Search the forum,

Discuss Flue dripping from exhaust and from air intake. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
My neighbours flue is installed on my property & is dripping condensate from both the exhaust and air intake whenever boiler operating. The exhaust has kit fitted and is one metre above air intake so the drips are from different locations but both check out as acidic (i.e. products of combustion). It seems to be a loss of integrity of a seal between air intake and exhaust. Can anyone tell me is this an ID or AR fault and can a registered engineer put an unsafe notice on it.

condensate dripping from air intake.jpgcondensate dripping fromj flue exhaust.jpg

Why was flue put in over your property. We need a few pics of the flue but from further away to show position. As probably breaches building regs if over your property.

tell your neighbour to get someone to check it out its most likely not installed correctly if its dripping from the tip. Take pictures and upload them. It could also be that the washers have been formed from being in one position for so long and someone may have moved it recently

As others have said, not AR or ID.

It might not comply with MI's but it's a matter for building control to check out.

As others have said, not AR or ID.

It might not comply with MI's but it's a matter for building control to check out.

Bit late to involve labc IMHO. This is why I'm trying to drag the info out the op.

If he's given the neighbours the ok for the flue to go where it is, labc involvement or not, he's stymied.

Fallen out with the neighbour have we?

Thought never crossed my mind either, especially given the response I got earlier. I'll allow him a wee back pedal.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP is too well-informed and detailed to be an innocent query. I suspect there's far more to this than we're being told... I can't help feeling that a notice has already been issued that the OP is hoping to undermine...

I fully agree it's probably a bit late, especially if the op has given permission for the install. But it's more of a labc issue than a gas safety one.

I can assure I am being up front. Just trying be short and to the point. I am not an expert although I have tried to do my homework before bothering you guys. The Flue was installed without permission. I rent this property and landlord gave permission for flue to remain despite complaints from day one of it dripping condensate and blowing fumes into my bedroom window. It is at the level of the window and 1 metre in front of it. The landlord cannot permit trespass as that right passes to me as their secure tenant. So the flue can't be serviced or inspected without my permission. As there is condensate dripping from air intake I was wondering if this constituted a potential leak between air intake and exhaust gases and if this made it either ID or AR. If so it can't continue to operate and as they have no lawful right to access it for repair/maintenance they will have to stick it on their own property and let me open my bedroom window when I like. I appreciate you taking time and trouble to comment. Thanks guys.

So LL gave permission. Bit late to back track

Ok, as said it's neither AR or ID, the fall is wrong is all. The flue is doing what it should.

However, if the landlord gave permission for it to remain then there's nothing you can do.

I should be wary of restricting access. If your landlord has granted permission it may put you in contravention of the small print of your letting agreement. But then the gsr would just note access not possible, he only needs to visually inspect it anyway and he could do this by hanging out a window, should there be a suitable one.

I can see where you're coming from but you're going about the issue the wrong way and portraying yourself in a bad light.

Why not get in touch with your landlord and ask him to contact your neighbour. As you are finding it a nuisance, he could ask if a plume kit could he fitted to divert the flue gasses away from the property you reside in.

I will add some more pics later and appreciate your comments.
I most certainly bow to your superior knowledge.
Thanks Guys

Last edited:
It is possible to retro fit an adaptor to the end of >some < flues that deflects and directs the plume away.
You may wish to suggest that to the neighbour.
Whatever you do. Do not interfere with, alter or adapt that flue. If you do you could wind up in court or worse as your unqualified and would be seen as malicious.
Can you add a picture from further away to show both properties - your window vs flue from the side angle if your with me..

Regarding access you will be trying to hold back the tide trying to stop that and again without just cause and acting in spite you will end up with court costs against you should he pursue access legally.

You may wish to look at
Access to Neighbouring Land Act 1992

Again if you act like an unreasonable a$$ and can show no loss or incurred expense as a result of necessary access then if it goes that way (to court for access) everyones had a great day out and you pick up the tab - as no court would prevent access on the grounds of maintenance for safety.

People just need to get along to make life easy - its too short to be bothered with crap like this imho

Looks like it already has a plume management kit installed, have you spoken to the owner of the property involved reasonably? Without seeing a the flue installation i can't really tell if a longer plume kit or just a slight adjustment of the elbow away from your window would solve this?

Hi Newcastle Phill. Thanks for taking the time and trouble it is very much appreciated. The same goes for all the others. It's my first go on a site like this and I am blown away with all the amazing replies.
I appreciate your warning Phill but can assure you I never have and never will interfere with the flue but good advice to anyone in a similar position who may be on a short fuse.
The Landlord is unwilling to help out in any way. They permitted a flue to trespass on my property against my wishes which is in breach of our signed secure tenancy agreement and Housing Act 1998. They are required by these to inform me & must have my consent before making any changes which may affect me. Also the installation does not meet GSR 28 "No person shall install a gas appliance except in such a manner that it is readily accessible for operation, inspection and maintenance" . Getting a court order certainly does not sound like readily accessible or does the need to let them in my front door and through my home into my garden. They could abseil into my garden but not sure this is part of GSR engineers job description ; D.
Access Neighbouring Land Act 2a is applicable here as flue could be easily located on the dominant land. 2b applies as putting a flue on the servient land make it substantially more difficult to carry out essential works. This amounts to Delict (checkout wiki for Delict). They could not make any successful application for an ANL order even if the court ignored the Housing act, tenancy agreement and tenancy laws because 2a & 2b cannot be satisfied. Very good point though Phill.
I was hoping for an easy fix by it being an ID or AR but the consensus seems to reject this.
Regarding lets all get along. That's a 2 way street. Why would the neighbour put a flue outside my bedroom window and then expect me to allow them to enter my home to maintain it? That sounds like being forced to let someone's dog **** in your house and then give them the right to come in when they like to clean it up.
The deflection kit is pointed away from my window but it is at the same height & about I metre in front of it. The flue exhausts into free air i.e. not against a wall so can be blown in any direction. As you probably know plumes can hang around and when a nearby window is open it as a bit like pulling a plug out and the water being sucked down a plughole. I am asthmatic and can't take the risk of long term exposure to products of combustion especially while sleeping. I just keep my bedroom window locked shut and use an extractor fan on the window with an air filtration system fitted where bedroom door transom window used to be. Altering the deflection kit might be a problem. I'll upload some pics to give you a better idea.
You may know about Landlord's annual gas safety checks. I was wondering if that would apply to a third party installations they permitted to be on their tenants property. It would seem proper in this case for the landlord to be obliged to ensure it's safe operation and issue an annual gas safety certificate exactly as they are obliged by law (GSR 36) for any gas installations they own as they essentially are the same thing.
Incidentally the Flue is in breach of Doc j (distance from boundary and roof opening). Funny but if my bedroom window was a roof opening that would also breach Doc J.
The flue is located close to my flue so wonder if that is an issue? (I'll upload some pics)
Sorry for the long post but believe me I am trying to keep it brief without omitting relevant info.
Thanks Again.

Could we please have a photo from further out so we can see your property their property and the flue

I may be missing the point on the situation but is your flue not doing exactly the same thing then. I'm not trying to be inflammatory or to wind people up but this is just all sounds a bit weird. I think you have three options
1. Put up with it
2. If you believe your landlord to be in breach of contract then make this your point and leave
3. Get an independent gas safe engineer in to see if there are any gas safety breaches

Don't play with that flue. The exhaust elbow has been moved to point at the window to make the situation look worse than it is. In one pic it's pointing to the side in another it's pointing right. DO not touch the flue.

Don't play with that flue. The exhaust elbow has been moved to point at the window to make the situation look worse than it is. In one pic it's pointing to the side in another it's pointing right. DO not touch the flue.

I noticed that. No gsr in their right mind would point the plume kit in either other them directions. It's clearly been tampered with.

easy enough to fix get a gsr to bring it down to the same level as your flue with the owners permission of course who ever fitted it has done what he would assume to be the right thing by raising it above the parapet to minimize nuisance without knowing the distances involved he may be inside the area he is allowed regarding the velux windows which would also be cured by lowering it

Wow. Must operate like a submarine periscope and turn around by itself - especially as the neighbour doesnt have access.

That is a 1st....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Flue dripping from exhaust and from air intake. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock