Search the forum,

Discuss Flue - passing through adjacent property in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

richard978

Gas Engineer
I've just turned a boiler off yesterday due to an escape but noticed the flue passed through the ceiling and into the flat upstairs.

Now I know that this is allowed in existing installations prior to 2010 but this is only a few months old. It's slightly complicated in that the building is an assisted living complex so I don't know whether there are any exceptions?

I also noticed that there was a fire collar around the flue which strikes me as very odd because surely you risk crushing the flue if it gets hot?

After having a chat with the building manager it would every boiler in the complex is installed this way?

I'm a gas Safe engineer but want some advice please? Gas Safe have told me it shouldn't so I've issued an At Risk to the flats I gained access to .....but I'm still a little unsure.

The fire collar will only expand when there’s a fire and tbh that’s what it’s supposed to do as the alu or plastic outer will melt

The fire collar will only expand when there’s a fire and tbh that’s what it’s supposed to do as the alu or plastic outer will melt

I've known fire vents close just from heat of a boiler compartment, this is something I've not seen before.

Also the collar was lathered in fire rated expanding foam which I also thought was banned due to the possibility of it crushing the flue.

I'm very unsure about this installation and it's certainly not the way I would have done it. But I've seen a few like this recently, maybe I'm wrong on this but it doesn't sound correct

With respect to the flue passing through an adjacent property, this is covered by Regulation 27(5) - flues only to be installed in safe places. Guidance notes generally tell you “new chimneys or flue systems shall not pass through any other dwelling as access for inspection may not be available”.

The Gas Safe Technical Bulletin (TB) 008 covers this topic in some detail.

In my view, it is not permitted for new installations

Last edited:
With respect to the flue passing through an adjacent property, this is covered by Regulation 27(5) - flues only to be installed in safe places. Guidance notes generally tell you “new chimneys or flue systems shall not pass through any other dwelling as access for inspection may not be available”.

The Gas Safe Technical Bulletin (TB) 008 covers this topic in some detail.

In my view, it is not permitted for new installations

Cheers that was my take on it, well I've turned one off due to a leak on the flue and AR on the ones I've found. I've done my bit but considering the planning that would have gone into that complex I'm just very shocked that it hasn't come up before. Especially when you consider they have gone to the extent of fitting fire collars but ignored building regs on the route the flue takes.

It is worth reading TB 008 - it places a level of responsibility of the GSR Engineer to try to gain access to adjacent properties to inspect the flue before issuing an AR.

It sounds like a tricky situation.
Whatever you do, make sure you have a full understanding of the regulations before you make any firm or decisive decisions.

If the installations don't comply with current regulations, and it's your call on the matter, don't end up being ridiculed from a misinterpretation of the regulations on your behalf.

Get someone from a regulatory authority to meet you on site and get them to make the final call

The O.P has mentioned Building Manager and Complex.

This doesn't sound like a block of independently owned dwellings.

I would assume due to the nature of the Residents that the complex is manned and / or has direct contact for a Warden to attend.
Therefore access to adjacent properties to inspect the flue should not be an issue as the Warden / Manager will have keys to all properties if required.

As it's a new build of multiple units it would be unlikely, but not impossible, that the Company that did the installation has got it so wrong.
I'd assume that as the building / boiler installation is only a few months old, the original installer will now return to repair under warranty.
They should be able to explain the reasoning as to why it conforms or equally why the guidance doesn't apply in this type of property.

Sure they go through other property and not have communal access in the m and e cupboards ?

Reply to Flue - passing through adjacent property in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock