Search the forum,

Discuss Flue marked as Dangerous? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,
I've just had my combi boiler marked as at risk / possibly dangerous due to some small "Thumbnail size" corrosion / oxidation of the end of the flue pipe, which I guess is due to years of condensation sitting at the end of the pipe.

thumbnail

I appreciate that a damaged flue could let exhaust gases back into the boiler and also this might be an indication of other damage which might be dangerous.
Should this be replaced as dangerous or is it just cosmetic?

Thanks in advance for any advice, replies, opinions.

Needs sorting new flue installed by a gas safe engy or new boiler depending on age eg if you can get a new flue etc

I would agree that needs to be dealt with.
It has worn thin due to condensates acidity over the years and the chances are that it is in poor condition throughout. As it worsens the Products of combustion will vitiate the combustion air supply and lead to incomplete combustion. The result is the production of Carbon Monoxide amongst various other unwanted gases.
If you can have the flue pipe replaced by a Gas Safe Engineer using a genuine part and the Boiler is worth saving, then that is a possibility.

However, Your Boiler is pre 2005 and I would expect it has reached the end of its life. You could throw good money at it and the replacement is inevitable anyway.

My advice, put your money toward a new Boiler.

i have a feeling you may not get a flue due to age if you can it will be fairly expensive and by the time you add parts and installation you may not be far from a new boiler pice

Reply to Flue marked as Dangerous? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock