reasons.

Totally agree, it's not worth condemming something just because it isn't pretty, but no one is going to argue with him too strongly for condemming it. Why was he called in after you?

The other eng that came was after me lol. He condemned it based on the presence of the tape and the other stuff I mentioned. I should have taken an 'after' shot but it still wasn't pretty but those boilers never were. If you go round condemning every old boiler house model you see just because it looks grisly, well, that's not a very bright approach. I'd rather nurse one back into life than spank a custards pocket for poor reasons.

I agree, as long as it's safe there should be no issue as far as aesthetics go.

Nothing wrong with flue tape, thats what it is for, many old oil boilers have vitreous flues, nothing wrong with them as a startersection. Cant be used on condensers.
wrong tape can not be used to conceal inspectable joints

Ya aslong as its safe then all good but I wouldn't want to put me name on it if it looked like that pic lol:) but agree I wouldn't condem if it was safe but didn't look good

Why was he called in after you?
Very good question, I should have covered that :)....because the call was primarily about inspection with a view to quote for replacement if necessary. The managing agent will always get a number of quotes. I couldn't walk away leaving it like that so I did some work on it to improve it while I was there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dogs dinner. Why can't it be replaced or reconstructed properly? It does not need tape, just properly installing.

Dogs dinner. Why can't it be replaced or reconstructed properly? It does not need tape, just properly installing.
Thats a recommendation on the report along with the blast tube replacement needed.

It wouldn't have taken much to take it out and straighten it out and do it properly..

It wouldn't have taken much to take it out and straighten it out and do it properly..

I didn't have much time there certainly not enough to disassemble, rake out the joints and clear up the adaptor etc. By leaving it straight and safe I had done my best, bearing in mind I was doing it out of responsibility rather than money as I wasn't getting paid to repair or service it.

I showed this on the Hall of Shame, I repaired it by re-positioning, re cementing and re taping it. The question is - is it ok like that? Personally I recognise its not ideal but it is now sound and sealed. Another engineer has condemned the boiler because of this and the blast tube is fried (£15.55 HWOS). He also says the flue is too small. Im not sure Id condemn it for these, boiler runs fine, just a little old. The baffles are warped and 1 is split, but I rotated them.
cheers
i am surprised you are asking this question ?

It's a good mixed bag of responses. :) If you were being paid to sort it then that's a different thing. But decided it's not safe and doing something to rectify it off of your own back then fair play.

Surprised anyone wanted to spend so much time and effort bodging it up with tape, when it would have been just as easy with less time and material to refit the flue properly.

blast tubes knackered, baffles need replacing and a flue in need of tlc at least. Personally Id have made it asfe and given them the choice of paying for a refurb or replace the whole thing. I wouldnt tape up the flue and leave it at that as it still has issues that then fall into your lap if things go wrong.

Personally Id have made it safe and given them the choice of paying for a refurb or replace the whole thing. I wouldnt tape up the flue and leave it at that as it still has issues that then fall into your lap if things go wrong.
if you read the thread properly you'll see that was the intention, to report on it and make recommendations. Yawn.
Anyway..... Tenant, landlord and agents all happy I made it safe while there and as of this afternoon, agreed to pay for the refurb. Overall cost will be a few hundred quid rather than a few grand so all happy except the other engineer who wanted a bigger job out of it. Sometimes you just have to fix stuff rather than replace it, doesn't seem a very common ideology :)

Blast tubes, I take it that the burner knackered, so combustion will be bad through impingement. Warped baffles won't help efficiency and could be adverse to flue performance. Badly installed flue could lead to products of combustion entering the room. AR at a minimum, ID if it is spilling products of combustion into the room. In any event it gets turned off and a do not use notice is issued.

if you read the thread properly you'll see that was the intention, to report on it and make recommendations. Yawn.
Anyway..... Tenant, landlord and agents all happy I made it safe while there and as of this afternoon, agreed to pay for the refurb. Overall cost will be a few hundred quid rather than a few grand so all happy except the other engineer who wanted a bigger job out of it. Sometimes you just have to fix stuff rather than replace it, doesn't seem a very common ideology :)

you need to go to bed if your tired, or stop breathing in all those fumes:)

Blast tubes, I take it that the burner knackered, so combustion will be bad through impingement. Warped baffles won't help efficiency and could be adverse to flue performance. Badly installed flue could lead to products of combustion entering the room. AR at a minimum, ID if it is spilling products of combustion into the room. In any event it gets turned off and a do not use notice is issued.

AR and ID don't apply to oil boilers.

we are PR or IR, but only to inform the custard to cover our six

I should have noticed this was oil and not gas earlier, teach me for not reading the threads properly. So just because its an oil boiler it can't be immediately dangerous? Well not using the GSR USSP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Flue tape....is it ok? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock